Cuben Fiber Tents/Tarps

Anybody use a Cuben tarp/tent? I'm thinking about taking the plunge and dragging one along to give it a whirl this year in the backcountry. Could get a nice setup for 8ozs.... Sure beats the 1.5 lb behemoth I'm carrying now *Sarcasm*. Anyway, anybody have any experience or use with the Cuben material for a backcountry shelter?

I've been looking at bearpaw designs and thinking about the bear den in cuben as my UL september shelter.

Gman

WKR
I'm interested in watching this thread. I've long been a fan of cuben fiber when I was first introduced to it in sail material. I think it's awesome in concept except for the cost and noise. But I'd love to hear more...

i always wondered if it was noisy as ive never had my hands on a piece. i couldnt believe how loud my tyvek was before i put in washing machine... like metal roofing!

shanevg

WKR
I've been looking at the ZPack tents as well. My buddy swears by them and use the two person last year while doing sections of the PCT. I'm going to go over to his house sometime in the next few weeks and check out his gear and set it up and see how I like it. I'll keep you all informed.

Just checked out the options by bearpaw wilderness designs... that la garita and pyratent are catching my eye. Really like the square design of the pyra over a circle style. Looks like a palace for one and sleeping two very doable.

Mike

OP
ohhiitznik
The bear den, La Garita and the Pyratent in cuben are calling me man. If they use them on the PCT then they should be fine for backcountry hunters. Would be nice to have a big shelter that weighs in at a scant .5 lbs.

The bear den, La Garita and the Pyratent in cuben are calling me man. If they use them on the PCT then they should be fine for backcountry hunters. Would be nice to have a big shelter that weighs in at a scant .5 lbs.

That Pyratent is looking wicked for sure... Take a tape measure and draw out 106"x80". That's a lot of space for 1 and definitely doable for 2. That plus a pyranet1 and 6 stakes runs at 34 oz (27 oz for the Cuben). Don't get much better than that...

Mike

unm1136

WKR
I have been looking at cuben for a while. I was about to open this thread when someone else read my mind and did it. Right now it is cos prohibitive. Hammock Gear has some nice designs and is experimenting with digital camo cuben. I have a bunch of other stuff I have to lighten up first. My first kifaru duplex pack is the EMR, so I may go cuben sooner than I think. I have heard complaints about the noise and the transluscence. I normally sleep in a stocking cap and pull it down over my eyes, so the transluscence may not be too big an issue.

pat

OP
ohhiitznik
I've heard about the noise, but is that really an issue unless things are rubbing against it or its flapping in the wind? Cuben doesn't stretch so if you pitch it tight it shouldn't be flapping too much to bother anybody. Especially if they hiked/hunted all day long.

Man after watching some videos of cuben set-ups, that stuff does not look very durable the way it just floats around... anybody got some specs on strength or puncture resistance?

Mike

I have a friend who hiked the entire Appalachian Trail with a cuben tarp. He did have a tree limb go thru the tarp at one point, but I suppose that's not the fault of the fabric. It was easily fixed with duct tape.
I don't have any specs on strength or puncture resistance.

Noise of the fabric is not an issue when pitched correctly or when fabric is taut.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got three cuben pack covers, some tent stake bags, and a roll top bag for bear bagging.

The material is tough and has no stretch. It isn't anywhere near as noisy as tyvek either.