Cuddelink 3rd Season Review

Huntfun

FNG
A little over 3 years ago, after a lot research on trail cameras that did not require accessing them in order to get pictures, I landed on Cuddeback Cuddelink G series because it offered the most cost effective way to run multiple cameras. There were a decent amount of good reviews given how new it was, enough for me to take the leap. I am now running 11 cameras that transfer pictures to a home base. I believe with the new firmware I can go up to 24 cameras. The G Series cameras cost on average $270 each.

The system Cuddeback has developed is ingenious and works remarkably well for me. While I do not get real time pictures, like my one cellular camera gives me, I get pictures throughout the day allowing me to know what is in my hunting area, which is all I wanted. I am able to get a good enough signal from my Home base to run all 11 cameras, no need for repeaters. I pay a one time $180 a year to run everything I have. I was paying $125 year to run my one cell camera, so I was saving a ton to cover a lot more area.

While the Cuddelink system works very well for me, the Cuddelink cameras are so poorly made I need to send multiple units back every year for repair or replacement. First year 2 went back, 2nd year 3 went back and this year I knave already sent 3 back, which they sent replacements, and have another 4 that are malfunctioning and need repair or replacement. New cameras are going bad with regularity in the first year of use. Thankfully I registered them all online and was given an additional year warrantee. Trust me you need the extra year!!!

While the cameras were not made well, the service I got from Cuddeback was very good and made the inconvenience of having to sent in multiple units, taking them out of service when I needed them most, tolerable. The first 2 years when I called service I always got through to a person and the turnaround time to get an RMA and repaired or replace cameras was good,. This year, which I understand is a COVID and unusual year, the service and response times have tanked to the point dealing with poor quality cameras has become intolerable. I have yet to get through on a call, waiting nearly an on hold only to then be made to leave a message. Call backs go beyond 2 days and if you miss the call you have to go through the entire painful process again. I finally got 3 replacements but have 4 more cameras that are malfunctioning and am still trying to get Cuddeback service to approve an RMA for them...taking them out of service when I need them most.

As a result of the poor camera quality, and now service, I am looking at new options for 2021. I am finding there are some very good priced highly rated cell cameras on the market today with very cost effective service plans too. I will likely pay more then the $180 service fee I pay today and, depending on cameras I go with more or less than what I paid for my G series cameras,

It's a shame because the cuddelink system works well in the situation I use it.

Anyone else having this experience with their Cuddeback Cuddelink system?

I am now looking seriously at Exodus Render which comes with 5 year warrantee and a service plan where you can add as many cell cameras to your plan.

Any suggestions on other systems I should look at?

This is my second year with cuddelink but I have been running cuddeback cameras for years now. I have 9 cuddelink cameras and haven’t had a problem out of any of them that required sending them back (2 K’s, 2 J’s, 5 G’s). The only real problems I’ve had is with the batteries. You must buy an external pack to run with these cameras which adds at least another $25. I like the system because I have poor cell service on my property. I agree that the G cameras are pretty expensive for what they are. Detection can also be an issue and a lot of people are switching to the centered lenses which I haven't tried yet. For customer service there are a couple reps on Facebook that are great to contact for troubleshooting problems, they respond quick and actually care about getting your problem solved. Another thing I like is that it seems that cuddeback in constantly trying to improve the system. However, I will say there is definitely room for improvement for the cameras and system itself.

I’m pretty sure covert came out with a system just like cuddelink but the cameras can’t daisy chain (since cuddeback owns the patent). They just transmit back to the base unit. I tried to email asking several questions about their new link system but they never responded so I didn’t spend any money on it.

The cudde link system seems ideal but I couldn't get over the negative reviews and the mediocre detection circuits on cudde cams.

There are so many new players out there.. We're using 1 Spypoint link dark (been great), two browning cams with spypoint cell-link adapters (1 has been great, the other a huge PITA). and 2 browning defender cell cams (great so far).

There is some great info and testing on trailcampros.com. I would really like to try out ridgetec as their nighttime pics look great for a No glow cam. https://www.trailcampro.com/products/ridgetec-lookout-4g-lte