Cummins diesel, buy it?

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for opinions on a truck. Have an opportunity to buy a 2006 dodge Cummins loaded with cloth, has 19000 miles for $27k

Was initially looking at Gm 2500 6.0 gas, but stumbled on this diesel, not a big fan of dodge, but the Cummins is great.

The opportunity to buy this low mileage, pre-emission Cummins is a once come opportunity. Should I go for it?

What’s the feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 04 cummins, I paid 18k with 99k miles on it. Fully loaded and very clean. Honestly I love it! I'm with you, I don't like dodge, but the cummins motor is bullet proof and literally a million mile motor. You'll have to spend a little bit more on maintenance, but you can also go longer with intervals on oil changes. A friend of mine had the GM 6.0 and gas mileage is awful. I get about 16mpg in town with my cummins. I have a heavy foot too, so that's really not bad. I've gotten about 20 driving cross country. If you did a gear vendors overdrive and converted the front end to manual locking hubs, some serious mpg gains can be had.

Grumman

WKR
I had one and it was a great truck. I ultimately traded it towards a new gas truck. Diesel repairs are expensive if you do have to work on them. The Dodge automatics kind of suck, the six speeds get better reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weak point will be the tranny unless it's a standard? Otherwise you'll still have 100$ oil changes and injectors every so often but that was a great generation of Cummins. The interior on that generation was kind of cheesy. If you need it dont hesitate. Hopefully paying cash because 27000 will cause a bank to sky Rocket interest on something that old. Aside from that it's a great truck

ahlgringo

WKR
Thats not a steal on the price, but that is a unicorn to find with that low mileage. Just rolled over 200k in my 01'. Did put a new tranny in at about 150 (known weak point- ATS in in town, so went with one of theirs) but other than that- normal maintenance- and I absolutely love that beast.

Elk97

WKR
My son bought a new 06 and has well over 200k on it. Great truck and he gets fantastic mileage, well over 20mpg on highway. Seems kind of high price for that old, hard to figure value. Some things wear out with age and others mileage so you'll probably have to spend some bucks on repairs as you put a few miles on it.

gbflyer

WKR
That’s still the good 5.9 engine.

It will have the usual Dodge stuff...up and down seat motor will quit, lumbar support will break...stuff like that. Very common, the fixes are all over the Internet. Cheaply built interior stuff that frustrates. That series also has some steering issues, I updated mine (‘07) to all 2014 parts except for the steering box. They drive like chit with a load on the hitch, drive like a Corvette empty or with a gooseneck load. Read up on it.

They’re not a bad truck, but they are no GM. The diesel is fine if you need it, and expensive pain in the butt if you don’t.

Yea that's a sweet find. Like above, price is probably reasonable but by no means are you robbing someone.

Point of reference, 2018 1/2- tons are still being offloaded at dealerships for right around the 30k mark so you can get a heckuva nice pickup for similar $$$ but if you need the heavier truck you've found s nice one

Xfactor

FNG
its a great deal and a super reliable truck...is it a short or long box? crew cab i presume? color? awesome find!

pm the info if you are going to pass please:)

gbflyer

WKR
Just read 6-speed. That’s OK, however they are hard on the factory clutch, especially if it’s been chipped up. Load the clutch up good, if it slips under a load it’s done. That’s another couple of grand.

tdhanses

WKR
I would be concerned with engine seals etc from not running for long periods and why does it have so low of mileage, also was it driven each year or for one and then parked. That said I’d offer $25k and be happy to get it.

tdhanses

WKR
Just read 6-speed. That’s OK, however they are hard on the factory clutch, especially if it’s been chipped up. Load the clutch up good, if it slips under a load it’s done. That’s another couple of grand.

Doubt it’s been chipped, probably owned by some old retired guy that pulled a camper a few miles each year, but just my guess.

tdhanses

WKR
Weak point will be the tranny unless it's a standard? Otherwise you'll still have 100$ oil changes and injectors every so often but that was a great generation of Cummins. The interior on that generation was kind of cheesy. If you need it dont hesitate. Hopefully paying cash because 27000 will cause a bank to sky Rocket interest on something that old. Aside from that it's a great truck

Yes $100 oil changes every 15k. I miss my 2003.

tdhanses

WKR
Yea that's a sweet find. Like above, price is probably reasonable but by no means are you robbing someone.

Point of reference, 2018 1/2- tons are still being offloaded at dealerships for right around the 30k mark so you can get a heckuva nice pickup for similar $$$ but if you need the heavier truck you've found s nice one

That is true, my Nissan Titan with the Cummins has a higher towing capacity if I remember correctly and has the same hp and tq as the 06 Cummins. I do like my Nissan way better then the 03 dodge Cummins as far as interior and comfort plus towing overall, but Deleted it pretty soon after buying.

My brothers 06 mega cab has had issues but all have been minor, overall with 180k it’s been good to him.

I traded in my 03 with 233k on original injectors and AT trans, bone stock.

Price seems high, but maybe not for your area. I have a 2006 with 136k on it. Bought it with just over 100 several years ago for $24k.
Mines the Bighorn.
My dad has a 2003 with 460k on it.

They are good trucks if you work on most of your own stuff. Otherwise it can get expensive. They like ball joints, seat motors, front wheel bearings, ect....
Oil changes and fuel filters aren’t bad if you do them yourself.

rayporter

WKR
price seems high to me.

I bought a NEW cummins 4x4 dually last year for $39000.

I have a '06 I bought with 25000 mi on it and gave $24000 for it 10 years ago. it now has 170xxxmi and been a good hauler.

a bud bought a '14 dually 4x4 last year with 50000 mi on it for $29000