Cummins diesel, buy it?

Fullfan

WKR
Very low mileage 5.9, which is a great motor that is pre emission and DEF. I had a 06, 14 and now a 17 Cummins. Only problem I had was with the 06 auto tranny, and that was because I tuned it with a Smarty and young and dumb..

Take care of the motor and you will see 350k miles if not more...

my dad has an 06 with an automatic. truck has nearly 300k on it and the entire truck is shot. front end replaced 4 times, injectors 5 times, and now the motor is junk all the bearings are shot and the block was no good when they pulled it apart.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
Price is definitely steep but I’d personally buy a low mileage 5.9 for 20k. I’ve never been a dodge guy but it’s hard to beat the good ol 5.9

I have a 15 GMC 2500. I would not recommend the pickup to anyone who didn’t need a 3/4 and/or wanted good gas mileage. When I go hunting I usually bring 15-30 gallons of extra fuel just for my pickup. On the highway I typically get 12 mpg-15 mpg and in town I am around 9 mpg. I just wouldn’t get the pickup to get into a 3/4 ton. If you need a 3/4 ton due to occasional towing than I would say go for the gasser. If your going to pull a lot, get a diesel! I am trying to find a half ton because I hate my fuel mileage and I do not pull anything anymore. Just my two cents.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
1500 miles a year is somewhat suspect IMO. Is it one owner? I'd do some research on it and interrogate the owner first. I left my Toyota at my parent's house for the 6 years we were overseas, and it saw more mileage than that every year just from when I'd come back each year for a couple weeks.

530Chukar

WKR
That’s a great truck. A little high on the price for being that old. I bought one brand new in 07 for $37k out the door. No problems with it other than a couple trannys and water pumps. Over 180k now. The manual is almost bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that price I would stay away! For one, if you wreck it, insurance will only pay out about half that price (know from experience). Also, if front end hasn't been rebuilt recently, new clutch/transmission, and new injectors - it will be needing some work soon (ours needed all of this from 150-200K). But, if you like to tinker it wouldn't be a bad project. When our 5.9 bit the dust, picked up a new 2014 3500 for only 40K,...

Jay09

FNG
Yeah not a steal but may be worth the money especially if plan on keeping it for a while. I have the early 07 with the 5.9 Cummins and love it. 19-21 mpg running 325/70/18 tires. No chip. Bought it with 100,000 miles on it. 157,000 now. Did replace transmission and had heavy duty torque converter installed at 150,000. It pulls gret but is rough riding!! You also may check about a recall on front end parts. Had most of my front end replaced about 110,000 free under recall. A few years around there had problems with ball joints and hubs. I’ve replaced 1 front hud but older trucks will have issues from time to time. But 19,000 on diesel isn’t close to being broke in yet.

rayporter

WKR
the best and most solid points are no def and I get great mileage with my ol 06.
it gets 21 empty where my new one gets 17 empty and add 10000 lb trailer and the old truck gets 17 while the new one gets 11 to 12mpg

one drawback is-no exhaust brake on my 06

but beyond a doubt the new truck has more tow power. it is just goes with no effort. the fuel cost is steep, however

Elksniper

WKR
Looking for opinions on a truck. Have an opportunity to buy a 2006 dodge Cummins loaded with cloth, has 19000 miles for $27k

Was initially looking at Gm 2500 6.0 gas, but stumbled on this diesel, not a big fan of dodge, but the Cummins is great.

The opportunity to buy this low mileage, pre-emission Cummins is a once come opportunity. Should I go for it?

What’s the feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an 06 6 speed and I’ve got over 200,000 on it and it still runs real strong,oil changes aren’t bad but I do my own.