Cummins Turbo guys

FLATHEAD

WKR
Couple years ago I bought a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins Turbo.
Mainly just use it for longer trips, not a daily driver.
Currently has slightly less than 44K miles.
Love the truck but its already starting to have some problems.
Back in Feb. on a trip to west TX., had a battery literally explode.
Thank God it was in the hotel parking lot and there was a WalMart right behind the hotel.
This weekend took a 4.5 hr drive up to N. Bama and got a warning on the dash about the
DEF system.
Was giving me a warning that it was going to be a max of 5mph in the next 150 miles.
Every 20 miles or so it would pop up again giving me the mileage countdown.
Again, very lucky we were almost to our destination and there was a dealer
across from the hotel. Ended up being the DEF pump (2K$) - Again, very lucky
the warranty I had bought covered it. I had literally picked it up from my local dealer
a couple hours before where it got a 500$ oil change/tire rotation/fuel filter/blinker replaced.
I cant imagine if I was in the middle of nowhere on an Elk hunt out West and that happened.
Especially if a dealer was more than 150 miles away. Thats a trip killer.
Rapidly losing confidence in this truck.
Is this normal for a vehicle with 44K miles?
Wishing I had bought another Tundra at this point.
Thoughts?
_

I have a 2015 ram 3500 and it’s the biggest pain I have ever drove… 85k miles and I replaced a turbo 6k. A few sensors on the def/exhaust system were 1500-2000 each. Seems like ever 30-50k I have had issues. I have put in 2 u joins on the rear drive shaft in 90k miles as well. No issues with the factory batteries yet on mine but any of the stuff related to the exhaust is expensive to fix and seems to break easily. Talking to my dealership they recommend driving it hard and long when you drive it if your not pulling a trailer. Short trips are no good.
I debated trading it in for a 2500 gas truck of some brand but prices are crazy right now.

145800 miles on a 2012 Cummins 3/4 ton. Replaced the ball joints at 120k and the fan clutch and thermostat at 130k. Other than oil and filter changes that’s all I’ve ever had to do to her. Rock solid truck that gets 17-18 mpg for the most part.

Oops, forgot. The front driveshaft lasts exactly 70 k before needing new u joints. The one I replaced it with crapped out at 140k. I can’t for the life of me get grease into the cv/ dual cardian joint, so I guess I’ll be replacing it at 210k lol. It’s a dumb design for sure!

SDHNTR

WKR
Oops, forgot. The front driveshaft lasts exactly 70 k before needing new u joints. The one I replaced it with crapped out at 140k. I can’t for the life of me get grease into the cv/ dual cardian joint, so I guess I’ll be replacing it at 210k lol. It’s a dumb design for sure!
You need a needle fitting on your grease gun. It’s not a zerk.

Vandy321

WKR
Not normal. But sounds like under warranty?

Why not get it fixed, take advantage of used prices being inflated and sell it for a hefty price-tag...get back into a full sized tundra, or power wagon if you like the dodge. I'd bet your dealer would almost give you a brand new PW for trading in that low mileage Cummins.

Trr15

WKR
I’ve got a 2015 2500 with about 93k on it. Had issues with alignment until they welded the drag link. Def pump and injector went at 72k. At that point I did a full delete and am running a straight pipe off the turbo with a 150hp tune. It’s been almost 2 years and haven’t had any additional problems. Truck runs great and I’m getting 20mpg. Hoping things stay that way.

You need a needle fitting on your grease gun. It’s not a zerk.
I know, I’ve got one, but that little guy is in a spot that’s dang near impossible to reach. I’ll just replace the assembly again at 210,000 miles lol 🤷‍♂️

Fullfan

WKR
I have had 3 in the last few years, all bought new. 06, 14,16 and now a 18. Never had any issues with any of the ones I owned. Most miles I had on one was 126k on the 06.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2016 Ram with 120,000 miles on it. At 45k I deleted the def and egr then added EFI live. At 75k I burned up the tranny but I I had my tuner up high and was pulling heavy loads as in 20k plus. Also its the crappy tranny not the aisin. Other than that been a great truck.
Before that I had a 2004 Cummins with 344,000 on it a great truck as well.
Now days the def systems destroy engines. I had worked for a company that ran Ford diesels in the fleet and after 36k they would pay to have the def system deleted. It saved money in the long run because by 90,000 miles they would be trashed if the def system was left in.

SDHNTR

WKR
I know, I’ve got one, but that little guy is in a spot that’s dang near impossible to reach. I’ll just replace the assembly again at 210,000 miles lol 🤷‍♂️
What I do I jack up one front tire. Crawl under there with a flashlight and rotate the tire slowly, which will spin the front drive shaft, until I find that fitting. Sometimes I need to spray it with some brake cleaner to find it, but it’s there.

tdhanses

WKR
My buddy had his DEF pump fail on his 2020 Ram at 10k, I have a gmc diesel and had my EGR fail at 10k, crap happens, but these issues are something I wouldn’t worry too much about.

You did get lucky that your Def pump didn’t fail back in Feb, as they were on national backorder for a few months, my buddies truck was down 2.5 months.

You do need to keep fresh def in it so if you don’t drive it much you could have def issues with any brand diesel as def really is only good for maybe 8 months once in the tank depending on temps.

Last edited:

Spoonman

WKR
I have a 2007 5.9 that I have dumped thousands of dollars into. Trans, tcase, both pinion seals, exhaust manifold, water pump, steering box, the entire front steering assembly (I mean everything), steering shaft, front axle u-joints, rear driveshaft u-joints(several). I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting . Pain in my ass and wallet!

I have a 2007 5.9 that I have dumped thousands of dollars into. Trans, tcase, both pinion seals, exhaust manifold, water pump, steering box, the entire front steering assembly (I mean everything), steering shaft, front axle u-joints, rear driveshaft u-joints(several). I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting . Pain in my ass and wallet!
This sounds a lot like my 2006 6 speed, which only has 150k on the clock. Every time I turn around something else needs fixing.

Nfish

FNG
This sounds a lot like my 2006 6 speed, which only has 150k on the clock. Every time I turn around something else needs fixing.

Same with my ‘06 6 speed. 135k on mine. It’s so bad I want to sell it, but I’ve spent so much fixing it I feel stuck.

Same with my ‘06 6 speed. 135k on mine. It’s so bad I want to sell it, but I’ve spent so much fixing it I feel stuck.
I would need to see 25k+ to cut my losses and get out. Which really isn’t out of the realm of possibility right now. As of now, I’m gonna drive it into the ground and squeeze out every bit of life I can.