Cummins Turbo guys

Fullfan

WKR
I bet you wish you had that 06 back. One of the best diesel trucks ever made, in my opinion.
The 5.9 was a good motor, I had a 3 disc built tranny installed, had it tuned w a Smarty. Truck rusted bad and it went down the road.

Kind of crazy hearing these stories of the 06 model years. I have a small sample size, but my Dad had an 04 he bought new and ran it to almost 200,000 with minimal issues. He traded it for a 2014 I believe, which he only kept for a few months and then sold it to go back to an 06 6 speed. Still driving that one today.

Also had another buddy with an 03 or 04 that just traded his in and it had over 400,000 on it

Not a truck but I have an old 5.9 mechanical in my boat that’s an 87, I bought it with 800 hours and I now have 3,000+ with zero issues. I’ve only done routine maintenance, it’s a work horse

New diesels are nothing but headaches until you delete the emissions crap and let them run like diesels need to. Problem is in many states you can’t do it legally.

After being a diesel lover for many years my last 2 trucks were gas and I’ll never own another diesel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of crazy hearing these stories of the 06 model years. I have a small sample size, but my Dad had an 04 he bought new and ran it to almost 200,000 with minimal issues. He traded it for a 2014 I believe, which he only kept for a few months and then sold it to go back to an 06 6 speed. Still driving that one today.

Also had another buddy with an 03 or 04 that just traded his in and it had over 400,000 on it
About a decade ago one of my best friends had an 06 auto. After years of dealing with transmission and electrical issues, and thousands of dollars in repairs, he traded it in. Somehow, I didn’t let that stop me from getting my own.

About a decade ago one of my best friends had an 06 auto. After years of dealing with transmission and electrical issues, and thousands of dollars in repairs, he traded it in. Somehow, I didn’t let that stop me from getting my own.
Haha we can be slow learners sometimes. I think that engine is what brought people in. Maybe they just did a poor job building a truck around it. I would agree those early Dodge Autos were terrible. My Dad started buying manuals in 98 and never owned another auto.

Mtnboy

WKR
New diesels are nothing but headaches until you delete the emissions crap and let them run like diesels need to. Problem is in many states you can’t do it legally.

After being a diesel lover for many years my last 2 trucks were gas and I’ll never own another diesel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. My warranty is up on my truck in December, I just hit Pay Now on a delete kit this morning. It will be going on literally the day after my warranty expires.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Not a dodge fan. I have known four guys who had them, I stress had. Everyone of those guys were real good at normal maintenance and everyone had non stop problems. It always seemed to run from $500-$5000. I put a lot of money in my 04 Yukon XL but only because I plan on keeping it. At this point I have 140k miles and it is in perfect shape. I have never had any major issues which require big $$$$ outlay.

Sherman

WKR
Damn, I guess I was lucky. Never had any issues with my ‘08. I deleted the EGR and DPF, ran straight 4” to the rear, tuned it to the tow mode, and never had an issue. 240,000 miles later I ran it through a barbed wire fence, insurance totaled it and gave me $23,000 for it.

I would delete all that crap including the DEF system and tune it.

11boo

WKR
I miss my 06 diesel sometimes, 250k trouble free miles, but stuff was bound to start breaking.

This will have to do for another 250k mile truck.

52620DA2-8C75-470B-A1EA-0A9CCB669C15.jpeg

OP
F

FLATHEAD

WKR
I think when I get a chance I'm going to turn mine in to a Tundra.
Life is stressful enough without a problematic truck.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Had 95 12 valve, 98 24v, 06 5.9, and 12 6.7. Have zero regrets going to a Tacoma once I didn’t need a diesel anymore. If I needed a full size I would go tundra. The Cummins is a fantastic engine. The ram and dodge aspect are compete garage imo.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an 18 g56 with a little over 90k. Had one DEF sensor go out under warranty. Tuned and deleted at 80k. Other than that it's been oil and filter changes and no issues.

Nfish

FNG
I would need to see 25k+ to cut my losses and get out. Which really isn’t out of the realm of possibility right now. As of now, I’m gonna drive it into the ground and squeeze out every bit of life I can.
I could probably get 28-30k for mine where I live, but with what I’ve spent on it in the last couple years I would still be taking a hit. I’ll probably end up driving mine into the dirt as well.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Emissions kills these poor trucks unless you really keep up on maintenance.

All of our diesels have the egr, dpf, and def deleted. They’ll go 300K with routine maintenance no issues.

Wingnutt

FNG
Had cummins diesels since 01 currently in a 17 3500, and have 6 in a work fleet. Best advise I can give is drive it as much as possible (diesels like work). And if you can delete that def system. That's the only thing other then basic maintance that will give you trouble.

OP
F

FLATHEAD

WKR
I have no idea what the long term reliability of my Tundra will be, but it seems solid.
I had an 06 Tundra I put 260K+ on with absolutely no repairs whatsoever. Was still running strong when I traded in on the Ram.