Curiosity...What do you think of your state's draw system????

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And go....

I'm curious as residents usually have an inside track on the way their own system works. If you are a non resident I would be curious what state systems you guys prefer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been a CO resident my entire life (55+ years), and I like our draw system. Outside of moose, sheep, and goat you can calculate pretty easily when you'll draw a specific tag.......unless you're just getting started and just HAVE to hunt one specific unit that takes 25+ points. Even moose, sheep, and goat seems to be well accepted. I know quite a few people who have drawn multiples of those tags over the years, so it can't be half bad. But going forward.......who knows.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm in Montana. I hate all bonus/preference/etc. systems with a passion. Everything should be random draw.

I do like MT's system where you put in your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, choice before a deadline and then have a drawing 2 weeks later. The systems where people have to log in and wait in line for their turn (Idaho?) seem crazy to me.

I will say I get a perverse pleasure out of how complicated NR's seem to think our draw system is.

sndmn11

WKR
I am in Colorado. By couple wishes for change:
1). I wish that when leftover tags came out in August, you would only eligible to purchase what you had applied for in your first through fourth choices. I think this would ease a lot of the system crashing, and force people to commit to a certain set of possible plans.
2). I wish that once a hunt code draw gets over 5 points, it triggers the hybrid draw scenario in that year's draw, rather than it occuring 5 years down the road or whatever time period it is now.
3). I wish that youth had a larger allocation in general, or a special season in some higher end units.
4). I wish that 2nd draw and leftover tags were automatically reclassified as list B.

slick

WKR
Our seasons are all over the place.
There’s no continuity
We cater to a bunch of special interest groups
Our youth system is f*****
Regulations are absurd
Point creep exists
Spike hunts during essentially OIL elk tags
Short seasons for our true OIL tags
PP are a joke
The number of points it takes to draw some of the perceived top tier units aren’t worth it
20+ pts for pronghorn tags gotta be poopin me
66 different seasons for 1 species.
Draw itself isn’t horrible 75/25 split
Antlerless deer tags taking 6+ points - what a waste
Turkey tags costing nearly as much as a deer tag
Controlled spring bear when you can kill 2 anywhere in the state on general tags in the fall
Etc etc etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pk_

WKR
Florida has a great quota system. True preference point and permits can be returned and are then re-issued thru random draw each week. Only real change I would like, would be that someone who draws a permit in phase 1(initial draw for the season) with max (or say 10 or more) preference points, that they lose 1 point if they return the permit instead of retaining full amount of points. I believe this would help mitigate some of the issues with the very high demand permits.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm in Montana. I hate all bonus/preference/etc. systems with a passion. Everything should be random draw.

I do like MT's system where you put in your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, choice before a deadline and then have a drawing 2 weeks later. The systems where people have to log in and wait in line for their turn (Idaho?) seem crazy to me.

I will say I get a perverse pleasure out of how complicated NR's seem to think our draw system is.
Personally I love our random system for residents in Wyoming. The only thing that might incrementally increase odds and provide some opportunity to rotate new people through would be waiting periods for the hight demand units.

87TT

WKR

Our "draw" system IS random. It's only the limited tags (non resident) that you have to wait but even that is "random" as your spot in line is assigned at random.

Oh and I like it just fine.

Bighorner

WKR
I really like the random draw for residents for elk deer and antelope, goat and bison. The PP allotment for moose and sheep is a joke. If you start building points today, as a resident, you are 100 years out for a sheep. It's a broken system in that regard and should be addressed.

bsnedeker

WKR
Our "draw" system IS random. It's only the limited tags (non resident) that you have to wait but even that is "random" as your spot in line is assigned at random.

Oh and I like it just fine.
You can argue semantics if you want to but a squared points system is far from random. Random draw systems mean everyone has an equal chance to draw and that is not even remotely the case.

Points systems are a money grab that favor old coots who have been collecting points for 20 years. They should be abolished.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I was talking about where "I" live, Idaho. Point systems suck!
Oh duh, my bad! Yes, Idaho has the best system for residents for sure. I also like the one in a lifetime tags for MGS. I think that's a smart way to do it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
The Oregon draw system works quite well. I would however change to two random numbers, 1 for the pp side and 1 for the random side. And bump the nr quotas to 10+%. Sheep/Goats don't use points and are OIL which is good in my opinion.

cgasner1

WKR
I love the way Montana does it with everyone being random and not having a certain percentage that goes to preferences points I wish moose sheep and goat was oil but that’s really not related to the way the names come out of the hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Oklahoma. Most hunting here is over-the-counter, but there are a few draw hunts on specific tracts of public land that are distributed via a bonus point system.

Most of my out-of-state hunting is archery elk in Colorado. I like Colorado's preference point system because it allows me to plan out my future hunts with a high degree of confidence. I have no interest in chasing premier tags, I just like to get out in the mountains and hunt. I'm content to draw low point tags every other year or so and find an OTC unit or another state on the in-between years.

gburk

WKR
Texas... some might say we are missing an opportunity to stick it to the NR. But I think it’s okay. :D