Curiosity...What do you think of your state's draw system????

Fatcamp

WKR
Deer for 4 mos., Waterfowl, Hogs, Gators, Predators, Turkey, small game. All season long, Every Year. No points.
Drive to NM for a week when I draw just to change it up
or maybe just up to TN or GA for Bear.
I'd hate to know I could only hunt 1 or 2 weeks of the season
for Big Game. That would turn me in to a year long fisherman.
Oh, and the fishing,,,,,dont get me started on the fishing.

You left out Iguanas and Anacondas. So jealous.

Antares

WKR
I'm a big fan of Alaska's pure random draw. I don't draw much, but it's exciting every year. If I were king of the world, I'd make some more resident allocations within the random draw structure.

Seems like preference point systems are somewhat detrimental for new hunter recruitment and retention.

BluMtn

WKR
Considering I've been after a bull tag in wa since 1992.... AND NEVER DRAWN, I'd say I'm less than impressed.
Hey wrench, we must be near the top of the list for the loser award. Could you do me a favor and poach a deer or elk and that way I can turn you in and get 10 more points. Might help my cause. Thanks.

Wrench

WKR
Hey wrench, we must be near the top of the list for the loser award. Could you do me a favor and poach a deer or elk and that way I can turn you in and get 10 more points. Might help my cause. Thanks.
My pard has pulled 2 blues bulls in 6 years. I'm so heavy on points now I don't choose quality and bull in the same year.

High level - NM is like ID with its random draw and no points. People say you have an equal chance every year, and "statistically" you do. But when the same people keep drawing really good hunts year after year, it makes you wonder why.

When you can't pull a tag year, after year, after year, people will say it's because you're putting in for the wrong hunts. Not true because of my first paragraph.

Tough to manage a public opportunity resource to make everything "fair"...

As a NR of Utah, Utah's problem is managing most species for trophy quality. To hell with trophy quality. That's why Utah's draw system sucks. Too few tags and too many applicants.

BluMtn

WKR
My pard has pulled 2 blues bulls in 6 years. I'm so heavy on points now I don't choose quality and bull in the same year.
:LOL::LOL::LOL: Had a good friend a couple years ago had a ton of points, some from creep and he also turned in a couple poachers. He drew both tags the same year. He was not a happy camper. And the thing is now the way the draws work your friend will have an easier time getting a third tag before you will get your first.

gburk

WKR
High level - NM is like ID with its random draw and no points. People say you have an equal chance every year, and "statistically" you do. But when the same people keep drawing really good hunts year after year, it makes you wonder why.

When you can't pull a tag year, after year, after year, people will say it's because you're putting in for the wrong hunts. Not true because of my first paragraph.

Tough to manage a public opportunity resource to make everything "fair"...

As a NR of Utah, Utah's problem is managing most species for trophy quality. To hell with trophy quality. That's why Utah's draw system sucks. Too few tags and too many applicants.
NM randomness... has there ever been an audit performed on their draw? I know a random distribution won’t be even but a guys gotta wonder
i don’t mean an 84% audit (those seem to happen annually) i mean a technical review

slick

WKR
Has there’s been an audit to any states draw system performed by an outside source?

Genuinely curious. I wonder what would show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NM randomness... has there ever been an audit performed on their draw? I know a random distribution won’t be even but a guys gotta wonder
i don’t mean an 84% audit (those seem to happen annually) i mean a technical review
They advertise randomness. Not saying I buy it, again, how can a household consistently draw excellent tags regularly.

The next part that doesn't make sense is their last name isn't one of those special ones in the state that provides special opportunity...

gburk

WKR
The next part that doesn't make sense is their last name isn't one of those special ones in the state that provides special opportunity...
I am thinking more of good old fashioned software bugs than anything purposeful. But who knows.

jtl

FNG
Some people drawing good tags over and over again is exactly what randomness predicts will happen. If you get 10,000 people to flip a quarter 10 times, there will be people who flip heads 10x in a row, and tails 10x in a row. Not many of them, but they exist. And those people are the ones that get all the attention and become the source of conversation. So the person who flips the coin and gets heads 10x gets talked about a lot, everybody has heard the story, and everybody thinks it's common. Nobody is talking about all of the people who put in for a 10% odds tag and drew it one time in 10 years. But that's the norm, and that's exactly what randomness says will happen.

gburk

WKR
Some people drawing good tags over and over again is exactly what randomness predicts will happen. If you get 10,000 people to flip a quarter 10 times, there will be people who flip heads 10x in a row, and tails 10x in a row. Not many of them, but they exist. And those people are the ones that get all the attention and become the source of conversation. So the person who flips the coin and gets heads 10x gets talked about a lot, everybody has heard the story, and everybody thinks it's common. Nobody is talking about all of the people who put in for a 10% odds tag and drew it one time in 10 years. But that's the norm, and that's exactly what randomness says will happen.
I know I know but this is NM we’re talking about

ND here. Bonus point system for deer. They start cubing the points at 4. OIL tags are random. I would rather you had to choose one species to apply for like Idaho. That way a serious sheep hunter could apply for sheep and a moose hunter could apply for moose. There just aren't enough tags to go around so that would help increase your odds to draw at least your number 1 species you would like to hunt.

Overall I like Idaho the best. I am a swing for the fences type of applicant usually. It just increases your odds to draw a tag for the species you actually want to hunt.

BlueMtn and Wrench. I drew the blue's twice. 1 rifle tag and 1 archery tag. I just browsed the new WA regs the other day and it is crazy how few tags there are now. Pretty sad.

I’m a big fan of Alaska’s completely random draw system. It would be pretty discouraging putting in for tags that I am 20 years behind on points for. I’ll probably never draw a Delta buffalo or Unimak Island brown bear tag but it’s nice to know I have as good of a chance as anyone of drawing. Of course when you don’t draw up here there are still plenty of OTC opportunities for sheep, goat, moose, caribou, deer and bear
I pretty much agree with this....until the results come out and it's yet another year that I didn't draw the TMA tag that I've been putting in for now for over a quarter of a century.

AKDoc

WKR
I’m a big fan of Alaska’s completely random draw system. It would be pretty discouraging putting in for tags that I am 20 years behind on points for. I’ll probably never draw a Delta buffalo or Unimak Island brown bear tag but it’s nice to know I have as good of a chance as anyone of drawing. Of course when you don’t draw up here there are still plenty of OTC opportunities for sheep, goat, moose, caribou, deer and bear

I pretty much agree with this....until the results come out and it's yet another year that I didn't draw the TMA tag that I've been putting in for now for over a quarter of a century.

I agree with you guys completely. It's a good system, although most years I just shake my head when the results come out...thank goodness for the OTC harvest tickets that are there for us. My daughter has been pretty lucky though...she has drawn a couple of very low-odds permits. I also knew a guy, who over the course of maybe six years, drew the TMA, Delta Bison, and a Kodiak brown bear hunt...he's a nice guy but was starting to piss me off!

If it makes you feel any better TB, I never drew TMA either in at least the same length of time...and as you already know we have a lot of company in the loser category with that permit!