Curiosity...What do you think of your state's draw system????

wapitibob

WKR
They advertise randomness. Not saying I buy it, again, how can a household consistently draw excellent tags regularly.

The next part that doesn't make sense is their last name isn't one of those special ones in the state that provides special opportunity...

Have you seen their tags?

I know a guy on another site that says he draws an Elk tag in XX every year. Having actually looked at his account for years I can tell you he lies.

HunterEng

FNG
Everyone is pissed at South Dakota. Must mean they are doing something right.
You get this wierd east river, west river thing that goes on in sd. West river guys equally hate east river guys and non residents, heck they might hate the east river guys more. Then that all factored into changing the draw, now everyone is ticked

Fatcamp

WKR
You get this wierd east river, west river thing that goes on in sd. West river guys equally hate east river guys and non residents, heck they might hate the east river guys more. Then that all factored into changing the draw, now everyone is ticked

LOL. Add in excluding nonresident archery deer hunters from hunting September and the whole apply in the spring or you can't hunt public land and ya, everyone is pissed about something.

Homer

FNG
I agree with you guys completely. It's a good system, although most years I just shake my head when the results come out...thank goodness for the OTC harvest tickets that are there for us. My daughter has been pretty lucky though...she has drawn a couple of very low-odds permits. I also knew a guy, who over the course of maybe six years, drew the TMA, Delta Bison, and a Kodiak brown bear hunt...he's a nice guy but was starting to piss me off!

If it makes you feel any better TB, I never drew TMA either in at least the same length of time...and as you already know we have a lot of company in the loser category with that permit!
You guys aren’t missing much. Those flaring 40inchers are overrated anyways. On a serious note I was lucky enough to pull that tag a few years ago and it’s an incredible hunt. Just looking at the stats from last year it was a 1-2% chance of drawing and after that big die off they had and tag cuts I’m sure the odds of getting drawn are worse now.

Felix40

WKR
I like NM randomness but it does make it very hard to plan out your fall.

CO has a great system for planning because you can know when you will draw deer and elk tags.

AZ is confusing enough that I wouldn’t even understand it without goHUNT.

TX has the worst system of any state I’ve ever heard of. You can apply for every species in every area and each app only costs a few dollars. If you are willing to just apply to everything you can draw hunts. If you have a couple that you actually want you have less than 1% chance.

Have you seen their tags?

I know a guy on another site that says he draws an Elk tag in XX every year. Having actually looked at his account for years I can tell you he lies.
The ones I'm talking about actually pull the tags because I know them personally.

D_Eightch

WKR
I am good with the way ND does it. If i land a rifle tag i consider it a bonus, archery is always there.

I do wish they handled the Elk, Moose & Sheep tags differently though.

Would be nice if your name went back into the pool after a certain time has passed once drawn. Sucks knowing I won't ever get to chase Elk in my Home State with my own tag again.

WRO

WKR
I like Nevada overall, I'd do away with the 5 choices and go to 2.

Idaho has oil tags right, but the draw odds are atrocious for limited deer/elk/antelope hunts.

Oregon has probably the best point/hybrid draw system in the nation, Az isn't bad either. (But they have the worst website)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
I like Nevada overall, I'd do away with the 5 choices and go to 2.

Idaho has oil tags right, but the draw odds are atrocious for limited deer/elk/antelope hunts.

Oregon has probably the best point/hybrid draw system in the nation, Az isn't bad either. (But they have the worst website)

I grew up in Oregon would love to go back and hunt the tag I’m chasing I’ll probably never see they give 5% to non resident and half of that goes to guide sponsored so if your gonna chase Oregon be aware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am good with the way ND does it. If i land a rifle tag i consider it a bonus, archery is always there.

I do wish they handled the Elk, Moose & Sheep tags differently though.

Would be nice if your name went back into the pool after a certain time has passed once drawn. Sucks knowing I won't ever get to chase Elk in my Home State with my own tag again.
Most people will never hunt elk here at all, getting to just once is pretty fortunate. It’s like 500 tags for 20k applicants; allowing people who’ve already drawn to get back in would drive the odds down even further.

Sheep is much worse, as you know. 4-6 tags a year, ~15k putting in for them.

D_Eightch

WKR
Most people will never hunt elk here at all, getting to just once is pretty fortunate. It’s like 500 tags for 20k applicants; allowing people who’ve already drawn to get back in would drive the odds down even further.

Sheep is much worse, as you know. 4-6 tags a year, ~15k putting in for them.

I get that, just me being selfish ;). I drew back in 2011 and didn't have a clue what I was doing (2nd time applying). Took my buddy out with his tag in 2018 (1st time applying) and got a nice Bull. Hopefully I will be fortunate enough to tag along on some other hunts if friends draw. Pretty crazy that either of us drew in the first place I agree.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I wish their was a cap on points, say 15 to 20 or so. I'm in my early 30s and there is just no way for me to ever catch up to some of these draws in my lifetime. A cap would keep it more fair then random to people who apply every year while making it possible for anyone to eventually get enough points to draw.

I get that, just me being selfish ;). I drew back in 2011 and didn't have a clue what I was doing (2nd time applying). Took my buddy out with his tag in 2018 (1st time applying) and got a nice Bull. Hopefully I will be fortunate enough to tag along on some other hunts if friends draw. Pretty crazy that either of us drew in the first place I agree.
I can’t relate, but I’ve heard quite a few stories like that. I know a guy who drew when he was 15. He didn’t fill the tag and wishes he had never applied that young. It’s unfortunate.

I think if they raised the prices, those situations could be avoided.

Spike elk

WKR
Idaho, it's good.

Only thing I would change is the timing, finding out if you drew elk, deer, antelope tags in late June is too late.
True story. Hard to believe that Idaho is still living in the dark ages of snail mail. It is possible not to find out the draw results until July. Shouldn't take a month to take care of business. Other than that all I have to complain about is my bad luck in the draws.

gwh97

FNG
To put a finer point on it, the overall probability of drawing one 10% tag in 10 years is 65%.
View attachment 283495
This... I like knowing there’s a better chance of drawing a tag multiple times in a ten year period vs drawing one 10 pt tag in the same period.

I’m a fan of NM’s random system. I’ll take my chances, although hindsight is 20/20 when you don’t draw an elk tag in 10 years lol.

I’m ok with Montanas draw. Also like that MSG is not OIL. We don’t put much stock in limited draw elk areas, we put in and if we hit 👍🏻. Plenty of good bulls in general. Pronghorn is getting a little harder, it used to be a given every year for residents but those days I feel are over.
Bonus points are nice too.

WRO

WKR
I grew up in Oregon would love to go back and hunt the tag I’m chasing I’ll probably never see they give 5% to non resident and half of that goes to guide sponsored so if your gonna chase Oregon be aware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oregons screwed when it comes to non resident draw odds..

But from an ex resident perspective it was pretty good.

CorbLand

WKR
I wish their was a cap on points, say 15 to 20 or so. I'm in my early 30s and there is just no way for me to ever catch up to some of these draws in my lifetime. A cap would keep it more fair then random to people who apply every year while making it possible for anyone to eventually get enough points to draw.
Capping points will do nothing to help draw odds.