Curious Question - Nosler Ballistic Tip

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
With everyone getting so much bench time I wanted to ask this - with all of the new hot Long range projectiles for long range shooting, why isn’t the Nosler Ballistic Tip in the conversation.

With its redesigned shank, similar to the accubond, to control expansion, it still has a very solid expansion at low velocities.

I know it’s not the most aerodynamic compared to others but is it a crazy idea to think it should be in the conversation for long range hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
The Nosler Ballistic Tip is a good bullet but there are so many that are better. I have found it to be a LOT more accurate that their Accubonds and Partitions. I don't hesitate to use a Partition for a hunting bullet and have used the BT's for hunting in the past. (Have never gotten consistent enough groups to use AB's hunting) Hornady's SST which is their equal to the BT's has been a more consistent bullet for me and the Barnes TTSX are very good and even more accurate for me are the Berger Vld's.

The bc on a ballistic tip is overstated from factory.

that and they are fairly expensive for what they are.

Eld-m cost less and across the board have higher bc

and for a few pennies more scenars or bergers can be had.

I've found the 140gr Berger 7mm to be about .51 bc out to 1000.. whereas a 40cent 140gr btip is only about .45 or so.

NBTs have low BCs. There are plenty of rapidly expanding bullets with high BCs so they are inferior for longer ranges.

I was shooting 150 BT's from my 7mm/300 Win Mag before guys figured out to put Long and Range into one word, killed a few bulls in Snake R. then lost one to bullet failure, looked for a "better" elk bullet, tried Grand Slams (yep, those ugly blunt things) discovered that they would end the conversation quick out around the 500 yd but I enjoyed the stalk so much I'd nearly always close to as close as I possibly could (pre rangefinder days but I had a range determining reticle that Premier Reticle and I came up with that worked accurately) …. BC's matter less than good shooting and hunting skills me thinks

Sled

WKR
i shot the AB and BT in my 270wsm and 300wby. for the 270, started with 130gr for both ab&bt and used the BT's as practice rounds w/ AB's for hunting. they shot nearly identical for me. the AB's grouped slightly better with the same load. eventually i went to the 150gr ballistic silver tip. no complaints out to 500 yards for double lung shots. rarely did i get a full pass through and rarely did i find enough of the projectile to weigh other than the cup/jacket. after 500 yards i found other projectiles to fly better. that didn't mean i couldn't hit with the BT's but it sure made it easier to hit. it was similar to going from a 223 to a 6.5cm. just seemed to find the mark better at distance when any wind was involved.

i've moved away from lead projectiles but the bt's did well for me at medium ranges when shooting soft tissue. try the eld-x if you want something a step up and inexpensive.

I've shot 2 bulls at around 500 yds with ballistic tips, one with a 150 gr out of a .280 Rem, the other with a 180 gr out of a 300 Win. They both killed the elk right there. Trouble I had was at closer ranges. I switched to a 154 SST in the .280, got slightly better groups, and started getting pass throughs at shorter ranges with less meat damage and a slightly better BC. Switched to Hornady Interbonds in the 300 Win, same thing....better accuracy, less meat damage, better BC. Now there's an entire array of bullets that will perform great at "long range".
That being said, the Ballistic Tip is still a good bullet that is usually my go-to for accuracy testing a new rifle. In most cases, not all, if a rifle can't manage nice accuracy with a Ballistic Tip it needs to go down the road.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any long range experience with either, but have hunting experience with both. I use them both out of a .280 and a 7mm08. Out to 200 yards, they shoot very close in point of impact and group size. What I have noticed is the Accubond hits a lot harder, and damages less meat. The Ballistic Tip usually does a lot more damage. Big holes, lots of blood, but animals more prone to running off a bit. I like them both, and depending on the mood I am in that day, I will load my gun with either of them and be confident for whitetails. For an animal the size of an elk, I'm loading Accubonds.

260madman

WKR
I like an NBT but I’ve only taken a few deer at mid range (300-600) with them. All dropped in their tracks. A couple (325 and a bit over 400) with my 7RM using 150s. Then a couple with my 260s (310 and 540) using the 100gr NBT at 3300fps and 3500fps. The 3500fps is from a 28” barrel.

None of these exited. Now the 300 yards and in deer I’ve taken have all had exits. 6.5,7,and 30cal.

Mosby

WKR
I have taken several deer with NBT. The furthest was around 400 yds but most were within 50 yds. I don't remember any exiting. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I have never lost a deer using them. They shoot well in my 30-06. I have several boxes that I bought years ago, so I continue to load them for deer but nothing larger.

I have taken several deer with NBT. The furthest was around 400 yds but most were within 50 yds. I don't remember any exiting. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I have never lost a deer using them. They shoot well in my 30-06. I have several boxes that I bought years ago, so I continue to load them for deer but nothing larger.
Ballistic Tips are clearly defined on Nosler's website as Deer and smaller game, NOT elk bullets - accurate bullets that fill a niche

Mosby

WKR
With everyone getting so much bench time I wanted to ask this - with all of the new hot Long range projectiles for long range shooting, why isn’t the Nosler Ballistic Tip in the conversation.

With its redesigned shank, similar to the accubond, to control expansion, it still has a very solid expansion at low velocities.

I know it’s not the most aerodynamic compared to others but is it a crazy idea to think it should be in the conversation for long range hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some long range shooters in PA that use and recommend 30 caliber BT out to 800 yds for deer. They switch bullets for shots further than that, fwiw. Works for them.