Current .45 or new 10mm

I killed a black bear with my 10mm and it took a mag dump to put him down.
I sincerely hope I never have to use it on a grizz, I still pack it for archery but would rather have an AK pistol for a charging bear!
I watched one die from a single 10mm round. What ammo were you using?

Although I love the 45, for me 10mm would get the nod with a double stack mag. I doubt I could get a second mag up and running with a bear charge.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
The truth of the matter is, you won’t stop a charging bear unless you hit it in the brain or spine. Will a 10mm a 9mm or a 45 penetrate a bear skull? I’m guessing so. Body shots and handguns don’t mix to create fast drops. Handguns simply don’t have enough velocity and fragmentation to create large wounds in comparison to rifle cartridges. Even 44mags don’t have that much punch compared to a full powered rifle.

Wrench

WKR
I'd add a spring and run 45super and never look back. This coming from a guy who has killed a bear up close with a 10mm and owns all the above. I carry a 9mm with 147 berry's often. If I were likely to encounter a big bear, I'd have my 329pd.

One thing I encourage is to shoot your defense load at night. A 10mm stoked with blue dot throws enough blast and flash to make follow up shots impossible in the dark.

Saw a bear skinned that had six 45 caliber HP slugs in it. They appeared to have been there for years. Don't carry hollow points.

Wrench

WKR
My 200gr xtp did a trip through the skull, and 16 inches down the spine destroying everything on the way.

I planned on having a hardcast 200 in it when I needed to shoot a bear.....

But it didn't work out that way.

200 grain hp loads
I hit him 7 times out of 10 in the chest and face while he was charging my dog
That makes sense. My uncle shot a cow in the head several times with hollow points, and it didn't penetrate. One shot with one of my buffalo bore Hard Cast went clear through it. Bullet selection is way more important than caliber. My 2-cents.

Sixgunz

FNG
Saw a bear skinned that had six 45 caliber HP slugs in it. They appeared to have been there for years. Don't carry hollow points.

What he said. Double Tap 200gr hard cast is about the only ammo I keep in my Glock 29 when in the woods. Another reason for carrying a sidearm is your speed in delivering bullets into a threat that's charging. Trying to do that by unshouldering & raising a rifle up...then trying to find the threat that's 30-40 feet away in your scope set for 200+ yards is a recipe for failure.

That makes sense. My uncle shot a cow in the head several times with hollow points, and it didn't penetrate. One shot with one of my buffalo bore Hard Cast went clear through it. Bullet selection is way more important than caliber. My 2-cents.
I totally hear you but the thing is they didn't even expand.
Penetration was pretty good, and one broke his shoulder while another did the same to his jaw and lodged In the neck
It takes a really frangible pistol bullet to expand from what I've seen, muzzle loaders are really similar

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I have a S&W 610 revolver in 10mm and a 1911 .45 full frame. In both cases I use hardcast bullets. Do not use HP. You need high energy deep penetration. Take whichever gun you’re the most proficient with.