Current Android phone offerings in relation to how good the GPS is?

oldgoat

WKR
I'm eligible for a new phone, will be getting Android for sure. Currently have an LG V-10 and overall it's been a solid phone but the GPS can be a little slow to a lot slow getting a good fix, even sometimes in spot where it shouldn't have a problem, my wife's Motorola gets a fix almost instantly but it's lacking camera functions which is real important me. How's the new Samsung S8 for GPS? Any others out now with good camera and good GPS?

colonel00

WKR
I have an S7 Edge and it seems to do just fine. Plus, these newer Samsungs are "waterproof" which is quite nice for outdoor usage. Cameras on the newer phones are pretty amazing for stuff most folks need.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I got the S8 in August due to changing carriers. Loved my S5 Active for its ruggedness before that. GPS had always been solid on both models. The new camera on the S8 is incredible. I was a little worried about the curved screen (was going to buy S7 instead but the 8 was cheaper), but it hasn't been an issue yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kraze

FNG
The GPS is fairly good on my S7. I like to use the app GPS Status to download A-GPS data if I'm going on a trip soon. That can help speed up the time to first lock if the A-GPS data is old.

Also, GPS systems in smart phones are about to get a significant improvement with the new GPS chip that is coming out. Accuracy is supposed to go from 5m for today's chips to 30 cm with this one, while using half the battery power: Superaccurate GPS Chips Coming to Smartphones in 2018 - IEEE Spectrum

We don't know what phones those will be in yet though, and they aren't due to release until 2018.