Cursed Rifles?

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Does such a thing as a 'cursed' rifle exist? You know, the one that every time you haul it out, you never see any game. Or when you take it to the range, something always goes wrong?

And if these bad juju rifles exist, can they be fixed? The curse somehow removed? Maybe a new paint job on the stock? Different scope? New mounts?

Or the only remedy to pass it off to someone else?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A rifle I would send down the road if I didn’t like it, but always the problem is me.

Ive sold my last two bows because of bad luck and I didn’t click with them. Haha 😂

I’ve had some bad luck with my current bow but worked on my self to fix the problem. Getting closer for bow shoots and waiting.

I do believe you need to be confident in your equipment and your self.

Wrench

WKR
I had one that was a prick. It fell off a motorcycle and I noticed 8 miles later when staring at a herd of elk.

That poor little rifle was BEAT. I rebuilt it and the first day back in the field it dumped a bull.

I suggest throwing them off your bike and rebuilding them.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I am starting to think my current rifle is cursed. In the 5 years I have carried it into the field I have had 0 opportunities at a shot. But it's probably me more than the rifle. Was looking at getting a new rifle anyways to test the theory.

I had one...it was a gorgeous Browning A-bolt Stainless stalker in 270wsm. Bought it new around 06-07. Couldn’t get it to shoot, missed the 2nd largest buck I’ve ever shot at and finally got rid of it. Sold it to a buddy at a greatly reduced price with a disclaimer. Fast forward to date and it is still his favor rifle. He slapped a Bushnell Elite on it and has killed game all over the county with it. Says it’s a tack driver. Tried to get it back several times and he won’t have it. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Lol. Yes I've had a few rifles like that and the first time out with the new owners they are all smiles. Holding wide heavy racked deer. Lol. Oh me! Putting a new 7-08 ackley together hope it's the rabbit foot.

Years ago I owned a Marlin in 308MX...this was pre-remington sale and it actually was wonderful at the range. I took it on 3 elk hunts and I took a very nasty fall on each of those 3 hunts including one where the rifle was underneath me on the long slide downhill. I no longer own that particular specimen and haven't really had an issue keeping my feet under me since.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lol. Yes I've had a few rifles like that and the first time out with the new owners they are all smiles. Holding wide heavy racked deer. Lol. Oh me! Putting a new 7-08 ackley together hope it's the rabbit foot.
7-08 ackley is awesome.

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I owned a Marlin in 308MX...this was pre-remington sale and it actually was wonderful at the range. I took it on 3 elk hunts and I took a very nasty fall on each of those 3 hunts including one where the rifle was underneath me on the long slide downhill. I no longer own that particular specimen and haven't really had an issue keeping my feet under me since.
See that's exactly what I mean. Those weird things that happen whenever you take a certain rifle out...

I've got a rig that I'm considering dumping, but the problem is I really, really, like it. If I can somehow "uncurse" it, I'd like to. But my experience to date is that bad juju items just need to be sent packing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I found a knight muzzleloader on armslist at a price that was too good to be true. When I found out the posting was real, I was worried it was stolen or something. I decided to meet with the the guy anyway and it turns out he wasn't sketchy, just superstitious.

Apparently he missed the largest elk of his life with that muzzleloader, then hit another elk and totalled his truck while driving home from that hunt.

So far I've had great luck with it.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I might have a rifle conjuring juju as we speak. Figured I’d take my first rifle hunting for memories sake, a Marlin 336 in 30-30. A doe walked out, thought I’d shoot her. Completely missed the deer and busted my eyebrow all to hell. I can assure you, that was the rifles fault and definitely not my own.

On the other hand, my dad bought a Rem 700 mountain rifle in 30-06 years before I was born. After he used it a while he decided to paint it, due to it being too shiny. It looks nothing like the DIY paint jobs you see here, I’ll say that. Growing up it was always called “the ugly gun”. I’ve killed my two biggest deer to date with it, and am 100% confident that if I’m struggling in the woods, the ugly gun can help. No telling how many deer that rifles has put a spell on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eoperator

WKR
I had a nosler m48 300wsm beautiful rifle was so proud of that thing until I shot it. The rifle hated me evertime I pulled the trigger the bolt knob would peel the hide off the top of my trigger finger. Other people shot it and said it was a mighty fine rifle. Never hit an animal I shot at with it, good riddance....

Had a rifle that was dead on everywhere but this one ranch. After a few years, the curse got lifted. Literally moments after the kill the rain stopped, clouds parted and sun came out. Got a cool buck out of it. Sold the rifle immediately after that hunt. Figured I’d quit while ahead.

260madman

WKR
Let your wife use it. She’ll shoot a buck with it and the juju leaves. I did that with my Ruger 260 and she killed a 10pt buck with it. I have a M7 260 and so does she. Mine hasn’t killed a buck yet, hers has a few. I should swap scopes around and she’d never know the difference.

On the opposite end I have a few that are horse shoes when it comes to hunting.

KID

FNG
Paid good money for a 7mm. Couldn't get it to shoot worth a damn. After 3 years finally got it right but I still lack confidence and hate the gun. I hung it up and bought a cheapo Thompson center compass 30.06 from sportsman's. I think it's the best shooting gun I own. Some just fit you right and some do not at all.

If you have a rifle that can never find game your rifle IS cursed, but its curse is being owned by a garbage hunter ;)

Jokes aside, if you don't believe in your equipment sell it asap. Lack of confidence in your rifle will ruin every hunt start to finish.

I don't believe in good or bad juju... but I do agree that confidence in your chosen tool trumps all.

I have a couple examples -

I was out shooting my 300wsm a week before bear season opened and all was well. Two weeks into season I have a decent bear at 160!!! yards. Should've been a chip shot, but I missed(clean), and then missed again at 200(again cleanly, had a buddy with me to verify). I blamed it on the rest I had. Two weeks later, before another trip I hit the range to verify it isn't the rifle... well, the rifle was shooting 6" low! I ended up taking another rifle for that trip but the damage was done, same bear held up just out of sight.

I had been toying with switching to an archery deer tag(spoiler - I didn't). A week or two ago I was out shooting my bow and all of a sudden it started shooting far left. I was puzzled - I missed my target at 60 yards by 2-3 feet! I shot another arrow - right where I wanted it. Shot another - missed. Moved to 20 - missed. Haven't been able to repeat it since! I assumed it might've been how I was "gripping" the bow, but my wrist angle and whatnot didn't change... and even now I can go out and drill the center. I tried more back pressure, I tried less, I tried moving my wrist slightly in one direction or another and I just can't repeat it. To say I've lost some confidence in that bow would be an understatement. I don't think it has bad juju, but until I can replicate the misses I just don't feel confident shooting it. I shot my other bow shortly before this incident and I had zero issues.