Custom antler handle knives

Floater00

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for someone to make knives using antlers that I have.

My best friend and hunting partener died unexpectedly. I have several several sets of whitetail and mule deer antlers of his from hunts we did together. I would like to have a hunting knife made for myself and his cousin. I would like also like to have knives made for his wife and sister.

If anyone does this, or knows of someone that does I would be very appreciative to know.

Thank you.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry about your friend.

Ask this question in the knife forum of 24hour campfire. Lots of custom makers there

Lawnboi

WKR
image.jpgimage.jpgSorry to hear of your friend.
Years ago I had a mule deer antler handle knife made by red rock tool in SD. Have a few other knives from him, all very impressive. Anyways my wife and I went shed hunting in spring, found plenty antlers and stopped at Steve’s shop to have an antler handle knife made. We picked the antler out of a pile of them, and he indexed it to my hand. He also builds an antler handle knife right, the tang runs through the bone, and out the end where it was peened with a nice piece of bronze as a cap. The knife was hand forged, a shape I drew out and with a built in guard as specified by myself. I told him I wanted it made tough for hard use and he delivered, it’s cut up a hand full of deer. If I lost my house tomorrow I would consider this knife one of few things that is not replaceable.

He’s also made me a few filet knives and a boning knife. He was awesome to work with, and a genuinely nice guy. I’d give him all the business I could, I just don’t need more knives. I highly recommend giving him a call.

I would suggest doing it yourself, there are very good blade blanks on different web sites, just do some re-search and be selective with them, I do not forge blades but have put together a few knives over the years, plus it adds too the fact you made it. A couple simple tools is all you need. Nothing aginst custom builders, I find enjoyment in using things I crafted in my hunting adventures, The knife I currently use is going on 15 years old and has been through whitetails, Wyoming antelope and a Ontario bear and still going strong. For a custom knife I suggest looking up Wick Ellerbe, he is in florida and a very good maker, do not know if he would be available but it is worth a go.

svivian

WKR
unaweep forge here in grand junction makes amazing custom knives. I drop antlers off to him occasionally. I’m sure he would do it for you if you sent them in.

Otherwise I agree making them yourself would be even better and more fulfilling process to remember your friend.

Sorry for your loss