Custom barrel mistake. Live with it or send it back?

After waiting 14 weeks, I received my custom 7x57 barrel for my vintage (1960) Savage 110. It is replacing the shot-out 30-06 factory barrel. These old Savage barrels had the rear sight swell, and the walnut stocks were inletted (perfectly) to match.

When I asked the manufacturer if they could match the contour of that 61 year old barrel, they said no problem, just send in the original barrel. So I did. And 14 weeks later, I got back a custom barrel that was literally perfect in every way except one.

The bluing is spot-on. The contour is dead on and the lettering even times exactly right when the barrel is correctly headspaced (which is very rare). HOWEVER, the barrel swell is off by about 1/8". I have no idea how they can miss that detail by so much. When you line up the barrels, it's very noticeable. VERY noticeable. How do you send that barrel to bluing, I wonder???

I could easily remedy this situation by inletting around that barrel swell on the new barrel. It would take me literally 5 minutes. BUT, every time I look at that stock, I'll see their mistake. And I'm getting to an age where I feel like I should get what I want when I spend my money. That said, I don't really want to wait another 14 weeks either.

So what would you do? Send it back (if they will take it back), pay return shipping for both barrels, waste an otherwise perfectly good custom barrel and wait 14 weeks for it's replacement to show up?

Or would you just inlet the 60 year old stock 1/8" live with the noticeable gap, head to the range and learn to ignore it? I mean, at the end of the day these really are 1st world problems, but at the same time, I did give them $400 of my money too.

I'm really on the fence here and want to hear your thoughts. On a scale of 1 to 5, how upset should I be here?

Attachments

• IMG_0584[1].JPG
    IMG_0584[1].JPG
    360.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0585[1].JPG
    IMG_0585[1].JPG
    301.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0588[1].JPG
    IMG_0588[1].JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Craw3773

FNG
Normally I'm a pretty easy going guy, but this time I think I'd send it back. If thr barrel was 2 week turn around, I think you already would have. Once you get down the road, 14 weeks won't seem so long.

I would also assume if you are cordial with McGowan, they will make it right, and get you in the front of the line.

In general, I have found the more cordial I am, the more willing companies are to do the right thing

TxxAgg

WKR
I wouldn't be happy.

I'd talk sweet and hope they fix it quickly.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Two people mentioned talking cordially and sweet. Generally, I don't do otherwise. However, why should the make any difference when a manufacturer makes such an obvious mistake? Is my time worth nothing?

Scotto

WKR
Vintage rifle, you sent them the original for them to match, they said no problem. I would definitely get in touch with them to make it right.

gbflyer

WKR
I’d contact them, hopefully they respond. You even sent them a pattern. No reason to botch that one.

I ordered a 5 contour fluted awhile back and asked for the flutes to be held back 2.0 from the muzzle. Nope. WTH...it shoots good.

OP
Newtosavage
Honestly the one thing I'm agonizing over here is the timing of the lettering (roll stamp) on the barrel. What are the chances that the next one they make will be spot-on like this one? Very small. So do I risk sending the barrel back and getting one with the bulge right but the lettering off? I think that would bother me as much or more than having to inlet the stock 1/8".

Decisions decisions...

It's not a heirloom piece and I didn't get it from a relative. Nobody will notice that little gap in the stock inletting but me (probably).

Gah! this is frustrating...

OP
Newtosavage
I’d contact them, hopefully they respond. You even sent them a pattern. No reason to botch that one.

I ordered a 5 contour fluted awhile back and asked for the flutes to be held back 2.0 from the muzzle. Nope. WTH...it shoots good.
I've already sent an email with pictures. At the very least, I want them to know they screwed up and hear what they have to say. That will tell me a lot about the company.

Rob5589

WKR
Honestly the one thing I'm agonizing over here is the timing of the lettering (roll stamp) on the barrel. What are the chances that the next one they make will be spot-on like this one? Very small. So do I risk sending the barrel back and getting one with the bulge right but the lettering off? I think that would bother me as much or more than having to inlet the stock 1/8".

Decisions decisions...

It's not a heirloom piece and I didn't get it from a relative. Nobody will notice that little gap in the stock inletting but me (probably).

Gah! this is frustrating...
Can you send them the action?

Pretty poor form to get on here and bitch about it without giving them the chance to make things right