Custom barrel mistake. Live with it or send it back?

OP
Newtosavage
Pretty poor form to get on here and bitch about it without giving them the chance to make things right
Okay, so noted. I went back and removed the manufacturer's name in the original post.

I was actually asking about whether I was being a whiney little bit%h for even worrying about it. Based on the responses, I don't think so.

Getting on here to ask the question doesn't preclude them from doing the right thing. They still have that opportunity and if they do, I'll be sure to mention it here. Might even gain some customers if they do.

What's poor form is sending a barrel that far off to 1) be blued and 2) pass final inspection and shipped. Ray Charles could have seen that was not right.

Last edited:

Craw3773

FNG
Two people mentioned talking cordially and sweet. Generally, I don't do otherwise. However, why should the make any difference when a manufacturer makes such an obvious mistake? Is my time worth nothing?
It seems like these days everyone wants to go from 0 to 99 in 3.2 seconds. In my company, if that happens, you get exactly the letter of the law and nothing more.

On the other hand, we deal with a lot of great people, and when everyone works through a mistake with respect, we generally go above and beyond to make it right.

OP
Newtosavage
It seems like these days everyone wants to go from 0 to 99 in 3.2 seconds. In my company, if that happens, you get exactly the letter of the law and nothing more.

On the other hand, we deal with a lot of great people, and when everyone works through a mistake with respect, we generally go above and beyond to make it right.
I think we're all wired that way to some degree.

woods89

WKR

This.

OP
Newtosavage
Manufacturer contacted me today and said that was an obvious mistake and they will make it right. I figured that would be the case. I still haven't decided whether I'll send it back though. I hate to give up a barrel that has the lettering timed perfectly. You almost never get that on a prefit. Untimed lettering is something I've learned to "grin and bear" on other prefits. I've had several that timed under the barrel and the information was completely hidden, which is both useless and potentially unsafe.

Manufacturer contacted me today and said that was an obvious mistake and they will make it right. I figured that would be the case. I still haven't decided whether I'll send it back though. I hate to give up a barrel that has the lettering timed perfectly. You almost never get that on a prefit. Untimed lettering is something I've learned to "grin and bear" on other prefits. I've had several that timed under the barrel and the information was completely hidden, which is both useless and potentially unsafe.
Well set headspace then ship the barreled action back to get the lettering.

OP
Newtosavage
That be about the only way I'd see it being perfect.
Maybe you could find a local to letter it.
I'm sure I could. But I don't need it to be perfect. I'm not that guy. This is a rifle I expect to beat up pretty hard over the next 20 years before I give it to a grandkid. That tiny gap in the stock will be the least noticeable flaw by the time I'm through with it. LOL

OP
Newtosavage
Well, after all the great feedback and a good night's sleep, I've decided to just keep the barrel. Like I said above, I don't need perfect. I'm not that guy.

They offered to replace it but I can't stand the idea of throwing away a perfectly good barrel for such a tiny thing. I can inlet that stock and in time I'm sure I'll forget all about it. The stock already has some wear marks that are worse than a little gap around the barrel swell would be.

Just them offering to replace the barrel straight away with no argument was enough for me to be satisfied.

OP
Newtosavage
I mean id inlet the exact amount of gap in the far side to.
So atleast its even 😇
I just did. It took less than 5 minutes to do. It actually looks fine. I have seem much larger gaps in older Savage stocks. It's really a non-issue.

I guess the chance of losing that perfectly timed lettering, who knows how many weeks without the barrel, and the idea that we'd be tossing an otherwise perfectly good barrel in the trash was more than I could stand. I absolutely hate the idea of wasting anything. Just not in my nature.

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage
Took it to the range, and using 7mm-08 load data, got a nice node for 120 TTSX's at 3000 fps. That's a great start, as that has been my go to deer load for the past couple years now.