Custom Build Advice

I just ordered a custom carbon stock from McMillan for my H&H. It is the Game Scout model and I got to handle one on an XBolt Hells Canyon McMillan rifle the other day. I really like the way it feels and the carbon fill should make it extremely lightweight. The only problem is that I have to wait 6 months for it to be built.

It sounds like you're sticking with the factory tube but wanted to point a couple things out about getting a carbon barrel:
1. Make sure the shank diameter on Browning matches what is used on M700's - in trying to build a tikka with a proof, they are different shank diameters and the availability is greatly diminished compared to barrels for M700 pattern actions.
2. Your stock will need to be re-inletted (this is probably obvious to you) if you get a carbon barrel someday. I would make sure you order with the appropriate barrel channel for what your future intentions are. It wouldn't look good with a big barrel channel and factory barrel but functionally it's fine.

OP
JohnyRingo
I don't think I am going to go with a carbon barrel with this rifle. That was more of a curiosity than a need. The stock needs to be replaced and I'll see what that does to my shooting. I am hoping for 1/2" moa.

This
Different approach...

If you just want a 1/2MOA rifle...why not just spend $2k on another rifle? Lot's of 1/2MOA rifles out there within that price range and you don't have to roll the dice and chop up your Browning in the process.

I know if I had a 1 MOA, .300 H&H in an X-bolt....I'd not be apt to start taking it apart. You could very easily spend $2k and wind up with a 1MOA X-Bolt at the end of the day. I'd spend some more time at the bench and see if I can improve the load before I took it apart.

This ^^

It may not sound like it, but 1 MOA from a .300 H&H is prett darn good.

If your expectations are a 1/2 MOA rifle, you may be setting yourself up for a major disappointment.

My 2 cents ...

OP
JohnyRingo
If I were just shooting 2-shot groups, my current rifle is a 1/2 moa rifle, so I know what the ole H&H can do. But, the 3rd shot is putting it back at a 1 moa rifle. I can't seem to squeeze that 3rd shot in there. I just feel that the flimsy, rubber stock is the culprit. I guess if the new McMillan stock doesn't tighten the 3-shot groups, then I will accept that the rifle is just a 1 moa rifle.

BigHink66

FNG
Not sure what your reloading experience is. Did you play with various powders, bullets, seating depth, sorting your brass, etc. You may have the rifle you want, but don’t know it. You may not be capable of it yourself as a shooter. Your technique in the bag and getting the rifle to recoil the same will also play a part to an extent.

Also, you should try stiffening your current stock and have it bedded and see if that gets you where you want.

It’s your money though, but as with anything else you start with the small variables first and one at a time.

Good luck

OP
JohnyRingo
I haven't messed with my loads much since getting the rifle. I am going with what has worked in the past and I am limited on how far I can seat the bullets out because the detachable magazine. Again, I know what this rifle can do with one cold shot and one luke warm shot. The third shot is just not as tight. I have already had to sand some of the barrel channel away to keep the stock from touching the barrel. I have thought about putting an aluminum block in the stock but to me, that's like putting lipstick on a pig. Besides, I am a gear junky and I have so much gear now, that I don't have much more to accumulate. This McMillan stock seems like a good investment.

BigHink66

FNG
I just meant you should try the least expensive easiest to test variables first.

Work a load up specific to your rifle is probably less than $100.

Stiffening your stock is even cheaper and will let you know before spending $600 on a top of the line stock if you should expect a the results your after.

Brad61537

FNG
Hello All,
I'm new to these forums as far as posting a question or asking for an opinion! I apologize if I'm posting to a thread that may be old or if I violated some rules to how I should be posting to this forum. With that being said here it goes...
I also have a browning xbolt that I'm looking to complete some upgrades to it. I already have the McMillan stock for it that I absolutely love as well as the timney trigger. Does anybody know if truing the browning action is needed or if you have done so have you noticed an improvement? My gunsmith stated to me they do not work on browning actions & only work on Remington actions. Not sure if its because they dont feel the need or maybe just are not familiar with them. They are very popular company & do exceptional work with exceptional accuracy! So anybody that has dealt with building on the browning/xbolt action can help I would appreciate it. Thanks & stay safe!

Brad61537

FNG
I haven't messed with my loads much since getting the rifle. I am going with what has worked in the past and I am limited on how far I can seat the bullets out because the detachable magazine. Again, I know what this rifle can do with one cold shot and one luke warm shot. The third shot is just not as tight. I have already had to sand some of the barrel channel away to keep the stock from touching the barrel. I have thought about putting an aluminum block in the stock but to me, that's like putting lipstick on a pig. Besides, I am a gear junky and I have so much gear now, that I don't have much more to accumulate. This McMillan stock seems like a good investment.
I was just curious on what you decided on with your xbolt rebuild from years back? Did you have the action trued or not? If you didn't how is it shooting? I have an xbolt I'm looking to upgrade & my gunsmith does not work on browning actions so I'm also skeptical? Thank You, Brad

Hello All,
I'm new to these forums as far as posting a question or asking for an opinion! I apologize if I'm posting to a thread that may be old or if I violated some rules to how I should be posting to this forum. With that being said here it goes...
I also have a browning xbolt that I'm looking to complete some upgrades to it. I already have the McMillan stock for it that I absolutely love as well as the timney trigger. Does anybody know if truing the browning action is needed or if you have done so have you noticed an improvement? My gunsmith stated to me they do not work on browning actions & only work on Remington actions. Not sure if its because they dont feel the need or maybe just are not familiar with them. They are very popular company & do exceptional work with exceptional accuracy! So anybody that has dealt with building on the browning/xbolt action can help I would appreciate it. Thanks & stay safe!
Brad
Many gunsmiths don’t work on Brownings due to the fact the barrels can be pretty stubborn and I think some are 32TPI which can strip out easily. There are some gunsmiths that will work on browning rifles though. I think Pierce may work on them. Could give him a call.
Are you planning to rebarrel the rifle? How does it currently shoot? I definitely wouldn’t “true” an action and reinstall a factory barrel.

Last edited:

Brad61537

FNG
Brad
Many gunsmiths don’t work on Brownings due to the fact the barrels can be pretty stubborn and I think some are 32TPI which can strip out easily. There are some gunsmiths that will work on browning rifles though. I think Pierce may work on them. Could give him a call.
Are you planning to rebarrel the rifle? How does it currently shoot? I definitely wouldn’t “true” an action and reinstall a factory barrel.
Yes I’m going to rebarrel it as I wanna go to either a 27’ or 28’ & gonna tighten up the twist rate as well. It shoots really good now, however some of the bullets I wanna reload require a tighter twist & the Bullets I use really like a tight twist anyway. I’m currently at a 1-9.5 twist & wanna get it to a 1-8 or maybe 1-7 as I haven’t decided. The company I’m sending it into does everything except true browning actions. Thanks

OP
JohnyRingo
I was just curious on what you decided on with your xbolt rebuild from years back? Did you have the action trued or not? If you didn't how is it shooting? I have an xbolt I'm looking to upgrade & my gunsmith does not work on browning actions so I'm also skeptical? Thank You, Brad
I ended up bedding the McMillan stock that I got for it and that did nothing for the accuracy. Then I did something I should have done in the beginning. I measured the overall length to jam and realized my loads were too long. Since then, I have been messing with seating depth and I am now around 0.75 MOA. I think I can do a little better than this but it's a little cold in Wyoming for load development. Lesson learned. I've never had a rifle this sensitive to seating depth.

Brad61537

FNG
I ended up bedding the McMillan stock that I got for it and that did nothing for the accuracy. Then I did something I should have done in the beginning. I measured the overall length to jam and realized my loads were too long. Since then, I have been messing with seating depth and I am now around 0.75 MOA. I think I can do a little better than this but it's a little cold in Wyoming for load development. Lesson learned. I've never had a rifle this sensitive to seating depth.
I was curious whether you ended up having the action trued on the browning xbolt? Your original thread I was referring to was the one that you stated you had 2 options? One of your smiths that was familiar with browning actions & didn’t feel they needed to be trued? So I was curious if you ended up not truing it & how it was performing? Is that the one you stated you were getting .75 mos moa after adjusting your seating? Thanks

Yes I’m going to rebarrel it as I wanna go to either a 27’ or 28’ & gonna tighten up the twist rate as well. It shoots really good now, however some of the bullets I wanna reload require a tighter twist & the Bullets I use really like a tight twist anyway. I’m currently at a 1-9.5 twist & wanna get it to a 1-8 or maybe 1-7 as I haven’t decided. The company I’m sending it into does everything except true browning actions. Thanks
What company?

OP
JohnyRingo
I was curious whether you ended up having the action trued on the browning xbolt? Your original thread I was referring to was the one that you stated you had 2 options? One of your smiths that was familiar with browning actions & didn’t feel they needed to be trued? So I was curious if you ended up not truing it & how it was performing? Is that the one you stated you were getting .75 mos moa after adjusting your seating? Thanks

I did not have it trued for fear I was going to mess up something that could be fixed by other methods. Adjusting seating depths was my last alternative before thinking about trueing and rebarreling. Fortunately, it looks like adjusting the seating depths is doing the trick. After researching seating depths, I feel I can get my XBolt down to 1/2 MOA.

In the meantime, I think I have decided to use my XBolt for strictly hunting and buy a different rifle for leisure long range shooting. I am looking at a Christensen Arms Traverse in a 270 or a Fierce Carbon Rival in a 7mm. I've always wanted to own a rifle with a carbon barrel.

If you are still set on trueing and rebarreling, I feel that there are enough smiths out there to do the job.