Custom Build Thoughts and Gunsmith Recommendations

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Tired of shooting my pre-64 model 70 and want to build a long-range tack driver for hunting, shooting 140-180 gr bullets with primary being 168 berger. I am relatively settled on a 280 ai since I am a fairly recoil-sensitive shooter. After researching, I have come up with the following build:

*Disclosure. I am new to this and know nothing. All thoughts and criticisms welcome.

Stock: AG Composite Adjustable Alpine Hunter. I understand the weight cost of going with an adjustable comb but I have a very high cheek and no standard drop combs fit me.

Barrel: Proof Research Carbon Fiber 24in w/ 1/8.4 twist. Hopeful that an 8.4 twist will accommodate 180-198 gr bullets without adversely affecting 130s-140s. I believe a 24in barrel will give me enough room for full powder burn on faster burning powders and save me the inconvenience of a 26in hunting rifle.

Action: Defiance Machine Ruckus GA Hunter nitrite coated with .003 tolerance

Trigger: Triggertech Diamond

Scope: Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 SIDE FOCUS DUPLEX

No muzzle brake. 280ai only recoils 18lbs and I'd rather not worry about ear plugs in the field. No bipod. I shoot off my pack or trekking poles.

Is there anything in the above that seems like a not great idea? Also, I am located in Florida. Does anyone have any recommendations for a well-respected gunsmith who could put this together for me somewhere in the SE or anywhere for that matter but SE preferred?

Thank you for your input and good luck this season!

Alex Wheeler built me the best rifle ive ever touched. He is in Montana and specializes in LR benchrest and LR hunting rifles

Dave Tooley in eastern NC

These are the two gunsmiths I would/will use going forward.

For someone that is recoil sensitive, and hunts without ear pro I would really suggest a can.

archp625

WKR
Hey guys,

Tired of shooting my pre-64 model 70 and want to build a long-range tack driver for hunting, shooting 140-180 gr bullets with primary being 168 berger. I am relatively settled on a 280 ai since I am a fairly recoil-sensitive shooter. After researching, I have come up with the following build:

*Disclosure. I am new to this and know nothing. All thoughts and criticisms welcome.

Stock: AG Composite Adjustable Alpine Hunter. I understand the weight cost of going with an adjustable comb but I have a very high cheek and no standard drop combs fit me.

Barrel: Proof Research Carbon Fiber 24in w/ 1/8.4 twist. Hopeful that an 8.4 twist will accommodate 180-198 gr bullets without adversely affecting 130s-140s. I believe a 24in barrel will give me enough room for full powder burn on faster burning powders and save me the inconvenience of a 26in hunting rifle.

Action: Defiance Machine Ruckus GA Hunter nitrite coated with .003 tolerance

Trigger: Triggertech Diamond

Scope: Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 SIDE FOCUS DUPLEX

No muzzle brake. 280ai only recoils 18lbs and I'd rather not worry about ear plugs in the field. No bipod. I shoot off my pack or trekking poles.

Is there anything in the above that seems like a not great idea? Also, I am located in Florida. Does anyone have any recommendations for a well-respected gunsmith who could put this together for me somewhere in the SE or anywhere for that matter but SE preferred?

Thank you for your input and good luck this season!
I think you are on the right track. I am not located in Florida so I cannot help on names. What I would recommend is to find someone within driving distance to you and go chat with them and check out their shop. Maybe get some references and search on the internet for some reviews.

As far as build I think you are on the right track. I would also check out Manners stock, specifically the EH1. They make a carbon fiber riser that wont add much weight at all. I also wouldn't through out the idea of a radial brake. They will cut some recoil but also are much better on the ears for the one shot out in the field. The side ports are awesome but you are right they will blow your ear drums fast.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Alex Wheeler built me the best rifle ive ever touched. He is in Montana and specializes in LR benchrest and LR hunting rifles
When I contacted Wheeler he said he was swamped with benchrest builds and won't even accept hunting rifles at the time (roughly a year ago), may be different now.

Also not SE, but I will recommend Kampfeld Customs in Idaho every time. I shipped all my parts to him and it was easy as could be. Check out my review thread on a 280ai he built for me, and the responses in the post.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of ways to go about this. I've used local small shops and "big name" smiths. I've had good results from both. If you're looking for someone in the SE, Altus Shooting is a "big name" in Florida and carries a large number of components. You might talk with the smith you choose first before you marry yourself to particular components. You will probably have a much shorter lead time if you look to get a barreled action or a pre-fit barrel to screw on yourself rather than go for a full build.

I've had great luck with my 8.4 twist 7mm proof barrel. If you're set on carbon wrapped, I'd say go with sendero or bull instead of sendero lite.

For me, I would look at the Manners LRH stock over the AG Composites adjustable. The LRH will be lighter, and IMO the LRH might be the best hunting stock (not chassis) currently on the market.

For a hunting rifle, I wouldn't go with the Diamond trigger - Primary or Special IMO.

Pick your poison in terms of actions.

Good idea to skip the brake. They are a poor choice for a lot of folks.

With the components you are looking to use, you're probably in the $3,500 - $4,000 range for the rifle build, and you're looking at a $1,000 optic? Given the make believe option, I would much rather go with a $4,000 optic on a $1,000 rifle than the reverse. If you're budget maxes out at $5k, go get a Tangent Theta and pick whatever $1,000 rifle you like. You can always upgrade a rifle, but you can't upgrade a scope.

Dave Tooley in eastern NC

These are the two gunsmiths I would/will use going forward.

For someone that is recoil sensitive, and hunts without ear pro I would really suggest a can.
Lol. I always hunt with ear protection but sometimes elk walk out and back in faster than I can put them in. Rather just not have to worry about it just in case. I'll check those two guys out. Appreciate the tip!

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of ways to go about this. I've used local small shops and "big name" smiths. I've had good results from both. If you're looking for someone in the SE, Altus Shooting is a "big name" in Florida and carries a large number of components. You might talk with the smith you choose first before you marry yourself to particular components. You will probably have a much shorter lead time if you look to get a barreled action or a pre-fit barrel to screw on yourself rather than go for a full build.

I've had great luck with my 8.4 twist 7mm proof barrel. If you're set on carbon wrapped, I'd say go with sendero or bull instead of sendero lite.

For me, I would look at the Manners LRH stock over the AG Composites adjustable. The LRH will be lighter, and IMO the LRH might be the best hunting stock (not chassis) currently on the market.

For a hunting rifle, I wouldn't go with the Diamond trigger - Primary or Special IMO.

Pick your poison in terms of actions.

Good idea to skip the brake. They are a poor choice for a lot of folks.

With the components you are looking to use, you're probably in the $3,500 - $4,000 range for the rifle build, and you're looking at a $1,000 optic? Given the make believe option, I would much rather go with a $4,000 optic on a $1,000 rifle than the reverse. If you're budget maxes out at $5k, go get a Tangent Theta and pick whatever $1,000 rifle you like. You can always upgrade a rifle, but you can't upgrade a scope.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check them out. Lead time isn't an issue for me. I've been researching for over a year anyway lol. Sounds like you don't like the carbon wrap? What do you prefer? What do you dislike about the sendero lite? Have you heard anything bad about AG? I loved the manners LRH on paper but I held one and it just did not feel good in my hands or on my cheek. Couldn't really tell you why. The AG came up a lot more naturally. You're right on the Special trigger; I will switch to that.

Is there really that big of a functional difference in the optics? After looking through Zeiss, Swarovski, Vortex, and Leupold, I couldn't tell the difference between a 1k scope and 4k scope?

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, that seems like not a great idea.
Lol, I always carry ear plugs in the field but sometimes the elk move faster than my hands to my ear plugs and I'd rather feel confident in shooting that 7x7 by without my ears rattling if he ever comes out.

When I contacted Wheeler he said he was swamped with benchrest builds and won't even accept hunting rifles at the time (roughly a year ago), may be different now.

Also not SE, but I will recommend Kampfeld Customs in Idaho every time. I shipped all my parts to him and it was easy as could be. Check out my review thread on a 280ai he built for me, and the responses in the post.

Yeah I know he was trying to get his backlog down some, but haven't spoken to him in a few months since I'm broke lol

SDHNTR

WKR
I like your build. My only suggestion would be to consider a different scope. You are spending the money on a premium custom rifle, find something more reliable. Especially is you plan to dial extensively.

as for a good rifle builder in the SE. GA Precision and McWhorter Custom Rifles are the gold standard. Can’t go wrong with either. Good luck!

Lots of good smiths out there. I dont think being local is that important but in FL I'd make sure to give joe walls a call at exodus rifles. He's a fan of 280ai as well so you got that going for ya.

Wapiti1

WKR
Not having a brake on it means not being able to spot your shots. Even with a lower recoiling setup, you'll lose your sight picture. This can be a problem with long shots.

As for gunsmith, I'd talk to Kelbly's.

Jeremy

eoperator

WKR
I have nearly the same as you are looking at, forget the adjustable get regular alpine stock for 50mm and smaller scopes. redhawk has defiance anti's in stock, bugholes has a few bartlein, brux and rock creek barrels in stock (forget the carbon fiber it's just for looks). Get your order in for stock soon to speed things up. Ask gunsmith for a timeline, I will not wait 18months on "smith" again.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Alamo Precision built my 280ai. Turn around was less than a month with supplying most of the parts myself. It’s a tack driver and built to similar specs as your plan.
Thanks for the lead. I'll give them a call!

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
It's not that I don't like carbon wrap; like I said, my 8.4 twist 7mm proof sendero barrel shoots tacks. My general thought is that CW barrels are best suited for long(ish) barrels that will use a suppressor. If you're buying a CW barrel simply because you like how it looks, then that could be reason enough. Typically people set arbitrary budgets, and you can save some money (and weight) going with a stainless barrel and put the money & weight towards other items. As far as contour is concerned, the full Sendero is something like two ounces heavier, which is worth it for the increased stiffness IMO.

If you've tried out the LRH and it doesn't fit you, then that's your answer. Stocks are important. The AG has a vertical grip and adjustable straight comb, which is good. The LRH is functionally very similar, just about 10oz lighter. I'd spend the time to figure out exactly how far you want the trigger in front of the grip to have a comfortable 90* trigger press, and have the stock inletted to fit your hand perfectly.

With optics, you get what you pay for. I've gone through the rifle scope rabbit hole and spent tens of thousands of dollars trying out various scopes. Better is better in terms of mechanics, optics, features, etc. Assuming that you are spending a lot of money on a rifle that you will shoot a ton, your primary points of interface will be the rifle stock and the optic. Don't cheap out on either.
Thanks for the addtl info! Yeah, great another rabbit hole to go down. I'm looking into the SS barrels and I see what you mean. Might go the Bartlein fluted sporter route but need to do more research on stiffness impact to accuracy on follow-up shots

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
I like your build. My only suggestion would be to consider a different scope. You are spending the money on a premium custom rifle, find something more reliable. Especially is you plan to dial extensively.

as for a good rifle builder in the SE. GA Precision and McWhorter Custom Rifles are the gold standard. Can’t go wrong with either. Good luck!
I'll definitely update the scope one day but that VX5 is what I have now and I couldn't tell the difference on a higher end optic. Thanks for the leads! I will give them a call!

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good smiths out there. I dont think being local is that important but in FL I'd make sure to give joe walls a call at exodus rifles. He's a fan of 280ai as well so you got that going for ya.
Thanks for the lead! I'll give him a call!