Custom Build Thoughts and Gunsmith Recommendations

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Not having a brake on it means not being able to spot your shots. Even with a lower recoiling setup, you'll lose your sight picture. This can be a problem with long shots.

As for gunsmith, I'd talk to Kelbly's.

Jeremy
Didn't think about sight picture impact at distance. That may be a consideration post-build. I'm pretty sure whatever barrel I get will already by drilled for one. Thanks for the recommendation. I will give him a call!

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
I have nearly the same as you are looking at, forget the adjustable get regular alpine stock for 50mm and smaller scopes. redhawk has defiance anti's in stock, bugholes has a few bartlein, brux and rock creek barrels in stock (forget the carbon fiber it's just for looks). Get your order in for stock soon to speed things up. Ask gunsmith for a timeline, I will not wait 18months on "smith" again.
I'm still trying to get my hands on an AG to test but given my experience so far a non-adjustable is not an option. I have a weird face shape lol. Hopefully a non-adjustable works though. Would love the weight savings. Yeah, I think I may go with a fluted bartlein after talking with everyone. Thanks for the input!

Bit of a side tangent here.. This thread prompted me to look at defiance Anti's in stock at places and they are always uncoated/untreated. If they would just nitride them all or at least the bolt i would have impulse purchased an in stock anti a long time ago. Having to coat or nitride treat the action/bolt is a hassle. Must be a hassle for them too and people keep buying bare actions so i guess it makes business sense.

Last edited:
Bit of a side tangent here.. This thread prompted me to look at defiance Anti's in stock at places and they are always uncoated in the white actions. If they would just nitride them all or at least the bolt i would have impulse purchased an in stock anti a long time ago. Having to coat or nitride treat the action/bolt is a hassle. Must be a hassle for them too and people keep buying white actions so i guess it makes business sense.

In the white?? The AnTi is a stainless action that doesn't really need to be coated. Not an AnTi but I run a Rebel action "in the white" and its just fine as is. Now if it was a CM action that would be different and yes would want to coat it with something.

In the white?? The AnTi is a stainless action that doesn't really need to be coated. Not an AnTi but I run a Rebel action "in the white" and its just fine as is. Now if it was a CM action that would be different and yes would want to coat it with something.
Edit: The bolt is CM and is described as "In the white" on Defiance's website. I edited my previous post to more accurately reflect this.

I'm sure it works fine but if there is an option (nitrided) that improves corrosion resistance, increases lubricity so the bolt runs smoother, and results in a finish that isn't bright stainless (on a hunting action), there is an obvious choice on which configuration is desirable.

Last edited:

Rcol317

FNG
Classified Approved
Two smiths I've been extremely please with is Danny Glover, @ Dans Custom Guns. He does a wonderful job and does what he says he'll do. Great guy. Another I'm extremely pleased with and have 4 rifles built by him is Jon Beanland @ Beanland Custom Rifles. Jon's a straight shooter and when you get your rifle back it will be a shooter. Danny's in NC and Jon's in OK but well worth shipping to them.

The main thing I've learned by bad experience is to discuss exactly what you'd like and allow your smith to give you advise. BE SURE TO CLARIFY HOW LONG YOU CAN EXPECT THE PROJECT TO TAKE. Waited 32 months one time, very frustrating.

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of great recommendations, I just had Dallas Lane with Lane Precision Rifles build me a 280ai. Great guy to deal with.

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
Two smiths I've been extremely please with is Danny Glover, @ Dans Custom Guns. He does a wonderful job and does what he says he'll do. Great guy. Another I'm extremely pleased with and have 4 rifles built by him is Jon Beanland @ Beanland Custom Rifles. Jon's a straight shooter and when you get your rifle back it will be a shooter. Danny's in NC and Jon's in OK but well worth shipping to them.

The main thing I've learned by bad experience is to discuss exactly what you'd like and allow your smith to give you advise. BE SURE TO CLARIFY HOW LONG YOU CAN EXPECT THE PROJECT TO TAKE. Waited 32 months one time, very frustrating.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll give them a call!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ouch! Sorry to hear yours wasn't a great expeirence. I'll steer clear.
Choose your gunsmith carefully. I would rely heavily on previous customer recommendations from rokslide!

wildcat33

WKR
Bit of a side tangent here.. This thread prompted me to look at defiance Anti's in stock at places and they are always uncoated/untreated. If they would just nitride them all or at least the bolt i would have impulse purchased an in stock anti a long time ago. Having to coat or nitride treat the action/bolt is a hassle. Must be a hassle for them too and people keep buying bare actions so i guess it makes business sense.

Apologies to OP for continue derail: but as of a few days ago Altus had nitrided short actions in stock.

Bart 2b barrels can be had on a regular basis in stock at bugholes. That's where I would go instead of carbon, for the reasons already stated. I'd love to try a bart featherweight contour, but looking at very long wait for that.

Big Ern

WKR
Gunsmiths:

jon Beanland
Chad at LRI

jon builds amazing rifles.

on your parts list: everything looks like good choices except the scope. You are going to have a hammer of a rifle and you are putting mediocre optics on it.
Put some quality glass on that rig ie SB, ZCO, NF (atacr series), TT, Kahles, Minox, etc.

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
As a custom and semi-custom builder, my advice would be to really ask your chosen smith hard questions about timelines if your hoping to be able to use the gun in 2022. There’s certain components that are just flat unavailable and the manufacturers won’t give us timelines, and even when they do, they’re usually delayed.

All it takes is one small delay from a manufacturer or distributor and it potentially sets your entire project back months.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Contact Jon Whidden at Whidden Gunworks. He is a very accomplished target shooter and builds his hunting rifles to the same level he builds his personal match rifles. I've never shot one of his rifles but have had my butt spanked by several shooters shooting his target builds. I was talking to him about building me a barreled action but found a steal on another gun. I would not hesitate to use him. As Procision Arms said, lead times will be long depending on what you want to use no matter who you talk to. Your build sounds great.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
years ago i had dana english build me a sporter hunter with top components.we are blessed with many top shelf gunsmiths and over 35 years i have used some of the very best.when robert gradous and alex wheeler recommend mr english,it would be wise to listen.