Custom Fillet Knife

treillw

WKR
Any recommendations for a custom fillet knife? Looking to get something nice that will hold an edge extremely well.

Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
Red rock tool out of SD. Steve makes without a doubt the best fillet Iv ever used. I have two. I’m not home now but will post pictures when I get home.

Hell of a guy as well.

He will build you any stiffness/length/handle/steel you want

Lawnboi

WKR

One from my phone, panfish knife made by red rock tool. S35VN

Fillet knives are originally what got me into custom knives and making things sharp. I got sick of sharpening rapala cheapo fillets.

Dexter Russell or Victoronix.

Custom knives are cool and all but when the industry standard is $20 (or less) I’ll stick with them.

Seamar.com is the best place to shop for anything marine related. They supply the Ak commercial fleet and have a huge selection and better prices.

Trial153

WKR
Call Gene Ingram and order a Kingfisher with a jigged G10 handle. Wait two years and enjoy it for life.

I would venture to say that there aren’t too many (if any), knife companies around that know more about making fillet knives than these guys. They are the best, bar none, IMO. Every year we go dip netting for sockeye salmon and our family is allowed 55 fish, per year, out of the Kenai River. That said, on many more than one occasion, I have filleted upwards of 55 sockeye salmon, one right after another, and have never once had to stop to re-sharpen my knife. That is no BS. I probably would’ve never paid $100 for a fillet knife, and if I hadn’t of gotten this knife for Christmas one year, I probably would’ve never known what I was missing, but I sure am glad I got that present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

I would venture to say that there aren’t too many (if any), knife companies around that know more about making fillet knives than these guys. They are the best, bar none, IMO. Every year we go dip netting for sockeye salmon and our family is allowed 55 fish, per year, out of the Kenai River. That said, on many more than one occasion, I have filleted upwards of 55 sockeye salmon, one right after another, and have never once had to stop to re-sharpen my knife. That is no BS. I probably would’ve never paid $100 for a fillet knife, and if I hadn’t of gotten this knife for Christmas one year, I probably would’ve never known what I was missing, but I sure am glad I got that present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the one you have is the 3DK Fisher? Looks nice and Not ridiculously priced. Thanks for the recommendation.

Wrench

WKR
I'd say whatever Henkel does with their knife is what I'd look for in a custom maker. I just cut an entire elk and NEVER touched the edge and it is still scary sharp. Plenty flexible and fantastic steel.

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm surprised Phil Wilson Seamount Knifeworks didn't come up already. Ingram as noted above also makes great blades.

Jeremy

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered (asked my wife for Christmas) for the Wusthof 7in fillet in their classic line. I've got their classic knife block and absolutely love it. I also ordered a 6 inch boning knife for my butcher kit. They aren't cheap but if they are anything like their other knifes the steel will be fantastic. I'll let you know once I get the set up.

ColeyG

WKR
Eagle River Knife Company (http://eagleriverknife.com/fillet.html ) makes some really beautiful fillet knives. They offer quite a few wood/color combos for their handles.

fillet.jpg

264win

WKR
Lots of great options already posted.
I would encourage everyone to take a look at these guys

I often visit the site just to drool..

ColeyG

WKR
Lots of great options already posted.
I would encourage everyone to take a look at these guys

I often visit the site just to drool..

Wow.

Capt. Max

FNG
forshner or victornox knifes are cost effective and hold an edge extremely well. I have filleted too many fish to count and I still have some of the first knives I purchased. Also if they break they are easy to find and replace as you will be familiar with the flex of the blade for the same model. My friends at Buttwhackers in Homer, AK use them pretty much exclusively.