Custom Fillet Knife

JohnIrish

FNG
Its not custom... but I REALLY like North Arm Knives ... they make a 6 in and a 9 in fillet knife in S35VN steel... It holds an edge a long time and easy to sharpen. I like the shape as well with the right amount of flex for me. They are a Canadian company so if you are in the US you may benefit from the exchange rate.

Jacack

WKR
Wish I knew who made this one, a buddy that is a captain was given two in different sizes. They are awesome. I am a full time captain and go through alot of knives and they are the best I have used, scary sharp and hold a edge for ever.
Maybe someone on here knows , they only have that little skull emblem. Love to find out who made them

I have spent some money on fillet knifes but the best one and doesn't break the bank is the bubba blade hands down

Wish I knew who made this one, a buddy that is a captain was given two in different sizes. They are awesome. I am a full time captain and go through alot of knives and they are the best I have used, scary sharp and hold a edge for ever.
Maybe someone on here knows , they only have that little skull emblem. Love to find out who made them
View attachment 133078
Looks like one of Daniel Fairly blades maybe?

squirrel

WKR
I get all of mine off the bottom of the lake, i slum it with the like of Buck and oneida stuff with some rapalas thrown in. I need to start diving where you high rollers fish, some of those are some SWEET knives!

Bump.. just curious out of the knives mentioned. Is there a lot of difference between Victorinox and dexter russel?
preference…

Dexter makes some longer knives that cut like a victorinox (long and soft) but Dexter standard knives are stiffer with better ergonomics.

when I was a kid I cut fish for a job until I was old enough to work on the boats.... probably average 3-600 rockfish and lingcod per day all summer long, myself and everyone else who did it, and still does it, including the even higher volume filleters in the fish plants use Dexter. I have a couple Victorinox knives, I like them for halibut, but besides that, I much prefer Dexter, they just offer better control, and feel better in hand.

I still cut several hundred fish per year between salmon, steelhead, and a pile of ocean fish, and I have and have tried lots of knives... the only one I like as much (better now that I don't cut as many fish) is a Frosts 7" standard fillet knives, they are like a broke in Dexter, and it takes a lot of sharpening to break in a Dexter to where they are perfect. they are a little stiff when new, but the frosts are perfect right out of the gate.

for a nice custom that is eye pleasing and holds a crazy good edge is Dalstrong Shogun series. my wife bought me one, and it's the best steel I have dealt with on a knife. it's my go to game processing knife. I am just too familiar cutting fish with Dexter (and Frosts) to change, but if I wasn't so comfortable with a particular knife, the Dalstrong is far superior, it's a Damascus super steel. I liked it so much I got their paring knife, and that's going to take the place of my benchmade altitude in the woods.... seems like it holds an edge better, and is easier to keep sharp. perfect knife steel.

my go to for cutting fish will always be 7" and 8" Dexters and 7" frosts, but they have gotten tough to find... Dexters aren't