Custom Rifle build, with help

khmplus

FNG
Hello, I’m new to the custom rifle arena, and I would like to run a scenario past you to see if it isn’t completely crazy. I am a woodworker and recently built a router duplicator that can be used to duplicate gun stocks. I have also accumulated many high grade walnut stock blanks through harvesting a few large black walnut trees over the years. I would like to purchase rifle components through a custom builder such as Alamo Precision and have them assemble the barrel and action to ensure proper head space, etc. The builder would then send the assembled action and barrel to me along with a trigger and bottom metal, etc, and then I would fabricate the stock, do the bedding and finish assembly. I would be hoping for an accurate yet beautiful 6.5 PRC out of this labor of love. What pitfalls and critical steps do you see in this process? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Great Idea, the only pitfall is your ability to create a a quality stock. I'm certainly not a wood worker so I can't help you there but it would be a great project. I say go for it!

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Could be really cool. Just a few ideas:
1. Maybe consider a custom action like Defiance, Big Horn, Impact and then you can simply install a prefit barrel with guaranteed headspace.
2. Wood stocks are cool as long as you are ok with a bit more weight. A wood stock (as you know) will always be somewhat susceptible to moisture, so make sure you have a finish to keep the wood protected.

OP
khmplus

khmplus

FNG
1. Maybe consider a custom action like Defiance, Big Horn, Impact and then you can simply install a prefit barrel with guaranteed headspace.
2. Wood stocks are cool as long as you are ok with a bit more weight. A wood stock (as you know) will always be somewhat susceptible to moisture, so make sure you have a finish to keep the wood protected.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve read good things about defiance actions. How about barrels? Proof Research seems to come up as one of the good ones, any others to recommend? I could go the route of complete assembly by myself, but had it in my mind that mating a barrel to an action was best left to an expert. I’m no stranger to micrometers and know when .0001 can be important, so I could do some research. I’m much more familiar with wood and how it can shrink and grow and move and how to dry, finish, and protect it. I carved the eagle in my profile pic, for example, as a first project for my duplicator. If I went full custom myself, I’d wager that the friendly folks on here could give me some guidance on the critical aspects of the metal parts. One question that comes to mind is bluing or similar process. Is that something that the action/barrel makers do, a third party? Thanks

Powell

Lil-Rokslider
Go through any reputable builder and have them do all the metal work for whatever you want. Either you purchase all the components and send them in or buy what they recommend and sell. If you are wanting to duplicate a stock you are going to need a stock to copy. Do you know what stock design you want to build? I would drill it for pillars at a minimum and look into cross bolts.

OP
khmplus

khmplus

FNG
Go through any reputable builder and have them do all the metal work for whatever you want. Either you purchase all the components and send them in or buy what they recommend and sell. If you are wanting to duplicate a stock you are going to need a stock to copy. Do you know what stock design you want to build? I would drill it for pillars at a minimum and look into cross bolts.
Once I know the action and barrel combination, I’ll probably search for a basic manufactured stock using that action and similar barrel to copy so I’ll get the inletting correct. I’ll make a copy out of inexpensive hardwood, customize the shape a little to make it unique, then use it for the final stock. I’ll go for a classic look overall. The pillars serve to enlarge the surface area of contact between wood and action screws to improve strength, is that correct? Does an action like the defiance tenacity have two locations for screws, plus a recoil lug?

bradb

WKR
Go for it!
Depends a lot on the finished look you want on the metal. If blued, cromoly action and barrel, bottom metal ect.
Shape of stock and type of build may dictate how heavy barrel you want. Bartlien would be one of my first choices, but several great choices.
I did this one from a very rough blank. I had someone else checker itCopy_of_blood_free_1_133035389753103.JPG

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice! I’ve read good things about defiance actions. How about barrels? Proof Research seems to come up as one of the good ones, any others to recommend? I could go the route of complete assembly by myself, but had it in my mind that mating a barrel to an action was best left to an expert. I’m no stranger to micrometers and know when .0001 can be important, so I could do some research. I’m much more familiar with wood and how it can shrink and grow and move and how to dry, finish, and protect it. I carved the eagle in my profile pic, for example, as a first project for my duplicator. If I went full custom myself, I’d wager that the friendly folks on here could give me some guidance on the critical aspects of the metal parts. One question that comes to mind is bluing or similar process. Is that something that the action/barrel makers do, a third party? Thanks
Proof makes excellent barrels; they are especially known for their carbon fiber wrapped barrels, but there are many others: Kreiger, Brux, Benchmark, Bartlein, McGowan etc. You will want pillars and glass bedding for the stock.

If you are going to assemble yourself you will also need an action wrench, barrel vise, and go and no-go gauges. Some actions/barrels offer cerakote finishing as an option while others don't. What kind of finish do you want? What cartridge are you thinking?

TX_Diver

WKR
What part of Wisconsin are you in? I have an extra Tikka stock if you are nearby and want to borrow it to test the concept out with some cheaper wood first.

Powell

Lil-Rokslider
If your set on a Defiance action, that fits a Rem700 foot print. The biggest variable is going to be the ejection port length. If you are looking to build a 6.5 PRC it will fit in a Short Action. However you could build on a Long action to seat the bullet out long. If you don’t reload and are just diving into this rabbit hole go Short action. Then you have to decide what bottom metal you want. Do you want detachable magazines or a standard BDL?
The pillars are going to keep your action and bottom metal clamped together and all evenly and securely supported. The cross bolts keep the wood from expanding outward. I’m not a wood stock guy but, there are guys that are very well versed in them. You might reach out LRI out of SD. I remember seeing a McMillan A5-A they did in wood for a SniperHide Cup winners prize rifle. He may give you some insite. Joel Russo I believe is another.

OP
khmplus

khmplus

FNG
Go for it!
Depends a lot on the finished look you want on the metal. If blued, cromoly action and barrel, bottom metal ect.
Shape of stock and type of build may dictate how heavy barrel you want. Bartlien would be one of my first choices, but several great choices.
I did this one from a very rough blank. I had someone else checker itView attachment 369138
Beautiful gun, and buck! 😃

OP
khmplus

khmplus

FNG
If your set on a Defiance action, that fits a Rem700 foot print. The biggest variable is going to be the ejection port length. If you are looking to build a 6.5 PRC it will fit in a Short Action. However you could build on a Long action to seat the bullet out long. If you don’t reload and are just diving into this rabbit hole go Short action. Then you have to decide what bottom metal you want. Do you want detachable magazines or a standard BDL?
The pillars are going to keep your action and bottom metal clamped together and all evenly and securely supported. The cross bolts keep the wood from expanding outward. I’m not a wood stock guy but, there are guys that are very well versed in them. You might reach out LRI out of SD. I remember seeing a McMillan A5-A they did in wood for a SniperHide Cup winners prize rifle. He may give you some insite. Joel Russo I believe is another.
Lots of good advice, I’m learning a lot, thanks!

OP
khmplus

khmplus

FNG
What part of Wisconsin are you in? I have an extra Tikka stock if you are nearby and want to borrow it to test the concept out with some cheaper wood first.
Manitowoc here. Thanks for the offer, I have a ways to go before I start working on the stock I think, at a minimum, my head has to stop spinning first, lol.