Custom Rifle Build

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking to do a somewhat economical custom rifle build in 7mm-08. I want it to come out to about 6lbs give or take. The main purpose of going the custom route would be for a faster twist barrel (1:8 or 8.5) and longer magazine for longer bullets. Any thoughts or suggestions for a gunsmith? I've always just bought stock guns so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

B23

WKR
Over the years I've had builds done by no less than six different gunsmiths from all across the US. All of them built me great shooting rifles but since finding a smith that is local to me, Defensive Edge Rifles and Kampfeld Custom, I MUCH prefer to use a smith I can easily drive to, talk to them face to face and drop my stuff off and pick it back up when it's done. If you can find a good quality smith that comes with an excellent reputation and is somewhat local to you, even if they're a couple hours away, I would highly recommend it.

I don't know where you are in relation to PacNor barrels but I believe they do complete builds and I've never heard anything but good things about their barrels as well as the builds they've done.

Also, and take this for what it's worth, you mentioned this being an economical build and that's well and good but be careful not to micro manage or nickel dime every little thing. Gunsmiths can sometimes be a quirky bunch and nothing pisses them off faster than a client the nickel dimes every single cost.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Over the years I've had builds done by no less than six different gunsmiths from all across the US. All of them built me great shooting rifles but since finding a smith that is local to me, Defensive Edge Rifles and Kampfeld Custom, I MUCH prefer to use a smith I can easily drive to, talk to them face to face and drop my stuff off and pick it back up when it's done. If you can find a good quality smith that comes with an excellent reputation and is somewhat local to you, even if they're a couple hours away, I would highly recommend it.

I don't know where you are in relation to PacNor barrels but I believe they do complete builds and I've never heard anything but good things about their barrels as well as the builds they've done.

Also, and take this for what it's worth, you mentioned this being an economical build and that's well and good but be careful not to micro manage or nickel dime every little thing. Gunsmiths can sometimes be a quirky bunch and nothing pisses them off faster than a client the nickel dimes every single cost.
Good point on using a local smith. I suppose I just need to find one.

I'm a huge fan of the 7MM-08 and almost always have a couple + in the safe, just in case:) The last two I had built and are my favorite builds I've owned and also the most accurate where built by Shaen Rifles. I think Shaen posts here as Shooter71.

Shaen is super easy to work with and has been fantastic on his built times - always on time and as requested which is great. He also seems to do some kind of voodoo magic with his 7MM-08 builds, both mine are crazy accurate even with factory ammo.

Now to get to 6 lbs finished weight will be a little tough if you also want to be economical - not sure those go together ;)

On both mine Shaen was able to get them both down to 5 lbs 15.5 ozs so 6 lbs is doable but you need to get the lightest weight stock you can find and then either go with a super slim contour barrel or a CF wrapped barrel which can get you there. And maybe go with Defiance AnTi action - I went with a Rebel. But you can do it and have a heck of a rifle to hunt mostly anything you will draw tags for.

Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Customs is another one that is awesome like B23 posted. I have one of Karls rifles and its also a shooter. Karl is just over in Idaho and Shaen is down in California so easy to ship to either one.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'm a huge fan of the 7MM-08 and almost always have a couple + in the safe, just in case:) The last two I had built and are my favorite builds I've owned and also the most accurate where built by Shaen Rifles. I think Shaen posts here as Shooter71.

Shaen is super easy to work with and has been fantastic on his built times - always on time and as requested which is great. He also seems to do some kind of voodoo magic with his 7MM-08 builds, both mine are crazy accurate even with factory ammo.

Now to get to 6 lbs finished weight will be a little tough if you also want to be economical - not sure those go together ;)

On both mine Shaen was able to get them both down to 5 lbs 15.5 ozs so 6 lbs is doable but you need to get the lightest weight stock you can find and then either go with a super slim contour barrel or a CF wrapped barrel which can get you there. And maybe go with Defiance AnTi action - I went with a Rebel. But you can do it and have a heck of a rifle to hunt mostly anything you will draw tags for.

Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Customs is another one that is awesome like B23 posted. I have one of Karls rifles and its also a shooter. Karl is just over in Idaho and Shaen is down in California so easy to ship to either one.

Got it. Where is Shaen located? I see you are from Oregon. So am I. . Eugene/Springfield area.

Got it. Where is Shaen located? I see you are from Oregon. So am I. . Eugene/Springfield area.
Shaen is in Southern CA towards Nevada I think - I'm in the Oregon City area. Based on your post you can build your rifle if you pick the right parts, just need to get the right components and a good smith and your golden ;)

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you very much for the kind words OregonMuley, your two 7-08’s were the Perfect blueprint. I need to duplicate one for myself. I’m in the Eastern Sierra, would hate to be associated with Socal.... 😆

If $ is not a limiting factor. You can go all out with a number of different companies, ultra light, load development, etc. I got a rifle in late-Nov. 4lbs 12oz. 6.5CM, 18in barrel, defiance anti, 12oz OTB suppressor with an NX8. The gun itself is about as light as you can get, they’re designing it as their “sheep gun”. I wanted the suppressor and Nightforce (worth the weight). It is absolutely awesome.

If $ IS a limiting factor. An option for a great build is to buy a Tika T3, re-barrel with a light carbon wrap and you’re done. Did this with my wife’s Sako 300WM. Re-barreled with a 22in light carbon wrap, cut the stock off an inch to fit her better, slapped an NX8 on it… Looks like a 243, hits like a 300. It’s not “ultra light”, but it’s light.

Carbon or stainless.. this makes a difference.. barrel length? Also makes a difference on finish weight

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
If $ IS a limiting factor. An option for a great build is to buy a Tika T3, re-barrel with a light carbon wrap and you’re done. Did this with my wife’s Sako 300WM. Re-barreled with a 22in light carbon wrap, cut the stock off an inch to fit her better, slapped an NX8 on it… Looks like a 243, hits like a 300. It’s not “ultra light”, but it’s light.
This is a good idea. Might accomplish what I want for a 7mm-08.