Custom Rifle FNG

Sjacskson

FNG
Thinking about diving down the rabbit hole of a custom rifle build. Here are the components I’m thinking of using:

Action: Gunwerks SS GLR action

Stock: Proof Lightweight Mountain Hunter

Barrel: Proof CF prefit 300prc 24” 1:9
(Here’s where I’m running into confusion. How do I know the prefit proof barrel and gunwerks action are compatible?) Do I have to buy the barrel specifically for the Gunwerks or is it comparable to other action manufacturers for install purposes.

Bottom Metal: Gunwerks

Trigger: Triggertech Diamond

I’m new to this and never put together my own rifles other than small ar components. Just trust myself more than someone else putting together my rifles. Want them to be as accurate as possible and don’t want anyone to blame but myself when they are not. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Antares

WKR
Pre-fits are brand specific and I don't see Gunwerks on the list of Proof pre-fits. I'm guessing you'll need to buy a blank and have if fitted by a gunsmith.

As a side note, I just noticed they have CZ 457 pre-fits...thanks, you just cost me some money.

gbflyer

WKR
Look into a Bighorn Origin. Upgraded Savage that fits in a Remington inlet and uses Remington triggers. I believe the specs are consistent enough on them to get a shouldered pre-fit. Good value, little under $900 for the action.

Correct, when you see the "pre-fit" its a barrel chambered to fit that specific action. You will also want to make sure that action will fit the Proof stock, which by the way are next to impossible to find right now. I have 2 of them and they are really nice but like pretty much everything else gun related good luck finding one.

Also, on the bottom metal make sure thats fits the inlet on the Proof, they are designed to fit a Hawkins BDL style bottom metal, not sure what the Gunwerks looks like??

That’s a pretty good list of parts! Like others have stated you would need to buy a proof barrel blank and have a gunsmith thread/chamber it and headspace it on your action.
Any good gunsmith should be able to fit the Gunwerks action and bottom metal into the proof stock also.

OP
Sjacskson

Sjacskson

FNG
I appreciate the response guys. The big horn looks pretty slick, so does the lone peak stuff.

Do you guys have any secondary recommendations for stocks since the proof stuff is so hard to find?

I appreciate the response guys. The big horn looks pretty slick, so does the lone peak stuff.

Do you guys have any secondary recommendations for stocks since the proof stuff is so hard to find?
If you can wait it worth it for the Proof - they are really nice IMHO. But other options would be McMillan or Manners but both have long wait times unless you luck into one posted for sale. AG Composites is another that might be had quicker?? But it will be tough to find one as lightweight as the Proof.