Custom rifle or Ridgeline with stock upgrade

So I've been toying with the idea of building and put together a list of things I would want in the rifle. Those would be:

- Chambered for 300 wsm
- Under 8 lbs scoped
- Adjustable mag scope that's at least 4x on the low end and 14x on the high end
- Vertical grip with some palm swell
- High comb or adjustable (boney face and don't want to add aftermarket stuff that gets in the way of bolt removal)
- Carbon barrel
- Hella-accurate would like to hunt with it out to 600 but also plink steel at 1000

So I started putting together a component list and came up with something I think would be the perfect build for me.

- Mack brothers evo titanium action, $1250, 20.5 oz
- Mesa precision Remington altitude stock, $650, 25 oz
- Carbon 6 featherweight 24" barrel with muzzle brake, $885, 45 oz
- Trigger tech special rem 700 trigger, $190, 2.5 oz
- M5 dbm bottom metal, $160, 4 oz
- Scope rings, $100, 4 oz
- SWFA SS 3-15x42 scope, $700, 24 oz

Total cost before gunsmith: $3935
Total weight: 7 lb 13 oz

That price gave me some sticker shock so I got to thinking if there was a way to hit all my wants with a semi custom. I think I could accomplish this by getting a CA Ridgeline and swapping out the stock with the mesa altitude. I think I could be all in that setup with scope at just under $3k. Maybe as low as $2700.

What do my fellow Roksliders think? Thoughts on the build? Anything you'd change? Other ways to hit all my wants? Would you do the full custom or semi custom?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
So I just went through this same conundrum. I ended up ordering parts. I was basically looking for the same criteria as you except I wanted a 7mm-08ai because my go to rifle is a .300 win mag. I didn’t go with a fancy action. I had a .308 Rem 700 SA in the safe that wasn’t being used because it weighs 14 pounds.

My parts list was:
1.Rem 700 SA that the gunsmith will true up.
2.Timney trigger
3. 24” .284 8 twist Sendero light proof barrel
4. Mesa precision altitude stock
BDL bottom metal (I know the m5 is the cool thing right now but BDL saves weight and doesn’t snag on the brush)
5. Talley Lightweight rings
6. Zeiss conquest V4 4-16x44 t30 reticle

Should have a rifle that comes in under 8lbs ready to go and will handle shots on coues deer out to 600 yards just fine.

Total price (because I already had the action on hand) after gunsmith should be right around $3400. It’s a bit more than a CA with an upgraded stock but I’m getting exactly what I want. And if I was gonna be spending $2500-$2700 already what’s another $600 to get what I want and not settle. But that’s just me.

SDHNTR

WKR
Buy this, or have them build one like it.

So I've been toying with the idea of building and put together a list of things I would want in the rifle. Those would be:

- Chambered for 300 wsm
- Under 8 lbs scoped
- Adjustable mag scope that's at least 4x on the low end and 14x on the high end
- Vertical grip with some palm swell
- High comb or adjustable (boney face and don't want to add aftermarket stuff that gets in the way of bolt removal)
- Carbon barrel
- Hella-accurate would like to hunt with it out to 600 but also plink steel at 1000

So I started putting together a component list and came up with something I think would be the perfect build for me.

- Mack brothers evo titanium action, $1250, 20.5 oz
- Mesa precision Remington altitude stock, $650, 25 oz
- Carbon 6 featherweight 24" barrel with muzzle brake, $885, 45 oz
- Trigger tech special rem 700 trigger, $190, 2.5 oz
- M5 dbm bottom metal, $160, 4 oz
- Scope rings, $100, 4 oz
- SWFA SS 3-15x42 scope, $700, 24 oz

Total cost before gunsmith: $3935
Total weight: 7 lb 13 oz

That price gave me some sticker shock so I got to thinking if there was a way to hit all my wants with a semi custom. I think I could accomplish this by getting a CA Ridgeline and swapping out the stock with the mesa altitude. I think I could be all in that setup with scope at just under $3k. Maybe as low as $2700.

What do my fellow Roksliders think? Thoughts on the build? Anything you'd change? Other ways to hit all my wants? Would you do the full custom or semi custom?

I think your 300 wsm build idea is fantastic but I'd suggest a few changes, and steer you away from the CA Ridgeline you'll be much happier building it right.
Also I'd get a 9 twist barrel thats custom throated for 215 bergers, that'll give you the option to shoot a good variety of LR bullets

1. I'd get an XM length defiance anTi action, SS is much better than ti and weighs the same as the evo.

2. I know CF is all the rage but after owning one I'd strongly suggest saving your money and getting a fluted SS barrel.
I recently got a fluted 24" #5 rock creek barrel chambered in 30 Nosler, it weighs 3lbs and is thick enough for 5/8×24 threads for my suppressor.
If you're not using a suppressor then a #3 or #4 contour will work perfectly and be about as light as CF even without fluting

3. Definitely go BDL bottom metal for a lightweight hunting rifle.
The mag is freaking heavy and you'll be adding approx 4-6 oz in addition to the bottom metal

deadwolf

WKR
Having owned a CA Ridgeline in 300wsm I can tell you I wouldn’t own another one. I’m not trying to bash CA, but the saami spec wsm chamber is a hinderance in my opinion because you can’t load long. Anything over a 168 is stuffed so far down in the case that it’s taking up valuable powder space. Look at a box of factory 180 and above. That being said, I don’t think this is a problem unique to CA, but it’s a saami spec 300 wsm problem. I would only build a wsm or saum on a medium action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
If building just about any WSM and your plan is to use a Rem 700 short action and you want to squeeze everything out of it you can with Kevin Wyatt's short action mid length kit it will allow you to run a SA Rem 700 at an OAL of 3.235. I'm not saying it's necessarily the most cost effect but it is an option if you want to use the SA Rem 700 you already have. I know someone that did this to one of their Remy 700's and he said it feeds and functions with the short fat WSM case very well.

OP
ShortMountain91
Good call guys on the bottom metal. I think I will make that change to bdl. On the CF barrel, I've had pencil barrels that shot great and ones that didn't. In my mind the CF adds a better chance to get a consistent shooter and get that quicker cool down which is the reason for selecting it. I could shave some weight with a #3 fluted but the build is light enough for my liking with the CF

B23

WKR
CF barrels offer a certain "cool" factor and are lighter when compared to a all steel barrel of equal diameter but other than aesthetics I'm not sure they offer a whole lot.

I have a few CF barrels but it's only because I like how a larger contour barrel looks with a can screwed on it. With regard to pure shooting performance and ability, I think all steel barrels are a better choice.

I think your 300 wsm build idea is fantastic but I'd suggest a few changes, and steer you away from the CA Ridgeline you'll be much happier building it right.
Also I'd get a 9 twist barrel thats custom throated for 215 bergers, that'll give you the option to shoot a good variety of LR bullets

1. I'd get an XM length defiance anTi action, SS is much better than ti and weighs the same as the evo.

2. I know CF is all the rage but after owning one I'd strongly suggest saving your money and getting a fluted SS barrel.
I recently got a fluted 24" #5 rock creek barrel chambered in 30 Nosler, it weighs 3lbs and is thick enough for 5/8×24 threads for my suppressor.
If you're not using a suppressor then a #3 or #4 contour will work perfectly and be about as light as CF even without fluting

The mag is freaking heavy and you'll be adding approx 4-6 oz in addition to the bottom metal

I agree with all of the above. I'd prefer to have premium steel blank and an Anti over an evo ti and carbon, even if they were the same price.

I got a krieger blank delivered this week with a custom spec'd sporter contour that gets thicker at the muzzle for 5/8x24 threads. It's replacing a carbon barrel that has never shot particularly well but it is a little heavier. I would have spec'd it a little lighter but a couple ounces wasn't worth a much longer wait. This option is cheaper and my gut says the odds of it shooting tight are better than with a carbon barrel.

Lawnboi

WKR
Elaborate. What did you switch to? Did you prefer the CA stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It just ends up a lot of money for a pretty crude action imo.

I used the stock for a 3006 build though, that’s at LRI right now.

When I had the Mesa I put it in a manners eh1 with a bdl mini chassis. The bottom metal was functional but required a lot of screw trimming and didn’t look quite right, but was completely serviceable.

If I was forced to buy another, I’d replace the stock immediately again. Was not a big fan of the factory sporter or sporter style stocks in general.

I agree with all of the above. I'd prefer to have premium steel blank and an Anti over an evo ti and carbon, even if they were the same price.

I got a krieger blank delivered this week with a custom spec'd sporter contour that gets thicker at the muzzle for 5/8x24 threads. It's replacing a carbon barrel that has never shot particularly well but it is a little heavier. I would have spec'd it a little lighter but a couple ounces wasn't worth a much longer wait. This option is cheaper and my gut says the odds of it shooting tight are better than with a carbon barrel.
Good choice I've never owned a Krieger but guys I've shot with swear they're the best.
From here on out I'll only be shooting Bartlein, Krieger, or Rock Creek barrels.
I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for, and CF wrapping has zero benefits aside from esthetics.

If you end up wanting to get that barrel a bit lighter Kampfeld Customs does an incredible spiral fluting job for a reasonable price

Good choice I've never owned a Krieger but guys I've shot with swear they're the best.
From here on out I'll only be shooting Bartlein, Krieger, or Rock Creek barrels.
I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for, and CF wrapping has zero benefits aside from esthetics.

If you end up wanting to get that barrel a bit lighter Kampfeld Customs does an incredible spiral fluting job for a reasonable price

I’m leery of aggressive fluting. Had a 6.5 saum bartlein that kampfeld spiral fluted and beanland chambered that I wasn’t happy with and 2x seekins havaks that didn’t shoot well either. Beanland and Travis @ TS have both told me they aren’t a fan of aggressive fluting (especially on sporter contours).

B23

WKR
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but some of the deep fluting barrels I've seen kinda made them look odd to my eyes. For me, it just wouldn't be worth the risk of effing up the shooting characteristics of the barrel and how much weight can it possibly save anyway, maybe a few more ounces over standard fluting? The risk doesn't seem like it would be worth the reward.

Metzger

FNG
a 3B contour weighs 3lbs 7oz finished at 24" threaded 5/8x24 in 300wm. I HAD two Christensons...

SDHNTR

WKR

I agree with just about everything I see printed here. Especially the XM defiance anti part. Build that on a 22” or 24” (I like 22”)#4 contour steel barrel that’s fluted, or a #3 Bartlein. I see this carbon fiber barrel fad going the way of the buggy whip within five years. Potentially the same with titanium actions. Give me a tried and true, centuries proven steel all day long.

OP
ShortMountain91
Defiance action is another part I looked heavily at. Think it would be a great choice also. If I did it I'd definitely go with the xm length even though I currently shoot 180s for hunting in my wsm. The 215s could be a fun long range load and nice to not be limited.

As far as caron barrel goes, I could care less on looks. Carbon looks cool, fluted steel looks cool. It's a wash in my mind. Why I picked it is just because it seems you'd be getting a stiffer (less whip) barrel over a smaller dia steel. Probably negligible and the care taken when manufacturing and rifling the barrel is way more important but it makes sense to me that a larger diameter barrel would be an advantage. Plus the cooling advantage. In all honesty though I bet I could get a fluted #3 and be completely happy.