Custom rifles and rifle weight.

I've been a little worried about this. I'm putting together a Tikka with a McMillan Game Hunter EDGE fill stock and a 20" Proof CF barrel. The stock is pretty long (14.5"). I'm hoping the balance will be ok. A little concerned it'll be muzzle heavy with my GEMTECH Tracker on it...what do you think?
Well I do believe a carbon barrel saves weight and improves the balance.
You've done your best to mitigate the suppressor weight, so it just is what it is at that point.

Lawnboi

WKR
I've been a little worried about this. I'm putting together a Tikka with a McMillan Game Hunter EDGE fill stock and a 20" Proof CF barrel. The stock is pretty long (14.5"). I'm hoping the balance will be ok. A little concerned it'll be muzzle heavy with my GEMTECH Tracker on it...what do you think?
99C2A258-A3A8-4EF7-B0C8-7C7D0067A145.jpeg
Here’s a game warden, edge fill, a 20” carbon fiber barrel, and a gemtech tracker. It balances nicely, not too muzzle heavy at all, and that’s with a 20oz scope, it will be getting a 30oz scope as soon as I can.

wyosam

WKR
592e9633bf7e5288be72c664021b25cd.jpg

8#5oz. I guess that doesn’t count the bipod, but it lives in my pocket, not on the rifle. Tikka, 22” Carbon six feather weight, Mesa Altitude, SWFA 3-15. Brake is just for load development, so it will lose ~4 oz in the mountains. At first I was a little disappointed with total weight, but after shooting it without the brake, I don’t know that I would want it much lighter. It handles and shoots great. So much so that it is getting a sister in 6.5-284, though that one is getting a 24” tube. I do have a model 7 in 7-08ai that will finish around 7#, maybe a touch less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I built a 300 prc on a 28" proof with a mesa precision crux titanium action and a mesa precision carbon altitude stock. But, I added an 5.5-22 nightforce and an atlas bipod as well as a Hawkins dbm. It turned out 12 pounds loaded with extra rounds. I also used to drag a surgeon action with a m24 contour 26" barrel with an AIAX chassis up the mountain. It weighed 22 loaded with a can. It sucked up and down the mountain. But shot well. However, I feel more comfortable with my lighter weight prc. Its a hammer to 1400 yards. Nothing wrong with heavy if you can handle it. I just don't want to anymore.

Dean253

FNG
I built one this year, Impact Action, Bartlein Carbon Barrel in 6.5 RSAUM with ACE Muzzle Brake, Manners EH1 stock with Hawkins hunter bottom metal, Hawkins Rings & Tangent Theta 5-25 scope. I shot this at the Nightforce ELR match a few weeks ago & it weight 12.4 pounds with the Harris 6-9" bipod attached.

You really don't need a CF barrel for a lightweight build that balances well..
My 30 Nos with a 24" fluted #5 weighs 11 lbs with a 9" suppressor, and Harris 9-13"bipod.
The weights below are with a 5 port brake (which has been replaced with a suppressor and will never ever be used again)

20210328_175944.jpg20210419_065852.jpg
20210521_090132.jpg

CCooper

WKR
I have personally found I like to be sub-10LB with a 26" (+brake) barreled magnum . That is fully loaded with ammo and a heavy NXS. Could definitely save some weight on optic selection but I refuse to sacrifice reliability on a LR rig. Rifles are personal, kind of like boots. I too prefer the balance of a carbon barrel and have found the sweet spot on weight that I can live to carry day in- day out and maintain some weight for a stable platform. I will also add I have short arms (27" DL) and find a 24" carbon barrel swings and points a little better for me than a 26" if taking off-hand shots. Again, it is all personal to user, and I think everyone has to figure out what fits them best by trial and error- I learn something I like/ dis-like with every new rifle platform I put together.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
There are many important factors to take into consideration when determining the desired weight of a rifle. First and foremost is what's the rifles intended purpose. Second is the rifle should be balanced when complete. Trying to quickly shoulder an unbalanced rifle can lead to missed opportunities. I'm a firm believer that the weight of a rifle should be relative to the caliber. This is my Borden Timberline 300 WM that weighs 9lbs scoped and loaded. It has a 24" Hart #3 stainless fluted barrel, McMillan A3 Sporter Edge stock, TriggerTech trigger topped with Seekins rings and Zeiss V6 3-18X50 scope. I could have saved some ounces by switching to bases rather than a rail and to a lighter scope but didn't want to sacrifice ounces for reliability.IMAG4664.jpg

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
A custom rifle is an investment and is something that you will have get great enjoyment out of for years to come. If you are going to build one, make sure you build what you want based on your hunting style. Don't worry about saving ounces here or there and using components that you have to talk yourself into. Build what feels good and what you will enjoy. If that rifle isn't working for you... sell it and buy what you WANT.
I prefer a 2b contour 26" barrel, a mcmillan game hunter on the latest one, then topped a Huskemaw scope. Balanced and shoots great. I cut some weight with the barrel contour and the scope. I could have gone a little lighter here or there but is that pound that I saved worth it when it comes time to make the shot?