Custom rifles and rifle weight.

How many of you are using custom rifles for your long range hunting? And are you concerned about rifle weight? I am currently thinking of having a rifle that doesnt shoot well and putting a new barrel on it. If I put another barrel on it should I spend the money and go light weight with a carbon barrel and stock? I will also upsize from 6.5cm to a 6.5-284

Carbon barrel doesn’t = light weight, just lighter than steel of the same diameter. The only real benefit of carbon is you can get a larger diameter muzzle for muzzle threads than a similar weighted steel barrel unless the steel barrel has a bunch of material removed with flutes.

Lighter the rifle, the harder it is to shoot well. So if the focus is long range, light weight is counter productive.

I’d figure out what you want your end weight to be based upon the compromises between ease of carry and ease of shooting and pick your components from that.

Last edited:

WKR
I just did a 6.5-284 on a Benchmark barrel. The top stainless barrel makers are all around $350. I figure I can shoot out 2 stainless barrels for the price of 1 carbon. I went with a #2 contour and it is very accurate with the only bullets I have tried in it, 140 vld, 147 eld, and 156 eol.

Whisky

WKR
I've only built two customs, and currently building a third. What I learned from the first two is they always end up heavier than you think, especially when you get them "hunt ready" with any optics/ammo/bipod/can/brake/sling/cheek pad/etc. For this reason I selected all lightweight components for the 300 PRC build. Hopefully this will allow me some flexibility in selecting an optic, and better balance if/when I run a can.... TBD how it turns out.

Regarding a different stock, for me the biggest reason to add that would be ergonomics. Reducing weight is just a bonus. However, sometimes it can add weight.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
What action are you thinking about converting if you’re stuck with a 2.8 inch load length the 6.5x284 is it much better than hot rodding your Creedmoor if you can go 3 inch then definitely go 6.5x284

OP
JustGot1Thumb
What action are you thinking about converting if you’re stuck with a 2.8 inch load length the 6.5x284 is it much better than hot rodding your Creedmoor if you can go 3 inch then definitely go 6.5x284
I have a Tika T3X it has a medium action. The gun smith told me its the biggest round I can do without buying a new receiver or bolt.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
You should be good to go then I think you will definitely be happy with what you can get out of the 6.5x284

I have a Tika T3X it has a medium action. The gun smith told me its the biggest round I can do without buying a new receiver or bolt.
Technically you could do 6.5 weatherby RPM or a 30/06 based case like 280AI which are bigger than the 284 case but do start running into COAL concerns with a tikka long action mag.

OP
JustGot1Thumb
Does your factory barrel not shoot? Iv now been around 3 tikkas in 6.5cm and they all were hammers
No it does not. My wife bought it for me as a gift right before hinting season about 3 years ago. When I broke the barrel in then sighted it in i would get 1.5'' groups. I was kinda irritated with it and threw it in the safe and forgot about the problems. Well I pulled it out this year and put it on paper I quickly remembered how bad it shot.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Just out of curiosity, what ammo have you shot in your 6.5? My experience has been like that of @Lawnboi. My brother, two friends, and I have Tikkas in 6.5 and they all shoot the 143 gr Precision Hunter load into less than an inch. My hand loads with 139 gr Scenars do much better. Mine did not shoot the Barnes factory 127 gr as well as the Hornady rounds.

Antares

WKR
My Tikka 6.5CM shoots the factory 140 ELDM load very well (with factory barrel). No real reason to replace barrels or hand load with accuracy like this. Although you may want to for other reasons.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2020-07-01 06:47:37.989156.jpeg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2020-07-01 06:47:37.989156.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 65
Nobody is immune to making a barrel that doesn’t shoot. I have four Tikkas and they all stack dots but there are tales of Tikka barrels that won’t. They’re out there. A Tikka is your best chance in a factory rifle, but it’s still a chance.

As far as customs and weight go, I built one on a Bighorn SR3, Proof 280 AI, and Alterra stock. With Hawkins rings it was 7 lbs 15 oz. Add a scope, ammo, suppressor, and I’m well over 10 lbs.

Lawnboi

WKR
Nobody is immune to making a barrel that doesn’t shoot. I have four Tikkas and they all stack dots but there are tales of Tikka barrels that won’t. They’re out there. A Tikka is your best chance in a factory rifle, but it’s still a chance.

As far as customs and weight go, I built one on a Bighorn SR3, Proof 280 AI, and Alterra stock. With Hawkins rings it was 7 lbs 15 oz. Add a scope, ammo, suppressor, and I’m well over 10 lbs.
I agree, that said there’s a lot I personally do before I decide that it’s a bad barrel.

No it does not. My wife bought it for me as a gift right before hinting season about 3 years ago. When I broke the barrel in then sighted it in i would get 1.5'' groups. I was kinda irritated with it and threw it in the safe and forgot about the problems. Well I pulled it out this year and put it on paper I quickly remembered how bad it shot.
Before you give up on that tikka barrel I'd upgrade the stock to something like a Mesa Altitude and get it bedded properly.
And don't use the junk rings
If you determine that it'll shoot you can have the chamber reamed out to 6.5x284

OP
JustGot1Thumb
Just out of curiosity, what ammo have you shot in your 6.5? My experience has been like that of @Lawnboi. My brother, two friends, and I have Tikkas in 6.5 and they all shoot the 143 gr Precision Hunter load into less than an inch. My hand loads with 139 gr Scenars do much better. Mine did not shoot the Barnes factory 127 gr as well as the Hornady rounds.
Ive tried multiple kinds of bullets and no god grouping.

Check out Oregon Mountain Rifle Company. They have CF prefit tikka barrels, and are an AG stock dealer. I recently customized a tikka with OMR, and I am really happy with it.
Like others said, the CF barrel being lighter is only sort of true. It is lighter than a steel barrel that would achieve the same stiffness. But, replacing your factory barrel with a CF barrel will, most likely, add weight.

My customized tikka 7mm Rem Mag is 7pounds 8oz, bare rifle. I could have been around 7 with a lighter barrel contour, but am happy with the accuracy and my ability to shoot the rifle vs a lighter weight gun.

Check out Oregon Mountain Rifle Company. They have CF prefit tikka barrels, and are an AG stock dealer. I recently customized a tikka with OMR, and I am really happy with it.
Like others said, the CF barrel being lighter is only sort of true. It is lighter than a steel barrel that would achieve the same stiffness. But, replacing your factory barrel with a CF barrel will, most likely, add weight.

My customized tikka 7mm Rem Mag is 7pounds 8oz, bare rifle. I could have been around 7 with a lighter barrel contour, but am happy with the accuracy and my ability to shoot the rifle vs a lighter weight
Don't use OMR!
Mine shot like crap and they wouldn't make it right.
My smith said it was one of the worst barrels he's seen

Antares

WKR
The balance of a carbon barreled rifle should not be overlooked.

I've been a little worried about this. I'm putting together a Tikka with a McMillan Game Hunter EDGE fill stock and a 20" Proof CF barrel. The stock is pretty long (14.5"). I'm hoping the balance will be ok. A little concerned it'll be muzzle heavy with my GEMTECH Tracker on it...what do you think?