Custom Rile build

Doddse1

FNG
Hey everyone,

I have spent a lot of time reading through a lot of forums. I have decided to build (in my opinion) a great all around mountain rifle. I wanted to start with the caliber first. I am really having a hard time deciding on a caliber. I will be shooting suppressed with this gun all the time. I have the Banish 30 in jail waiting to get here. So because of this, I am thinking a 300WSM. My issue is i want to keep my barrel at no more than 22" , because this will always have the suppressor on it as well. This rifle will be my Elk/ Alaska moose gun. If anyone can share any data on a short barrel 300wsm that would be appreciated. I am not married to the caliber. I wanted a short action magnum caliber but as of now I do not have the space, for reloading, otherwise id build a 7SAUM.

I used to be extremely comfortable out to long range. 800m or more depending on my firearm. But with my move and current guns I own, I am not there anymore. With that said, I don't like saying things like "I want a gun I can shoot to 1000 yards and kill anything I want, without any practice or work on fundamentals" because that is unrealistic. I have been to several long range courses, to include army sniper school, and know that my fundamentals need to be squared away first. I want this gun to be my go to gun for ranges exceeding 400 yards if needed. (given my skill level and comfort with the shot)

I'm not trying to stir the pot on a debate over calibers, more so seeing what guys on here have built for me to reference. Or if anyone has any advice on a bolt gun build of their own with a short barrel for large north American game, it would be much appreciated. Right now my proposed build for my gun would be:

Caliber: 300wsm (not decided but leaning towards)
Manners LRH stock
Mac Bros Stainless EVO SA with Magnum bot face
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42
Not sure about rings yet
Proof 20-22' CF barrel with 5/24 thread
Trigger Tech Special trigger
Banish 30 Suppressor

I understand some will say build a 6.5 PRC. But I was looking more towards a 30 cal or 7mm. I am trying to keep this build in a SA. Its my personal preference but understand a LA there are many more options. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Again

-Elliott

I like your plan alot, I have a Banish 30 that I've been running on a 16" 6.5 saum.
I like it so much that I recently put an 18" barrel on my other Tikka action.
I handload so I necked a 300 wsm down to 7mm and blew the shoulder out to 45 degrees, I'm getting 2800 with 195's.

Since you don't handload I think the 300 wsm with Hornady 200 eldx ammo will be your ticket. It's advertised at 2830 with a 24" barrel so you'll be around 2700 with a 20" tube.
Running the numbers at 2500' that'll get you to 800 yards with the minimum velocity for reliable expansion of 1800 fps.

I wouldn't go over 20" with a suppressor in any situation.
If you're open to build options consider getting a tikka and putting a prefit on.
I've built way too many customs and keep circling back to the tikka action for short mag builds. They're just about the perfect platform for a long range hunting build in my opinion.

Also I personally would go with a ss barrel over carbon fiber, you wont save any weight at 20".
I had mine done with a tikka factory contour flared up to .730 for 5/8×24 threads and it weighs 2lbs at 18"

Here's a few pics of my setup with the Banish in its 9" configuration
20220217_154009.jpg20220104_152744.jpg

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
I like your plan alot, I have a Banish 30 that I've been running on a 16" 6.5 saum.
I like it so much that I recently put an 18" barrel on my other Tikka action.
I handload so I necked a 300 wsm down to 7mm and blew the shoulder out to 45 degrees, I'm getting 2800 with 195's.

Since you don't handload I think the 300 wsm with Hornady 200 eldx ammo will be your ticket. It's advertised at 2830 with a 24" barrel so you'll be around 2700 with a 20" tube.
Running the numbers at 2500' that'll get you to 800 yards with the minimum velocity for reliable expansion of 1800 fps.

I wouldn't go over 20" with a suppressor in any situation.
If you're open to build options consider getting a tikka and putting a prefit on.
I've built way too many customs and keep circling back to the tikka action for short mag builds. They're just about the perfect platform for a long range hunting build in my opinion.

Also I personally would go with a ss barrel over carbon fiber, you wont save any weight at 20".
I had mine done with a tikka factory contour flared up to .730 for 5/8×24 threads and it weighs 2lbs at 18"

Here's a few pics of my setup with the Banish in its 9" configuration
View attachment 382678View attachment 382679
Thank you for your reply Brother! So the plot kinda thickens on my side, I actually currently own a tikka t3x superlite 300wm, but Its 8.2 lbs scoped and I absolutely hate the stock. I have considered getting a pre fit for it, and I have no issues getting a SS fluted barrel. I just figured with the money I would spend on a stock and new barrel, I may as well go full custom. I know that all tikka Actions are the same size, just wondering If i got a pre fit with the Banish, and a new stock maybe that would be worth it.

I am curious your thoughts. From what little I have read, getting a 300wm down to a 20" barrel is not really the best plan. But I haven't dove deep into it because I didn't want to stick with that caliber for this build.

Thank you for your reply Brother! So the plot kinda thickens on my side, I actually currently own a tikka t3x superlite 300wm, but Its 8.2 lbs scoped and I absolutely hate the stock. I have considered getting a pre fit for it, and I have no issues getting a SS fluted barrel. I just figured with the money I would spend on a stock and new barrel, I may as well go full custom. I know that all tikka Actions are the same size, just wondering If i got a pre fit with the Banish, and a new stock maybe that would be worth it.

I am curious your thoughts. From what little I have read, getting a 300wm down to a 20" barrel is not really the best plan. But I haven't dove deep into it because I didn't want to stick with that caliber for this build.
Man don't let me steer you away from a full custom build if that's what you want but here's my take.

The Tikka actions are the only factory offering I know of that are precise enough to accept prefit barrels.
Even some custom actions don't have the tight tolerances of tikkas.
You can buy a $10 trigger spring that'll get the weight down to 1.5 lbs, put a mountain tactical wsm mag in for like $50 and you could load the longest 30 cal bullets to magazine length in a 300 wsm.
You can also get a super light titanium bolt handle from mtn gear that'll shave an oz off, just for fun..

I had McGowen barrel make my latest prefit and I'm getting sub .5 moa with minimal load development.
If you really want CF proof also makes tikka prefits.
I don't think its really worth fluting a 20" barrel, even a #4 should be pretty light in that length.

There's no doubt that wsms are at home in short barrels given the shorter powder colum and overall length.
I don't have any experience with a 300 wm but I see no reason why it wouldn't still be faster than a wsm at 20"

I don't know how light you're wanting to go, but MPI in Vancouver WA makes an awesome ultralight stock.
The tanish one in the photo is an MPI and weighs 18 oz bedded.
Im having another MPI made to replace the factory stock on the other Tikka, it'll be more of a vertical grip raised comb style but is supposed to finish around 20 oz.
It should to be finished this month, we'll see..

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Man don't let me steer you away from a full custom build if that's what you want but here's my take.

The Tikka actions are the only factory offering I know of that are precise enough to accept prefit barrels.
Even some custom actions don't have the tight tolerances of tikkas.
You can buy a $10 trigger spring that'll get the weight down to 1.5 lbs, put a mountain tactical wsm mag in for like $50 and you could load the longest 30 cal bullets to magazine length in a 300 wsm.
You can also get a super light titanium bolt handle from mtn gear that'll shave an oz off, just for fun..

I had McGowen barrel make my latest prefit and I'm getting sub .5 moa with minimal load development.
If you really want CF proof also makes tikka prefits.
I don't think its really worth fluting a 20" barrel, even a #4 should be pretty light in that length.

There's no doubt that wsms are at home in short barrels given the shorter powder colum and overall length.
I don't have any experience with a 300 wm but I see no reason why it wouldn't still be faster than a wsm at 20"

I don't know how light you're wanting to go, but MPI in Vancouver WA makes an awesome ultralight stock.
The tanish one in the photo is an MPI and weighs 18 oz bedded.
Im having another MPI made to replace the factory stock on the other Tikka, it'll be more of a vertical grip raised comb style but is supposed to finish around 20 oz.
It should to be finished this month, we'll see..
I have honestly been back and forth for probably 6-8 months on what to do with this tikka. Which is why I started this thread. If I went a semi custom route, I would want it to be below 10lb.s. I'm not chasing ultralight, because to me, shootablility is more important that being 8lbs scoped and the recoil being difficult to deal with. This is the issue I'm dealing with now. I can't shoot this thing reliably and consistently. I am so used to vertical grip from work that I would go the Manners stock probably. I would like the stock to be around 28-34 ounces or so.

With a pre-fit barrel all i would have to do is just have it chambered as a 300wsm and throw it on my LA and it should be good right? since its a LA and has a magnum bolt face? I haven't explored any of these options so I am not opposed to building the Tikka. But my bottom line is that I would rather spend money on Glass and Tags/hunts then a super expensive custom build and hunt once a year haha. If I do go the Tikka route, I will keep this thread updated and probably make a video with the complete build and data that is going with it.

sub .5 moa would be the goal for sure.

I’m in a similar situation as you and I’m currently putting together a Tikka 300 wsm build.
20” carbon six barrel
Mesa Altitude stock
Banish 30 suppressor.
And either Trijicon Tenmile 3-18, or Night Force NXS 2.5-10x42.

If the weights of everything come in close to what they’re advertised it should be around 8.5-9lbs scoped

I have honestly been back and forth for probably 6-8 months on what to do with this tikka. Which is why I started this thread. If I went a semi custom route, I would want it to be below 10lb.s. I'm not chasing ultralight, because to me, shootablility is more important that being 8lbs scoped and the recoil being difficult to deal with. This is the issue I'm dealing with now. I can't shoot this thing reliably and consistently. I am so used to vertical grip from work that I would go the Manners stock probably. I would like the stock to be around 28-34 ounces or so.

With a pre-fit barrel all i would have to do is just have it chambered as a 300wsm and throw it on my LA and it should be good right? since its a LA and has a magnum bolt face? I haven't explored any of these options so I am not opposed to building the Tikka. But my bottom line is that I would rather spend money on Glass and Tags/hunts then a super expensive custom build and hunt once a year haha. If I do go the Tikka route, I will keep this thread updated and probably make a video with the complete build and data that is going with it.

sub .5 moa would be the goal for sure.
Yep you'd just get an action wrench and barrel vice and spin it on, or depending on where you get your prefit you can usually mail them your action and they'll do it.
You won't have to do anything else except get a mountain tactical mag for the fatter wsm rounds.
Also pick up a steel or titanium recoil lug to replace the aluminum junk.

If you're interested in investing in the tools I could give you some recommendations.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
I’m in a similar situation as you and I’m currently putting together a Tikka 300 wsm build.
20” carbon six barrel
Mesa Altitude stock
Banish 30 suppressor.
And either Trijicon Tenmile 3-18, or Night Force NXS 2.5-10x42.

If the weights of everything come in close to what they’re advertised it should be around 8.5-9lbs scoped
What was the wait time on the barrel and are you running an arca rail adapter or bipod with the Mesa stock? Id love to see the finished product when you've completed it.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Yep you'd just get an action wrench and barrel vice and spin it on, or depending on where you get your prefit you can usually mail them your action and they'll do it.
You won't have to do anything else except get a mountain tactical mag for the fatter wsm rounds.
Also pick up a steel or titanium recoil lug to replace the aluminum junk.

If you're interested in investing in the tools I could give you some recommendations.
I feel like buying Barrel Vice and action wrench may cost more than sending it to whoever I choose to get the barrel from. But I have also never really looked into getting the parts. But getting an action wrench and vice would be really nice for future builds......so yes, What would you recommend haha.

What was the wait time on the barrel and are you running an arca rail adapter or bipod with the Mesa stock? Id love to see the finished product when you've completed it.
I haven’t actually gotten it yet. Ordered it 1/7. I want to say I was quoted like 8-10 weeks but I can’t remember. No arca rail. I’ll just throw a bipod on it when I’m on a hunt that needs one. It’ll be a couple months before it’s done but I’ll try to remember to update here. I’ll for sure put it in the Semi Custom Tikka thread tho

I feel like buying Barrel Vice and action wrench may cost more than sending it to whoever I choose to get the barrel from. But I have also never really looked into getting the parts. But getting an action wrench and vice would be really nice for future builds......so yes, What would you recommend haha.
Yeah it'll cost more so you'll have to decide if it's an investment you want to make.

This action wrench used with a torque wrench
https://patriotvalleyarms.com/tikka-t3-
wrench/

This is the best vice I've used, I went with a Remington magnum contour bushing (#6)
Quick tip, sprinkle rosin in a piece of thick paper and wrap it around the barrel where the bushing makes contact in the vice.
That'll give a good non slip grip and protect the finish
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ories/barrel-vises/barrel-vise-prod41623.aspx

Sprunk

FNG
This is the 7mm you were talking about? Who made your prefit? I'd like to do a factory contour .308 flared up to 5/8x24 at around 19-20"

TAGGED...I am doing a similar build as 762 Gunner. Have a T3x 300WM at my disposal. McGowen quoted me a 12-week wait time last week for a custom contour barrel. I too would like to do a 20" 300WSM and run a Silencerco Omega 36M. Have a bunch of Mountain Tactical goodies, a Hells Canyon WSM mag, Bushnell LRHS and Hawkins Rings ready to rock. Selling off a few items to facilitate this build ;)

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Yeah it'll cost more so you'll have to decide if it's an investment you want to make.

This action wrench used with a torque wrench
https://patriotvalleyarms.com/tikka-t3-
wrench/

This is the best vice I've used, I went with a Remington magnum contour bushing (#6)
Quick tip, sprinkle rosin in a piece of thick paper and wrap it around the barrel where the bushing makes contact in the vice.
That'll give a good non slip grip and protect the finish
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ories/barrel-vises/barrel-vise-prod41623.aspx
Thanks for the gear recommendations! Have you ever considered the SwitchLug from WTO? I know its a lot different but it seems like another option as well.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
from what i read on here and other forums the 300wsm is a great round for shorter barrels if you're looking for a 30 cal solution with a SA.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Another vote for building on the Tikka. If I were in your shoes I would have a prefit chambered in 300wsm and throated for heavy Bergers, and chat with @Unknown Munitions about building a load for it and just buy ammo until you can reload (if you plan to). Then you can buy cheapo silver box Win ammo to practice with and work on fundamentals, and have a bomb proof setup for when you head out after critters.

Customized Tikka in a Mesa, 24" fluted Bartlein #3, weighs sub 9lbs (not precise weight, but consistent on a bathroom scale) scoped w/ no bipod. Shoots lights out, initial load development 4 shot group. Will refine if needed once the barrel speeds up.
20211018_073009.jpg20211016_172326.jpg

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Another vote for building on the Tikka. If I were in your shoes I would have a prefit chambered in 300wsm and throated for heavy Bergers, and chat with @Unknown Munitions about building a load for it and just buy ammo until you can reload (if you plan to). Then you can buy cheapo silver box Win ammo to practice with and work on fundamentals, and have a bomb proof setup for when you head out after critters.

Customized Tikka in a Mesa, 24" fluted Bartlein #3, weighs sub 9lbs (not precise weight, but consistent on a bathroom scale) scoped w/ no bipod. Shoots lights out, initial load development 4 shot group. Will refine if needed once the barrel speeds up.
View attachment 383762View attachment 383761
Dude thats the set up! This is the exact type of stuff I was looking for. I'm leaning more towards the AG composite stock depending on lead time. But I was planning on getting a load developed with @Unknown Munitions once I have the pieces in hand. Why did you go with the Mesa instead of any of the others?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Why did you go with the Mesa instead of any of the others?
AG actually makes the blanks for Mesa, but I went with them because it was the lightest option in that profile at that general price point and they had the shortest lead time. This was my first custom so I'm no stock expert, but I do have to compliment Mesa because when my stock showed up to the smith it had the wrong barrel inletting and they had a new corrected one in hand in less than 2 weeks. I liked the feel so I talked to sales and they gave me a decent discount on another one for another build.

I'm heading down the whisper tube trail soon as well so all my barrels will be getting replaced with shorty's also.