Custom Rile build

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
AG actually makes the blanks for Mesa, but I went with them because it was the lightest option in that profile at that general price point and they had the shortest lead time. This was my first custom so I'm no stock expert, but I do have to compliment Mesa because when my stock showed up to the smith it had the wrong barrel inletting and they had a new corrected one in hand in less than 2 weeks. I liked the feel so I talked to sales and they gave me a decent discount on another one for another build.

I'm heading down the whisper tube trail soon as well so all my barrels will be getting replaced with shorty's also.
looking forward to seeing how the shorty works for you. Ill make some calls this weeks to stock companies and see what the lead times are generally. I've heard manners can be like 6-9 months and im trying to have this done by october deer season and ready to go

My 2 kids, wife and I all hunt. Elk and mule deer are our primary species, with goat, antelope, bear, etc. as tags/opportunity present themselves. You’re wanting to hear options, here are my thoughts…

My first build 4yrs ago was a “light” 300WM. Lone Pk Arms action, 24.5in Proof Scendero, HS Precision metal/mag, NXS 5.5x22x56. Shooting Berger 215s.

Next, I had my wife’s Sako 85 300WM rebarreled with a 22in Proof Scendero Light. NX8 2.5x20. Shooting Berger 215s. I would say “lighter”.

This fall, went “ultra light”. 6.5CM in a 4lb 12oz rifle. Defiance AnTi, Hawkins metal/mag, 18in carbon wrap. Added an Idaho Suppressor Co OTB suppressor and an NX8 2.5x20. Someone could argue an ounce or 2, or talk titanium action, but the rifle is just about as light as you can get. I added the suppressor and NF because I wanted them. If ultra light was the ultimate goal, obviously the suppressor and scope selection could change.

My next project will be to basically blend my first and last builds… An 18-20in 300WM set up like the 6.5 above. Goal is a short, ultra light, suppressed 300WM shooting 215s.

Last, 762Gunnar builds some awesome shit and I’d consider and evaluate his feedback and compare it to what you want in a rifle. I will.

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
My 2 kids, wife and I all hunt. Elk and mule deer are our primary species, with goat, antelope, bear, etc. as tags/opportunity present themselves. You’re wanting to hear options, here are my thoughts…

My first build 4yrs ago was a “light” 300WM. Lone Pk Arms action, 24.5in Proof Scendero, HS Precision metal/mag, NXS 5.5x22x56. Shooting Berger 215s.

Next, I had my wife’s Sako 85 300WM rebarreled with a 22in Proof Scendero Light. NX8 2.5x20. Shooting Berger 215s. I would say “lighter”.

This fall, went “ultra light”. 6.5CM in a 4lb 12oz rifle. Defiance AnTi, Hawkins metal/mag, 18in carbon wrap. Added an Idaho Suppressor Co OTB suppressor and an NX8 2.5x20. Someone could argue an ounce or 2, or talk titanium action, but the rifle is just about as light as you can get. I added the suppressor and NF because I wanted them. If ultra light was the ultimate goal, obviously the suppressor and scope selection could change.

My next project will be to basically blend my first and last builds… An 18-20in 300WM set up like the 6.5 above. Goal is a short, ultra light, suppressed 300WM shooting 215s.

Last, 762Gunnar builds some awesome shit and I’d consider and evaluate his feedback and compare it to what you want in a rifle. I will.
What velocities are you getting with the 215 out of the 22"? What powder?

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
300 wsm- great short action round, brass is hard to find.
Manners stock-all good, personal preference on weight/looks
Action- I prefer bighorn but defiance or impact are excellent.
Proof CF barrel-running a few now, shoot very good
Trigger-trigger tech or timney
Rings- I run a spuhr one peice mount. Talley, seekins, hawkins, mpa, nf all make great mounts.
Scope- I own and run leupold mark 5, vortex gen 2 razor, nf atacr. All great scopes. Vortex super heavy, nf lighter, leupold is the lightest. Currently running a mark 5 on my main hunting rifle.

2.5-10 seems like the wrong scope for a flat shooting 300 wsm cartridge. I would reccomend a higher powered scope.

KHNC

WKR
I like the 300WSM. I have a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic with Omega 30 Suppressor. Barrel is a bit long though. 24" if im not mistaken. Its very lightweight for what it is. IF you could get it with a 20-22" CF barrel, it would be the bomb as is. The carbon classic is not easy to find but you can get the CF barrel from CA and build from there. XLR magnesium chassis would be bad ass for it.

JjamesIII

WKR
Hey everyone,

I have spent a lot of time reading through a lot of forums. I have decided to build (in my opinion) a great all around mountain rifle. I wanted to start with the caliber first. I am really having a hard time deciding on a caliber. I will be shooting suppressed with this gun all the time. I have the Banish 30 in jail waiting to get here. So because of this, I am thinking a 300WSM. My issue is i want to keep my barrel at no more than 22" , because this will always have the suppressor on it as well. This rifle will be my Elk/ Alaska moose gun. If anyone can share any data on a short barrel 300wsm that would be appreciated. I am not married to the caliber. I wanted a short action magnum caliber but as of now I do not have the space, for reloading, otherwise id build a 7SAUM.

I used to be extremely comfortable out to long range. 800m or more depending on my firearm. But with my move and current guns I own, I am not there anymore. With that said, I don't like saying things like "I want a gun I can shoot to 1000 yards and kill anything I want, without any practice or work on fundamentals" because that is unrealistic. I have been to several long range courses, to include army sniper school, and know that my fundamentals need to be squared away first. I want this gun to be my go to gun for ranges exceeding 400 yards if needed. (given my skill level and comfort with the shot)

I'm not trying to stir the pot on a debate over calibers, more so seeing what guys on here have built for me to reference. Or if anyone has any advice on a bolt gun build of their own with a short barrel for large north American game, it would be much appreciated. Right now my proposed build for my gun would be:

Caliber: 300wsm (not decided but leaning towards)
Manners LRH stock
Mac Bros Stainless EVO SA with Magnum bot face
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42
Not sure about rings yet
Proof 20-22' CF barrel with 5/24 thread
Trigger Tech Special trigger
Banish 30 Suppressor

I understand some will say build a 6.5 PRC. But I was looking more towards a 30 cal or 7mm. I am trying to keep this build in a SA. Its my personal preference but understand a LA there are many more options. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Again

-Elliott
I’ve had excellent experiences with both trigger tech as well as proof research barrels. I also went with 300 wsm for my big game mountain rig with a barrel in 24”, if I remember correctly. I builtoff of a rem 700 stainless action. It shoots well. About as much recoil as I’d want to shoot for extended range sessions.

gabenzeke

WKR
I like your plan alot, I have a Banish 30 that I've been running on a 16" 6.5 saum.
I like it so much that I recently put an 18" barrel on my other Tikka action.
I handload so I necked a 300 wsm down to 7mm and blew the shoulder out to 45 degrees, I'm getting 2800 with 195's.

Since you don't handload I think the 300 wsm with Hornady 200 eldx ammo will be your ticket. It's advertised at 2830 with a 24" barrel so you'll be around 2700 with a 20" tube.
Running the numbers at 2500' that'll get you to 800 yards with the minimum velocity for reliable expansion of 1800 fps.

I wouldn't go over 20" with a suppressor in any situation.
If you're open to build options consider getting a tikka and putting a prefit on.
I've built way too many customs and keep circling back to the tikka action for short mag builds. They're just about the perfect platform for a long range hunting build in my opinion.

Also I personally would go with a ss barrel over carbon fiber, you wont save any weight at 20".
I had mine done with a tikka factory contour flared up to .730 for 5/8×24 threads and it weighs 2lbs at 18"

Here's a few pics of my setup with the Banish in its 9" configuration
View attachment 382678View attachment 382679
You're getting 2800 with 195s and an 18 inch barrel????? Holy cow, tell me more about this cartridge. I want one! Did you just order custom dies, full length size and go? How do you determine powder charge?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You're getting 2800 with 195s and an 18 inch barrel????? Holy cow, tell me more about this cartridge. I want one! Did you just order custom dies, full length size and go? How do you determine powder charge?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Yeah I think my chrono was off a little, I've since validated my drops and I'm in the 2725 range with N570, RL26 is 2700.
Still pretty dang good from an 18" barrel though, if I can get some 180s I'd really like to see what they can do.
I had Manson design the reamer, its called the 7-300 LRI.
Hornady made me custom dies.
If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll get you the details.
I could probably rent you the reamer if you like