Custom rod builders

Not sure if this is posted in the right forum but here we go.
I'm looking for a custom rod builder that will build to spec including the color. Ive found plenty of the usual suspects but they don't offer custom colors on the rod. Nothing fancy or outlandish. 7'-8' medium heavy, fast action spinning rod for saltwater. 15-40 lb max,Fuji guides and seat, custom color is mandatory.. what do y'all think?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have to contact them and ask. I know they do custom colored rod seats and custom paint on the rod. Not sure if they will paint the whole rod or just up from the handle as that's all I've seen.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Chris Adams will custom build whatever you want and does excellent work.

adamsflyco.com

Build it yourself. I’ve built many fly rods and I’ll tell you that it’s not that hard. Buy a good blank, all your components and thread, and do it. I’m sure there are a ton of YouTube videos out there that will walk you through it. You’ll end up with a custom rod that’s exactly like you want, at a fraction of the cost of the same thing in a store bought, and you’ll also have the satisfaction of building it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
I just sent them a request, thank you very much for the link.
You'll have to contact them and ask. I know they do custom colored rod seats and custom paint on the rod. Not sure if they will paint the whole rod or just up from the handle as that's all I've seen.

OP
D
Man, I really don't want to go down that rabbit hole and I most definitely don't need another hobby. I just want someone to make a custom rod for a gift to my wife. Thank you for the suggestion though.
Build it yourself. I’ve built many fly rods and I’ll tell you that it’s not that hard. Buy a good blank, all your components and thread, and do it. I’m sure there are a ton of YouTube videos out there that will walk you through it. You’ll end up with a custom rod that’s exactly like you want, at a fraction of the cost of the same thing in a store bought, and you’ll also have the satisfaction of building it yourself.

Wapiti1

WKR
I have assembled (I would not call it building) a bunch of rods, from fly rods to heavy deep sea trolling. If you chose to assemble your own, it would take you a good have dozen rods before you could do a decent job. In short, I do not recommend it. Find someone that will give you what you want.

Jbehredt

WKR
The painted rods I’ve handled were slugs. What I did for my wife was a natural colored blank and some wrap colors that she loved. Just a thought....
e34de8db33218c6a12b040ccfb2a3b09.jpg

motts

Lil-Rokslider
Rodgeeks is the only one I'm aware of that can get you a custom painted blank. Any respectable rod builder should be able to take care of the rest. It's a fun hobby, but, as mentioned, it takes a couple of rods to find your technique, which ay or may not be worthwhile for you.

S.Clancy

WKR

This. The rods I've built have outlasted my factory rods. It takes a couple days but it's worth it.

I don't fish, but my Captain has had several custom rods built by Sarge Custom Rods in Texas. He swears by them, and they are perfectly balanced. When I asked him the name, he said "I fished all my life, and I have never had rods like that before". sargecustoms.com

Check him out of Facebook Sarge Custom Rods

Last edited: