Custom saddles

A number of years ago a friend of mine gave me $1000 for some work I did for him. I decided a fitting use for that was a custom saddle. This one was made for packing with lots of extra rings, holes in the cantle and wear spots armored with braided rawhide.

I requested 4 extra long saddle strings on either just like my old Portland saddle that was made in the 1920s. I tend to tie things on with those like sleeping bags.

The part that surprised me was that it was produced with tapaderos. Initially I wasn't impressed and planned to take them off. I even dubbed them pixie boots. I felt that way until some really cold weather and I discovered how much warmer my feet were.

Since I ride cross country through the dense deadfall, I discovered how much safer they were as they deflected the shypokes that tended to be guided through the stirrups into my horse's belly. Made for a few exciting events.

So the question is am I the only rider with tapaderos or do the rest of you use them?

It’s all about choice, bunch of the “buckaroo” guys use them. Bunch of guys that i work with have them to. I don’t really like them, they don’t fit my cowboy style of riding haha but I’m considering a pair for winter time, and considering putting them on my side string saddles so people can’t slide their foot to far into the stirrup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
I have multiple pairs of rawhide taps for cowboying in the brush or winter use. In the winter you can stuff the taps with saddle fleece for insulation. Most of the year I'll run bells or oxbows depending on horse and what I'm doing and put the taps away.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Chase0109

FNG
I’ll chime in as the greenhorn on this thread. I only have two horses, and been riding since 2019. Since I live in North Central Texas I don’t get them into the mountains except once or twice a year on hunting trips. I prefer to ride with my regular bell stirrups. But when I do take my horses into the mountains hunting I always switch out to a pair of taps. Nothing fancy, just a pair from outfitters supply. I do it for no other reason other than safety concerns.

I have enough on my mind and I’m constantly watching the changing trail/conditions. I’ve never had a close call yet. But from reading all the stories from experience guys like yourselves the last thing I want is to get myself in a bad situation and get hung up in a stirrup. They don’t affect my riding much and it’s a simple swap out for the safety aspect they give me.

Chase

rayporter

WKR
one saddle has taps and one does not. they definitely help in cold weather.
leggings or half chaps also help a bunch in cold weather.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I have taps as well. In the summer when just riding I don't have them on, but come fall they go back on as I run hounds and am off trail more than on. I like them for the warmth, keeping my feet dry in rain and sometimes at water crossings, and protection from the brush and sticks getting stuck through a stirrup.