Custom Scope Turrets and Elevation

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I have three Leupold CDS scopes that I plan to mount up in the next week. The three rifles will primarily be for western hunts at elevations of 5500-8500, but I live in the east(elevation 475 ft above sea level). I deer hunt here as well, but most shots are within 300 yards. I'm torn on what elevation to use for my custom Turrets. Do I average the two extreme elevations from east/west or average the low-high ends of the western elevations? I know the dials would come into play much more on the western hunts but I also want to be able to efficiently practice here in the east. What are your thoughts?

archp625

WKR
I wouldnt get the custom dial if it were me. If you change ammo or reload differently everything will be off. My advice would be to shoot in your home state. Get an app like Shooter and enter all your conditions and ammo conditions. Then go out and shoot to confirm. Adjust your app.

Then when you go on your hunts run the numbers and make a card and slap on the side of your gun or scope.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I have the CDS on my Leupold and for me it was free which is probably the same reason you are considering it. I hunt all over but had my turret made for my home state where I hunt the most. Under 500 yards it was really close between my 700 elevation and 10,000 elevation. I was just looking to put it in the boiler room on game at that distance and not competing or anything.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
If you're coming from back east and you don't regularly shoot at ranges that require dialing turrets, I would recommend limiting your shots to within your rifle / ammo combo point blank range. If you're shooting past that, I recommend just dialing the normal turrets (MOA or MIL) and not worry about CDS caps. They're a gimmicky shortcut to an imprecise shot.

Just use the standard turrets and begin collecting your dope. Write it all down. And use that data. Far more effective then a custom turret. What are you gonna when conditions change, powder, bullet, temperature etc etc etc. It is never going to be 100% accurate. And once it has yardages on there you won't know how to adjust. Stick to the original and just learn your dope. You can easily add a small paper taped to the stock if you can't memorize your data.

jmannila

FNG
Kenton has an awesome product and you can pay a small amount more to have access to the ballistics calcualtor for more than 1 scenario IE: east vs west, elevataion change etc. I use it on 2 rifles. 100% accurate from your zero to your long range with just a turret turn. Links below

OP
Longrifle

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
Kenton has an awesome product and you can pay a small amount more to have access to the ballistics calcualtor for more than 1 scenario IE: east vs west, elevataion change etc. I use it on 2 rifles. 100% accurate from your zero to your long range with just a turret turn. Links below

Very cool

smith406

FNG
Very cool

It’s really not.
Why buy a calculator, that solves a problem with a turret that itself is a solution for a nonexistent problem.
Jimcraig’s post nailed it
Just make a data card for where you are going to be and avoid all the extra steps.

What you think you're asking: "What elevation should I get my turret cut for?"

What you're asking: "Without telling you my margin of accuracy or the distance I'm going to be shooting, how inaccurate can a cam be for the elevation I'm shooting and still be ok?

The answer to this, is run your data, with all other values the same, for a given elevation, and then run it for the extreme elevations you picture yourself taking that cam. That will tell you the distance the cam will be "accurate enough" out to.