Custom/Semi-Custom Questions

wnelson14

WKR
Plus if you go to resell it, a custom action based rifle is worth way more than a 700.

Plus if you true a 700, add a m16 extractor, etc you're in custom territory cost wise.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I agree with you but is it just me or are a lot of the semi/custom full builds on Rokslide not selling seems like they sit here forever, semi custom you could just take apart and sell
Parts individually

ckleeves

WKR
Building off 700’s is pointless at this time unless your sentimentally attached to it. If you have a 700 in the closet to build off then sell it as a complete rifle and use the money toward a Origin or a Tikka. You can dump a pile of money into a 700 action and at the end of the day you still have a 700 action that says Remington on the side of it and is worth about 650 bucks to the right person after you dumped custom action money into it.

This may be a stupid question, so apologies in advance for my ignorance. I also appreciate folks wisdom up front. Here goes...

My plan is to rebarrel a rifle with a 1:7 or 1:7.5 twist for a .25-06. The goal is to be able to stabilize and shoot the new 130-135 grain high BC .257 bullets.

The .25-06 is a long action based off the .30-06 parent cartridge. So, can I simply buy any long action Tikka and have it rebarreled? Some of the demo prices are very modest at $649.

EDIT: my plan would be to use the Tikka stock, trigger, bottom metal, etc... I would just be swapping the barrel.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I agree with you but is it just me or are a lot of the semi/custom full builds on Rokslide not selling seems like they sit here forever, semi custom you could just take apart and sell
Parts individually
Whats custom for one person might not be for another I guess. A couple of years ago (2-3) I was looking hard for a winchester m70 stainless classic 375HH, I had WTB adds all over the place and called every gun shop in the state. I had at least 5-6 people contact me about having one for sale but they had all been modified to those peoples wants and didn't match what I was looking for. I wanted a clean, factory version of the gun which I finally got for a great price given to days pricing.

WRO

WKR
This may be a stupid question, so apologies in advance for my ignorance. I also appreciate folks wisdom up front. Here goes...

My plan is to rebarrel a rifle with a 1:7 or 1:7.5 twist for a .25-06. The goal is to be able to stabilize and shoot the new 130-135 grain high BC .257 bullets.

The .25-06 is a long action based off the .30-06 parent cartridge. So, can I simply buy any long action Tikka and have it rebarreled? Some of the demo prices are very modest at $649.

EDIT: my plan would be to use the Tikka stock, trigger, bottom metal, etc... I would just be swapping the barrel.
Get rid of that Tikka stock as well.

B23

WKR

All Tikka's have the same size action, the only differences are the size of the bolt face, the bolt stop and length of the magazine so you'd want to find a Tikka in 270 Win or 30-06, I think those are the only two that Tikka makes with standard bolt face and the longer magazine.

The only issue you may run into using a Tikka is with the limited overall length of your loaded ammo. The 06 case is fairly long and you add that along with those long bullets and you'll want to make sure your build has the correct length freebore for the more limited OAL of the Tikka mags. Doesn't mean it's a deal breaker but it's definitely something you'd want to talk to you gunsmith about before he chambers and throats your barrel. This is the problem with using prefit barrels, they may have a longer freebore than you will want.

All Tikka's have the same size action, the only differences are the size of the bolt face, the bolt stop and length of the magazine so you'd want to find a Tikka in 270 Win or 30-06, I think those are the only two that Tikka makes with standard bolt face and the longer magazine.

The only issue you may run into using a Tikka is with the limited overall length of your loaded ammo. The 06 case is fairly long and you add that along with those long bullets and you'll want to make sure your build has the correct length freebore for the more limited OAL of the Tikka mags. Doesn't mean it's a deal breaker but it's definitely something you'd want to talk to you gunsmith about before he chambers and throats your barrel. This is the problem with using prefit barrels, they may have a longer freebore than you will want.
This is exactly the information that I needed and thank you. Euro has a couple 270 and 06 demos for $650, and I was hoping to be able to use one as a platform for this project.

COAL can be an issue when using the long, heavy bullets. According to the author in this Shooting Times article, https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/25-06-king-quarter-bores/456718, "I couldn’t load them to kiss the rifling leade and also feed through the magazine, so I opted to work with the necessary jump. Single-loading cartridges, while possible, rather defeats the purpose of having a repeating rifle." What does this statement mean, that he had to seat the bullets deeper in the case to avoid magazine limitations?

B23

WKR
What does this statement mean, that he had to seat the bullets deeper in the case to avoid magazine limitations?
Yes. But, if a gunsmith is using a reamer with no freebore built into the reamer they can set the freebore length to whatever you want or whatever works best for the magazine you're using and or whichever bullets you plan to shoot so you can reach the lands, without going over your max COAL that your gun allows.

As I mentioned in the other post, have you considered building a 25-284 instead of a 25-06? Same performance, actually, probably slightly better with the 25-284 since you'll have plenty of length to play with and the allowable case capacity will be more with a 25-284 build. Just a thought.

Yes. But, if a gunsmith is using a reamer with no freebore built into the reamer they can set the freebore length to whatever you want or whatever works best for the magazine you're using and or whichever bullets you plan to shoot so you can reach the lands, without going over your max COAL that your gun allows.

As I mentioned in the other post, have you considered building a 25-284 instead of a 25-06? Same performance, actually, probably slightly better with the 25-284 since you'll have plenty of length to play with and the allowable case capacity will be more with a 25-284 build. Just a thought.
Thank you again, and I already have the .25-06 dies and 200 bullets. As a result, I could sort of hit the ground running from that aspect. I’d been trying to sell these on here for a long time with zero bites, before I started reading about the new Blackjack and Berger .25 caliber bullets.

All, what is the best barrel vise for removing factory tikka barrel? I've seen on youtube they can be a bear to remove. Grizzly Vise can be had for less than $50. Anybody have any experience with this one or have one to recommend?

Gila

WKR
Tikka: 25-06 OAL issue....You may be ok with your loads in a Tikka mag. I would try to find load data and determine what the COAL is for the bullets you want to shoot. High BC Low drag bullets are long and the OGIVE is way out there so they typically require longer throats. If you have to seat those bullets too deep, you lose case capacity for your powder and may not be able to achieve the performance that you want to get.

Tikka Barrel Removal: I thought about it, but I don’t think spending the money on tools for doing one or two barrels is worth it. Also, I have heard horror stories about trying to get those barrels off. The barrel makers that offer Tikka Shouldered pre-fits would prefer that you send in the barreled action and have them remove the barrel and twist on the new barrel. It averages about $200, and I think it is worth it because they can true up the face and check headspace.

There are pre-fits for quite a few actions these days....There are “Howage” barrels now for Howa 1500 action. it is the same thing as the “Remage” for the REM 700 action using a small shank Savage. Stock options are about whatever it is you want....