Custom Turret Advice

Choog

FNG
Hi all,

Got a question regarding a custom turret. I bought a Tract Toric scope and they had a promotion to get a free custom turret ($100 value). I have this scope on a new gun my dad and I purchased together for an elk hunt next year (Hells Canyon 300 WSM). We would not be using this gun for hunting in Texas at all. This will be a purely large game animal gun, really just for this trip but perhaps any large game trips in the future.

My question is what elevation should I give them to get my custom turret? Is there a good average-ish elevation that elk are hunted during the first 2 rifle seasons in CO? I'm honestly not sure how big of a role elevation plays in bullet drop.

I measured the muzzle velocity for my exact round (180gr Accubond -> 2,905 ft/s). This turret will give elevation in 50 yard increments. My hunt is going to be through rocky mountain outfitters of Colorado (near Canyon City) in the first rifle season. The idea for this turret being a quick range, dial and shoot type of thing. Any long range shooting I do here at home, I would just have the normal MRAD turret on and dial in.

Thanks in advance!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
7000 feet would be a perfect elevation for Colorado! That elevation should have you covered from about 5000-9000 feet. You might want to get a second turret for TX.

I agree with 1shotgear. I have my 300 win mag set up for nothing but elk/mule deer hunting in CO. I have my custom turret set at 7,000 feet, 40 F. The average area I hunt is 6,500 to 9,000 ft. I also have one set at 1,200 ft for hunting in the mountains of east TN. Just in case!!!!!

My 30 06 is set up with a custom turret for most of my TN hunting.