Custom Turret and Elevation

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I have three Leupold CDS scopes that I plan to mount up in the next week. The three rifles will primarily be for western hunts at elevations of 5500-8500, but I live in the east(elevation 475 ft above sea level). I deer hunt here as well, but most shots are within 300 yards. I'm torn on what elevation to use for my custom Turrets. Do I average the two extreme elevations from east/west or average the low-high ends of the western elevations? I know the dials would come into play much more on the western hunts but I also want to be able to efficiently practice here in the east. What are your thoughts?

Usi05

WKR
Talked to leupold guy yesterday. I am in exact same dilemma. He assured me they are plus or - 2k in elevation but I am going to go with MOA turret with a zero stop.

That way I can run different loads without spending $60 each time I want a new turret cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends on the rangefinder you are using. Some modern range finders will give you the corrected shoot to yardage on your turret based on your current elevation. If your range finder falls into that category than it doesn't really matter what elevation you go with. If not, you could either get a turret for out west and a turret for your home elevation and just switch them depending on where you are hunting. You could also just run an MOA turret and write down your hard data for different elevations. You should remember that the ranges on your turret are only going to be super reliable to about 500 yards. After that, you should be using a ballistic calculator to figure out your holdover based on your current elevation, station pressure, shooting angle, temperature, and wind. Hornady makes an easy to use ballistic app you can download on your phone. Good luck this season!

OP
Longrifle

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
Talked to leupold guy yesterday. I am in exact same dilemma. He assured me they are plus or - 2k in elevation but I am going to go with MOA turret with a zero stop.

That way I can run different loads without spending $60 each time I want a new turret cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a bad plan. My issue is that I swap between 4 rifles in any one season, so I'd rather just be able to grab and go and not have to worry about dope charts. Plus I run all factory loads. So, I guess I may end up with 2 turrets for each scope.

OP
Longrifle

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the rangefinder you are using. Some modern range finders will give you the corrected shoot to yardage on your turret based on your current elevation. If your range finder falls into that category than it doesn't really matter what elevation you go with. If not, you could either get a turret for out west and a turret for your home elevation and just switch them depending on where you are hunting. You could also just run an MOA turret and write down your hard data for different elevations. You should remember that the ranges on your turret are only going to be super reliable to about 500 yards. After that, you should be using a ballistic calculator to figure out your holdover based on your current elevation, station pressure, shooting angle, temperature, and wind. Hornady makes an easy to use ballistic app you can download on your phone. Good luck this season!

I'll look into the Hornady app. I may be better off with two different turrets for each scope. The range finder that factors in elevation would be good too. Cheaper to get the turrets I guess. Thanks! Good luck to you, as well.

JGRaider

WKR
Leupold uses a ballistic program to calculate, then etch the custom turrets after you give them your ballistic data. They will not provide and wind holds via the CDS, just yardarge. Lots of guys make a MOA dial with zero stop so they can use their own dope and just dial in correction for elevation. If you want several dials for each scope, you can order these from Custom Turret Systems. They are simply a sturdy tape that adheres to your specific dial, but have whatever dope you want them to by entering in in their data table. They work like a champ and are very customizable.

amassi

WKR
Just stick with the moa turret, you'll be happier and capable of adjusting for variables like temp, pressure and altitude
If your dead set on getting a custom cds dial just order 2. One western and one for home

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
You're going to be money ahead to get yourself involved in the shot. You know the conditions and the rifle.....just do the math.

Every ballistic solver today has more data input than you'll use vs a one time deal for something kinda close to where you might maybe be someday...

It's simple. Shoot gun and verify zero at known range. Shoot at another known range farther away. Input to program. Make corrections based on program advice at much farther target.....record results and input ro solver for fine calculation.

Go shooting.

Or have a turret made. Hope you're right on environmentals. Shoot with doubt.....and miss.

OP
Longrifle

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold uses a ballistic program to calculate, then etch the custom turrets after you give them your ballistic data. They will not provide and wind holds via the CDS, just yardarge. Lots of guys make a MOA dial with zero stop so they can use their own dope and just dial in correction for elevation. If you want several dials for each scope, you can order these from Custom Turret Systems. They are simply a sturdy tape that adheres to your specific dial, but have whatever dope you want them to by entering in in their data table. They work like a champ and are very customizable.

You're going to be money ahead to get yourself involved in the shot. You know the conditions and the rifle.....just do the math.

Every ballistic solver today has more data input than you'll use vs a one time deal for something kinda close to where you might maybe be someday...

It's simple. Shoot gun and verify zero at known range. Shoot at another known range farther away. Input to program. Make corrections based on program advice at much farther target.....record results and input ro solver for fine calculation.

Go shooting.

Or have a turret made. Hope you're right on environmentals. Shoot with doubt.....and miss.

Great. Thanks for your help! I'll check them out.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I’d send it in to leupold and tell them 7000 ft. They are good +- 2k ft. Zero at home the check at that elevation out west. Change if needed. It only really affects things 400+ yards. I’ve never had an issue. I live around 1200 ft and hunt 5000-10000. It was a concern to me also but after talking to a guy at leupold it changed my view on it.

OP
Longrifle

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I’d send it in to leupold and tell them 7000 ft. They are good +- 2k ft. Zero at home the check at that elevation out west. Change if needed. It only really affects things 400+ yards. I’ve never had an issue. I live around 1200 ft and hunt 5000-10000. It was a concern to me also but after talking to a guy at leupold it changed my view on it.

That was sort of my initial plan, to set it at 5000 ft thinking it'd probably be close here at low elevation and at high elevation on the mountain.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
That was sort of my initial plan, to set it at 5000 ft thinking it'd probably be close here at low elevation and at high elevation on the mountain.
Honestly I’ve never had an issue and I think you’ll be fine. It’s once you start shooting long range itll matter. You’ll be shooting higher at the higher elevation then at home

I had the same issue with both of my primary hunting rifles. I live at 1200 ft in TN but hunt in CO at 6000 to 8000 ft. So I got turrets for both, one at 1200 and one at 6000 ft. It is only 3 set screws to swap. I set the weather for the 1200 more in the TN range and the 6000 in the typical CO range.

OP
Longrifle

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same issue with both of my primary hunting rifles. I live at 1200 ft in TN but hunt in CO at 6000 to 8000 ft. So I got turrets for both, one at 1200 and one at 6000 ft. It is only 3 set screws to swap. I set the weather for the 1200 more in the TN range and the 6000 in the typical CO range.

I'm leaning in that direction right more and more after reading the replies. Or maybe getting the tapes made like suggested earlier.

Wrench

WKR
How many prs, lr shooters, scouts.....etc do you see using guessed data?

The turret is a tape measure. You tell the ballistic solver what variables are right now and it tells you what number you need on the tape measure. It can be a metric or standard tape.....it can be clicks, revs....etc. as long as it's consistent and the data is close, it'll work to quite a long ass ways away.

Lawnboi

WKR
There has been a lot of threads on this lately. If your truly wanting to make accurate first round hits at distance. A pre cut turret to ammo box spec will not get you there.

Eliminate variables and enter your own information. Get a reliable speed on your gun in the temperature your going to be hunting in.

Play with a ballistic app, see what a change makes in shot at your Max effective range. It’s more than just altitude that matters, pressure, humidityand temperature also go into calculating density altitude, which can change a lot during the day.

If your only going to shoot out to say 400 yea just generalize the weather and you might be good. But sending your turret in having it cut for what’s on the box for speed is throwing money away.

On top of that different lots of the same ammo can be very different when it comes to velocity. Case in point I went through 2 cases of 140 hornady match. One case was 2555av, one was 2680. Same ammo, same printed spec, different real world velocity. Something this small can cause a miss at 500 yards. Add on other factors in your calculation that may be off if your not getting real time info, like altitude, temp, pressure, humidity and your stacking the odds against yourself.

That’s why many are saying to learn an MOA or mil based turret and reticle. There’s a reason competitive shooters, don’t run etched turrets, because that stuff can change throughout the day or weekend.

Like said above if you must get a tape made. It’s cheaper, and you can change it if your environment changes. Or just slap a dope card on your stock, you want wind holds anyways.

Overdrive

WKR

The way I see it is a lot of the average guys are still guessing not so much with elevation but with wind drift. Not all Turret scopes are created equal. I'm a firm believer in spending the $1500+ for a good scope that is marked on the horizontal crosshair for wind drift hold and understand how to use it. So many things to take into account when hunting out west.

JGRaider

WKR

The turret is a tape measure. You tell the ballistic solver what variables are right now and it tells you what number you need on the tape measure. It can be a metric or standard tape.....it can be clicks, revs....etc. as long as it's consistent and the data is close, it'll work to quite a long ass ways away.

And obviously the data input needs to be proven data from actual shooting at the range. I've had a CDS on a VX6/Tikka 695 7mag/160 Accubond combo for several years now, and when the wind cooperates it works great out to 900 yds which is as far as I've tried.

JGRaider

WKR
The way I see it is a lot of the average guys are still guessing not so much with elevation but with wind drift. Not all Turret scopes are created equal. I'm a firm believer in spending the $1500+ for a good scope that is marked on the horizontal crosshair for wind drift hold and understand how to use it. So many things to take into account when hunting out west.

I agree. Wind holds (I am very fond of LRHS scopes) are mandatory for extended ranges IMO. I've seen one huge problem with modern day LR shooting and the general public, and even some seasoned guys. I've been hunting whitetails up in the TX Panhandle for 21 years. The ranch foreman is good friends with Todd Hodnett , and on several occasions he and some of his sniper students have come over to shoot prarie dogs, and I have also had the chance to go over to their place and watch him train and work with snipers from all over the world. They come to the Panhandle to learn to shoot in wind, as it blows to some degree every day.

The fact of the matter is that nobody, and I do mean nobody on the planet can make first round, cold bore hits every time when the wind is blowing inconsistently, which it does most of the time, which is why the serious LR guys at the range always have wind flags stretched down the lane to the target they're shooting. Flags tell an interesting story. Obviously the more you practice the better you'll get at doping wind, but it's the voodoo in the whole system. I can say though, don't let Hodnett's crew shoot twice.....

I've sat with David Tubb a few times as well, as his dad and our landowner's dad were great friends. He'll tell you the same thing about doping wind.

Lawnboi

WKR
I guess another question to ask, is how far do you plan to realistically shoot? At 400 yards you can be off a lot on your solver and still make hits.

Do you have actual chronograph data for the velocity? That would be the biggest factor that would keep me from dumping money on a custom turret.