“Customizing” a Bergara HMR

Currently have one of these in 300wm that shoots lights out... however at 12lbs it definitely doesn’t get used for much more than steel.

I was thinking in the coming year I’d like to get it cerakoted(my other complaint) and potentially buy a lightweight stock for it. I could easily drop 2lbs there!

My question - for those who have done it(or are just familiar with 700 pattern bottom metals) - I know the HMR bottom metal is unique and not compatible with most inlets. I was thinking of moving to a BDL style - what would I need to purchase? I realize I need a bottom metal, mag box and follower/spring. Any brand/lightweight suggestions? I’d like to be able to cycle up to 3.600 length if possible. It’s currently not possible with the factory mag

As far as stock, I was considering a Manners EH1 with the elite cheek riser.

Can't speak to the Manners stock, but I put my HMR in a Mesa Precision Arms stock and am using the Beegara bottom metal. The stock was not drop in ready though but so far I have been very pleased with the finished rifle. The Mesa stock was less than half the weight of the Bergara stock (my Bergara stock was 3 lbs 8 oz and my Mesa was 27 oz) so definitely worth putting yours in an aftermarket stock to cut weight.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can’t speak on the bergera itself, but having gone down the road of modifying expensive factory rifles to suit my needs, I found it easier to start from scratch.

Id have to really really like the action, and the barrel before I dove in to a stock that cost more than the rifle itself and a cerakote job.

On top of that I don’t think your ever going to be able to shake the weight of that barrel without going thinner or carbon, both of which leave you starting with the bare action, which again brings me back to how much do you like that action.

Just my 2 cents are starting to pour more money into a 1k rifle

Apollo117

WKR
@Lawnboi gave good advice. After the cost of a stock and coating you're almost at the price of a Christiansen Mesa in .300 Win.

Keep the Bergara and get a lightweight rifle instead of trying to trim weight off of the Bergara.

OP
J
@Lawnboi gave good advice. After the cost of a stock and coating you're almost at the price of a Christiansen Mesa in .300 Win.

Keep the Bergara and get a lightweight rifle instead of trying to trim weight off of the Bergara.
I hear you guys on the logic, problem with your example is that I would also want to replace the stock on the CA as well. I like the ergos of the HMR stock, just not the weight... and the lower end CA stocks are far from that. So go ahead and add 600-800 bucks over the cost of the Mesa and now we’re not so close anymore.

You guys did send me down a rabbit hole. Apparently the B14 actions are pretty damn true, but prefits for them are nonexistent due to the “cone” bolt face vs. remingtons flat which is disappointing. I even briefly considered doing it to a tikka but then you run into length issues as I would want to run 215s+.

Ah well, we’ll see what ends up happening.

Lawnboi

WKR
I did it with a CA Mesa....

After you factor in price of a stock, and coating you are approaching the more affordable custom options. Where you can get the gun built however you want it.

On top of that if you want a rebarrel I’d sell the gun whole, use the money to get the action and part of the barrel you want.

Moto268

FNG
Can't speak to the Manners stock, but I put my HMR in a Mesa Precision Arms stock and am using the Beegara bottom metal. The stock was not drop in ready though but so far I have been very pleased with the finished rifle. The Mesa stock was less than half the weight of the Bergara stock (my Bergara stock was 3 lbs 8 oz and my Mesa was 27 oz) so definitely worth putting yours in an aftermarket stock to cut weight.
I am interested in doing exactly this with my rifle at some point. What exactly needed to be changed in order to drop the HMR into this stock?

Vinny

FNG
I hear you guys on the logic, problem with your example is that I would also want to replace the stock on the CA as well. I like the ergos of the HMR stock, just not the weight... and the lower end CA stocks are far from that. So go ahead and add 600-800 bucks over the cost of the Mesa and now we’re not so close anymore.

You guys did send me down a rabbit hole. Apparently the B14 actions are pretty damn true, but prefits for them are nonexistent due to the “cone” bolt face vs. remingtons flat which is disappointing. I even briefly considered doing it to a tikka but then you run into length issues as I would want to run 215s+.

Ah well, we’ll see what ends up happening.
What ended up happening? I came across this post as I’ve thought about doing the exact same thing.
Bergara will rebarrel using their stainless premier series barrels for $600, according to their website.
For stocks, I believe the Grayboe Terrain will fit.

OP
J
What ended up happening? I came across this post as I’ve thought about doing the exact same thing.
Bergara will rebarrel using their stainless premier series barrels for $600, according to their website.
For stocks, I believe the Grayboe Terrain will fit.
I simplified my setup and ended up sending this rifle down the road. They’re great rifles for sure, just a lot heavier than I’d like.

I ended up buying a Tikka in 300wsm and dropping it into a AG composites. Total weight with scope is 9lbs - plenty of weight for stabilization when shooting LR, light enough that I don’t mind strapping it on my pack and hiking miles in with it.