Cut string

I nicked my string with my broadhead. It partially cut a few fibers of one strand above the peep. Do I really need to replace it……… or would some daily waxing or serving over the top get me through the season? Thanks.

Replace it. It's not worth the risk. I have done the same thing, it sucks but consider it a lesson learned.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
S
Here’s the damage, hard to find if I wax it up. Can I just run some serving over it?

Attachments

• BF7B216D-1596-4D2A-8A89-5C9DDB2CDAB6.jpeg
    BF7B216D-1596-4D2A-8A89-5C9DDB2CDAB6.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 107
OP
S
These are new gas strings and cables, I have a new set of prime factory string and cables, would it be better to replace string and cables or can I just throw the new prime string on?

87TT

WKR
Replace just the string. Better to do it now before it gets worse at the worst time.

My concern is that you can't see all the damage. As you start to shoot it the strands that are weakened will start to come apart.

If you get good measurements now before it starts to move, you should be able to get it back easy.

Measure your string now, twist the new one to the same measurements before you put it on. It's not going to matter having different string versus the cables.

OP
S
Balls…. I knew it but I just wanted one crazy person on here to tell me it would buff out. I could shave the whiskers off a squirrels face at 80 yards with this right now so I just hate to mess with my tune, just means I have to shoot more again I guess. Thanks everyone for talking me off the ledge.

Balls…. I knew it but I just wanted one crazy person on here to tell me it would buff out. I could shave the whiskers off a squirrels face at 80 yards with this right now so I just hate to mess with my tune, just means I have to shoot more again I guess. Thanks everyone for talking me off the ledge.
Keeping the string on sounds great now, but what happens if it snaps on you at full draw at some point during the season? You’re gonna be a whole lot more pissed off then - especially considering the damage it’s gonna cause.

Zac

WKR
I burnt a brand new X99 from Buckslayer once while putting a peep in. Hadn't even fired a single shot with it.

Wrench

WKR
I'd shoot that and never worry. There's plenty of meat. If I was worried, id mark the length and measure it....go shoot 100 and see if it crept....which it won't.

OP
S
I'd shoot that and never worry. There's plenty of meat. If I was worried, id mark the length and measure it....go shoot 100 and see if it crept....which it won't.
Have you nicked a string like this and used it for a while? I shoot a lot.

Wrench

WKR
My strings look like hell after 15 days in the woods. If it were on a wear area or subject to twisting....I might have a different opinion, but you're doubled up at the thimble. My opinion comes as an archer and a crane operator.....even cranes can have broken wires and be legal.

Nobody is going to tell you it is perfect, but if you think the safety factor is one strand in one lay....I'll argue.

OP
S
Does anyone think serving over the top is a good idea or would help at all? It couldn’t hurt?

87TT

WKR
OK, I will have to admit I “have” shot worse. But if it was me, and it being so close to hunting season, I would replace it with a new string and keep it for a spare. My motto (and it’s hanging over. My bench) is “no excuses”.
Serving will help with fraying some.

I have seen strings come apart from just a little damage sliding a peep. I wouldn't try to buy anytime with it, it's just putting you further behind. I know if it was mine the day before I'm leaving or the day I arrive I'd draw the bow back and be looking at the side of a peep.

If you have a press and another string this should take 60-90 minutes to be right back where we were pre broadhead. This isn't like putting a new set on. It really is pretty easy. Put the new string on, shoot 40 arrows, twist it up a little more if it settled, then set your peep and anything else.

OP
S
So I called up GAS and they are sending me just a new string for 50$ and getting it out the door this week, great customer service. There string tech did say I would be fine shooting it until the new string came, couldn’t really get an answer or how long…. and to just keep it waxed or serve over top. Problem is you couldn’t monitor the string if it’s served over.