Cutthroat Heads

Ive been able to kill a couple bucks this season using the cutthroat 125s and must say I'm sticking with em. Ive been shooting them for the past 2 years or so and they have always appealed to me with the solid and simplistic design. Easy to resharpen and tune easy for me as well. I used them on blacktail and whitetail with great blood trails and was able to reuse immediately no problem. im shooting a Turmoil at 60 lbs with 3 feathers and 460 grain finished weight. Thumbs up IMO. Any of you guys enjoying them this season as well ?

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I shot the 200grain model last year and love them, just like you said extremely easy to tune and sharpen. Last year I shot a but at 53 yards and a turkey at 33 yards, neither of the two ever knew what hit them. The only reason I did not shoot them this year is I waited to buy some 150 grain ones and they were out of stock. I have one 200 grain Cutthroat I have shot through two cow femurs and the only damage was some slight edge roll. Hopefully ethics archery comes out with some direct bond inserts for the .280 outside diameter for .204 ID arrows because I really want to buy some 160 grain glue on cutthroats for elk season next year.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll probably never use anything but cutthroats. The design and price can’t be beat. Used the 250 on my elk and I think it made a bad shot lethal. I thought he was slightly quartering to me but the arrow exited the opposite ham. So obviously the angle was more than I thought.
ae29877515b6b863f90e430238b08380.jpg
17c1dfb5787a0e8828ef68c11139ca20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac
OP
Violent Hippie
Yup. For me these are the heads I've always been waiting for. They check off every box . Nice Bull Travis !

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Y'all do know there will be a 1 1/2" or like 1 5/8" cutthroat coming out? :)

At least that is what I have heard through the grapevine.

OP
Violent Hippie
I spoke with the guys at RMS recently and there was no mention of that. I didnt specifically ask about it though.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with the guys at RMS recently and there was no mention of that. I didnt specifically ask about it though.
They had a picture of them on their Instagram a few month ago but here is a picture of one. I think this one was a 250 grain version at 1 1/2" wide. (Not my picture but I know the guy that has these).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 38
I've used the Cutthroat head on a few whitetail deer. Tom at RMSG is a one of a kind. Tom showed me how to hone the blade with a cardboard wheel and polishing compound. Now I can get them shaving sharp. Their customer service and attention to detail are fantastic.

From the deer that I've shot with the Cutthroats I found that they got the job done, no question. However, the blood trails were less than stellar. I've found that 3 blades (VPA) got the job done and left a much better blood trail. 3 blades are all that I'll use on deer now.

I've quit using Cutthroats on deer, but will continue to use them on elk because the penetration of a 2 blade simply can't be beat.

I'm using these on a 55# recurve with an arrow that weighs about 600 grains.

OP
Violent Hippie
Interesting. I have the VPA 3 blade 125s in my quiver as back up . Nice heads as well. Only other heads I'll consider.

sveltri

WKR
E94738CD-8B0C-40D9-A7F8-CCB200DEA3B3.jpeg
This blood trail is from a turkey my buddy shot this spring with a 200 grain cutthroat. It looked like this for 80 yards where we found the bird, he literally ran out of blood.

Only animal I've taken with my bow was with a 125 cut throat. I have since bought some ironwills but considering going back to these just because they are so simple, easy to sharpen, and a little less pricey.
9facda252cac18c058cc385c45257047.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Violent Hippie
Yup. Both the bucks I shot this year had real nice blood trails with the Cutthroats . They were both arterial neck shots though.

OP
Violent Hippie
This season I noticed actual blood splatter when butchering as if the deer was hit with a rifle round. Amazing heads. Deer dropped in 20 yards from double lung chest shot. Max damage. No blood trail to be honest but since it dropped within sight it didnt matter.