Cutting pelican foam

I have a 1750 case i need to cut to fit my Remington 700.
What all do you prefer to have in case with rifle,cleaning rod,cleaning kit,ammo,tri pod,pistol,etc?
Any other pointers such as scope towards top,bottom or rifle level or angled?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I cut a spot for the bolt. The Clea ing rod is a good idea but could just be put behind the foam.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I have the scope "up" towards the center. I have a cutout for two boxes of ammo. I also have a cutout for my "travel" tripod minus the head.

I put two magazines in a gap under the center foam. I do not put anything else in the case.

I put the scope away from the hinge.
Then if it's laying in the back seat I flip it up towards the seat back to grab rifle.

I cut out a spot for the bipod attached to rife.
And a spot for the rangefinder but have never actually used it.

I use an electric carving knife to cut it. If you want clean lines, the trick is to trace whatever holes your cutting backwards and then flip the foam over when your done. All the tracing marks will be on the bottom and usually cleaner edges on that side if you keep the blade nice and straight while cutting.

Flyrodr

FNG
Now to the forum, but not to Pelican cases. Try a serrated knife, like a bread knife, and "saw" out the pattern. That's after you've traced the gun's outline on the foam with a Sharpie. I've used Pelican cases for decades for cameras, and the foam is OK, but not the best. The foam,, as it ages, tends to crumble a bit around the edges, and can get into crevices of your gun. If you have, or get, a padded Cordura (or similar) case that your gun fits in, and fits in the Pelican, toss the foam, and just use the padded case inside the Pelican. If you use the foam, and IIRC, Pelican recommends leaving 1/2" - 1" of foam intact around the edges to provide adequate padding. I'd place the gun with the scope at the "top" (handle) side of the case, so if it's carried by that center handle and dropped, the scope will be protected best.

Geewhiz

WKR
Now to the forum, but not to Pelican cases. Try a serrated knife, like a bread knife, and "saw" out the pattern. That's after you've traced the gun's outline on the foam with a Sharpie. I've used Pelican cases for decades for cameras, and the foam is OK, but not the best. The foam,, as it ages, tends to crumble a bit around the edges, and can get into crevices of your gun. If you have, or get, a padded Cordura (or similar) case that your gun fits in, and fits in the Pelican, toss the foam, and just use the padded case inside the Pelican. If you use the foam, and IIRC, Pelican recommends leaving 1/2" - 1" of foam intact around the edges to provide adequate padding. I'd place the gun with the scope at the "top" (handle) side of the case, so if it's carried by that center handle and dropped, the scope will be protected best.
A new guy contributing useful information before asking for secret spots?? 😲

Welcome to the forum!

Vaultman

WKR
A new guy contributing useful information before asking for secret spots?? 😲

Welcome to the forum!
Or how to get around classified min-post rules. Nice work.
Thanks @Flyrodr That is a great idea. I have an uncut one that I have had for years, and never really thought of that idea.

Flyrodr

FNG
Thanks! I'm "seasoned" (70+), and more of a fisherman (and mostly fly fishing at that, for over a half century) than a shooter/hunter. And most of my hunting has been birds and small game. Lately, though, I've gotten interested in centerfire rifles, found this site, and am enjoying it immensely. Live in the Southeast, so distant from the West, and distance here is clearly a relative term. I mean, we have trees and mountains that are similarly relative!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I use an electric carving knife to cut it. If you want clean lines, the trick is to trace whatever holes your cutting backwards and then flip the foam over when your done. All the tracing marks will be on the bottom and usually cleaner edges on that side if you keep the blade nice and straight while cutting.
Second tracing and electric carving knife.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second a sharp serated knife, i also cut all mine with the scope toward the handle so the weight of the rifle isn’t on the scope when being transported

I use chalk for tracing. Cleans up easily.