Cutting slots in buckles

calvb1

FNG
I have an older Kuiu ultra pack that uses the g hook buckles, I'd love to be able to start using the standard clip buckles that the newer packs use and luckily Kuiu sends loads of spares with the packs.

Does anyone have tips on how to cut a buckle to be able to attach it to a sewn loop?
How much do we think it would effect the strength of the buckle?

Thanks!

WoodBow

WKR
Are you talking about cutting slots in side release buckles? If so, I have done it. It is easy and works great. Just cut an angled slot in the center just like a repair buckle has. I used a bandsaw but any saw will work. Just sand down the cut edges so they are smooth.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
C

calvb1

FNG
Are you talking about cutting slots in side release buckles? If so, I have done it. It is easy and works great. Just cut an angled slot in the center just like a repair buckle has. I used a bandsaw but any saw will work. Just sand down the cut edges so they are smooth.

Thats exactly what I meant, how wide did you have to cut the slot?
I tried doing one a while ago and went small on the slot but then couldnt get the loop through (doesnt help that they are 3/4 buckles.

WoodBow

WKR
1697f5dba590ed47de1df017b7737158.jpg

WoodBow

WKR
Wider slot will not weaken them. Cut as wide as needed. Just need to leave enough to hold the strap.

WoodBow

WKR
Some I have on hand for reference
031a36cc6dfbfa3eade408589dc0b200.jpg

Mt Al

WKR
I don't have a band saw, so the buckle in a vise and use a hack saw, cut the first slot at an angle, move over a few mm and cut the next slot, then sand off the plastic-y mung and smooth it off.

Gotta get me a band saw!

sndmn11

WKR
I have used wire cutters at about 1/3rd across and then a snip or two more to open the slot.

The 1" gate keepers are a much better solution in my eyes.

OP
C

calvb1

FNG
Thanks for the advice, I sometimes forget how amazing this place is.

I did look at buying them, but the fact that I already have so many buckles and it is also surprisingly difficult to find the repair buckles in 3/4 inch.. and then they would be able to clip to the frame buckles.. with that long a lost I thought I'd see what could be done.

I'll report back on how many i screw up.

Carlin59

WKR
Maybe obvious, but using needle nose pliers really helps to manipulate webbing through the cut slots.

CB4

WKR
I have used wire cutters but if you want a cleaner finish use a Dremel or arrow saw.

intunegp

WKR
I used a Dremel to cut the chest buckles off my Marsupial Gear bino harness in order to install the buckle delete kit. I was able to get a very clean cut with a standard Dremel cutoff wheel even though I was being careful not to nip the webbing. Slow and steady and they will turn out fine.