Cutting the hole for stove pipe

Davebuech

WKR
So I got my new Sawtooth a few weeks ago. The stove jack has not been cut yet and wondering the best way to do so? I am thinking draw a line around the circumference of the pipe, then cut x and + across with a razor knife. Then push the pipe through.

Sound right or do you cut a complete circle out the circumference of your pipe?

Thanks

reaper

WKR
Hey congrats for your awesome new shelter.I always cut mine like pie slices,for drawing your circle and use a food can about 3" or 4" and find your center and draw few lines and cut.I am surprise Kifaru doesnt cut it?...maybe you order it without a stove?.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I prefer the star pattern of slits like on the Seek Outside stove jacks. This way you can use different sized stove pipes.

OP
Davebuech

Davebuech

WKR
Thanks. Sorta what I was trying to say, yep pie slices. Ok so just a can or something similar in size to the pipe to mark it out. Sounds easy.

Yes, I ordered it without the stove. Pretty sure I am going with the SO SXL stove but haven't ordered it yet.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I used a soup can to outline and my Havalon. Worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Thanks Colonel. So if I cut 4 inch diameter (for example) and used a 3.5 inch pipe I wouldnt get leaking? I would think to cut it to fit tight but thats a good idea

Just depends on how you want to do it. There's always a chance that you'd get some water coming in if it's raining pretty good. Then again, its probably raining down your pipe if it's raining that bad. I guess the good thing is any water that did leak in would just fall around or run down the pipe which should be clear of any gear.

seek-outside-stove-jack-3-z.jpg

Beendare

WKR
Do you guys with the slits get any burning on the flaps against the pipe?

I cut an oval in the 2 tents I had stoves in...one did have a little leakage

I used a pint beer glass, used the rim traced it and cut out a circle. You want it loose incase with wind picks up the fabric and pulls the pile off the stove. So you want the pipe to slide freely.