Cuz Chit Happens

Just a heads up...whenever you get drawn and plan to hunt there's always the chance that Murphy's Law will screw the pooch and you may be unable to hunt. Injury, illness, job issues, family obligations...the list of potential causes is long. So now what?

I found myself in this situation last week, my September bow hunt for elk suddenly forfeited. Here's what I discovered, you can donate your hunt to a disabled veteran by contacting the Veterans Sportsman Alliance (VSA) at Veterans Sportsman Alliance | Making a real difference in the lives of our injured and disabled veterans..

The vet taking my place is a bow hunter like me with one major difference, he's missing an arm and two legs and uses his teeth to draw. He is a better shot than I am! (Insert humbled expression here)

VSA has not only facilitated conversion of the tag to him but informed me that they would provide him assistance with someone who knows the area to maximize his chances for success and help him field dress and pack out his kill if he connects. They also told me that because I purchased point guard, i would keep the point for 2021.

Overall I feel really good about this. Disappointed at first, I am now feeling really excited that a hunter more deserving than I can hunt this tag...I'm told he's completely thrilled. So if Murphy's Law ever interrupts one of your scheduled hunts anywhere in the world, consider this option.
I dealt with:
Sheila Martin
President
Arizona Chapter in Kingman

She's great! Just sharing this in support of our brave veterans. Thanks VSA, you do good & invaluable work.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Good on you, brother. It's sucks that you don't get to go, but I'm sure you've made somebody else's year! I've bookmarked this post, just in case anything goes awry for my wyoming hunt, this year. Thank you.

AZ8

WKR
Good deal! There are some great organizations in Arizona that offer this. And you get your points back if using a qualified organization.

Good luck to the hunter!

That's awesome Bruce! Good for you doing some searching to find a great resolution!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Very cool, I think that’s awesome. I’ve donated money/items to a few veteran groups and you can tell it is overwhelmingly appreciated; maybe more so than any other donation you can make.

Thanks to all veterans for your service!

Outstanding. It’ll comeback to you down the road. No better person to give a hunt to than those who have protected our freedom.

Guys, don't let Bruce fool you. The guy has been supporting and working with Veteran organizations for years, but does not talk about it much. I am however glad he is speaking up in this case and informing us about how to make sweet lemonade out of lemons.

Bruce, WTG!!!!!!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I personally can't think of a better cause, good call.. Will you be able to find out how his hunt turned out?

OP
Where's Bruce?
The guide is a close personal friend of mine (he introduced me to the VSA folks) so yeah...I'll hear the whole story and probably get pics and video too. I have been extraordinarily lucky in AZ... got drawn for elk tags four times in six years. In good units too. When you consider that they only issue 10% of the tags to non-residents...that's an amazing history...better than many AZ residents. Some of those tags were for hunts that only had 250 tags total...so I was one of 25 NR hunters to be drawn. I am very blessed. I really hope he smokes one. Say a brief prayer for him.

Last edited: