CVA Accura MR-X Cluster Fudge

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
As we all know, I am a big fan of CVA guns since a young age. I had a customer come to me and ask me to get him set up for a solid 200 yard rig for NM elk. Well I picked out the paramount, but he was later talked into buying the CVA Accura MR-X .45cal.. Ok cool! not a big deal.

Boy was I wrong! These coronarush built guns started having issues with accuracy. They blamed the base on the powerbelt for being off center... I found a deeper problem that involved the whole darn gun.

#1 i saw little speckles all over the scope mount. Thought maybe it was just paint until i used my fingernail to scratch it, and it cut my finger nail.

next the forearm was off..........center.... I did the suggested "adjustment" which did nothing to correct the alignment.

While working on the forearm, I noticed that the barrel and frame were not even center. Tight gap on one side, loose gap on the other.

I closed the barrel and notice the grand canyon running through one side of the frame/barrel gap.

This was the final nail in the coffin. The entire barrel was welded off center! The edge of the breech plug actually slightly sticks over the edge of the frame! Not even close to being centered in the frame. Imagine where that firing pin would strike a primer!

Yes, its going back for a refund and I'll try to talk the customer into the paramount and hope I don't find the issues i did on this MR-X!

Look CLOSELY if you buy one!

Just picked myself up a MRX in 50 cal. last week. So far I'm really happy with mine. Hopefully you just got a bad one.

I mounted up a scope to do some load testing. I only shot it a handful of times to get the scope zeroed. But with a random load I threw in the gun just to zero I was able to shoot a ~1.25" group at 100 yards. I was shooting 100 Gr. by volume of BH209 with a powerbelt ELR 330 gr bullet. I'm pretty dang happy with that for the first group out of the gun. I've got some Thor, and Fury bullets on the way to try out and see what it likes.

Firehawk

WKR
I picked up an MR-X .50 caliber in Stainless/Black for Christmas. Fit and finish looks pretty good. Haven't been able to get it out shooting yet, but got the scope mounted and I am ready in that regard. The rail screws were pretty loose though. I did take them out, put a tiny bit of LocTite blue on each screw and torqued them down at mfg spec. Forend is tight on the frame, had to play with that a little to get the hang of how to do that part putting it back together, but once I did, it has worked great since.

Ran Thor sizing bullets down the barrel. .500 were a little loose for my liking, but enough it would hold on the charge without sliding out. The .501 was so tight that I literally had to pound the ramrod onto the bullet repeatedly to get it down. So the .501 is too tight. But it seemed to be consistent pressure all the way down the barrel.

FH

OP
FrontierGander

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
The thors are great bullets. You only want them to lightly engage the rifling. Anymore, and you'll have a terrible time loading. Copper is soft, but not as soft and forgiving as lead.

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
Another issue with the 45 cal MR-X inconsistent bore diameter. Bullets will lose resistance around 12 inches down the bore. CVA knows of this issue but does not seem to care. Properly sized Fury will only take a couple pounds of pressure once they hit the oversized bore.

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
Just got an MR-x 50 cal that was going to be an upgrade to my optima Some of the finish on the stock was chipped and the forearm was way off center like in the OPs pictures. I returned it. Poor quality for a $630 dollar muzzleloader

Long time shooter of the Accura V2 and have been super happy with it. Since my son is going to be hunting next year I just picked up a MR-X for the comb adjustment and threaded barrel. I’m not sure if my V2 is just worn in and smooth or if the MR-X is just clunky. All of the operations with it feel gritty. Need to play with the trigger because it feels twice as heavy as the V2 and I’m not a huge fan of how much I need to move my hand away from the trigger on the MR-X compared to the V2 to set the hammer. It’s a sweet looking rig but we will see how it shoots this weekend.

Cva accura MR with 250 grain Barnes expander mz . 120 grains of blackhorn 209 powder shoots with accuracy of a centerfire rifle . Most accurate muzzle loader I've shot. Very happy with it

Can anyone chime in on if the trigger gets any better with use? Have the poundage turned all of the way down and it’s like pulling an anvil compared to my V2

OP
FrontierGander

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
no it doesnt get better with use. Send it back and request that they find one with a 3lb or less trigger. The replacement i got was a lot better, but i tore the stock off, blew out the action with gun scrubber and reoiled. Huge difference now that all the shavings are gone.

As we all know, I am a big fan of CVA guns since a young age. I had a customer come to me and ask me to get him set up for a solid 200 yard rig for NM elk. Well I picked out the paramount, but he was later talked into buying the CVA Accura MR-X .45cal.. Ok cool! not a big deal.

Boy was I wrong! These coronarush built guns started having issues with accuracy. They blamed the base on the powerbelt for being off center... I found a deeper problem that involved the whole darn gun.

#1 i saw little speckles all over the scope mount. Thought maybe it was just paint until i used my fingernail to scratch it, and it cut my finger nail.

next the forearm was off..........center.... I did the suggested "adjustment" which did nothing to correct the alignment.

While working on the forearm, I noticed that the barrel and frame were not even center. Tight gap on one side, loose gap on the other.

I closed the barrel and notice the grand canyon running through one side of the frame/barrel gap.

This was the final nail in the coffin. The entire barrel was welded off center! The edge of the breech plug actually slightly sticks over the edge of the frame! Not even close to being centered in the frame. Imagine where that firing pin would strike a primer!

Yes, its going back for a refund and I'll try to talk the customer into the paramount and hope I don't find the issues i did on this MR-X!

Look CLOSELY if you buy one!
I was super excited to get my CVA Accura MR-X today. Cant find primers right now, but they will come soon I hope. Here is the forearm out of the box. Otherwise everything else seems to be ok. I understand the floating barrel concept, but this is not correct by any means. Talking with CVA right now and I just sent the same pictures. I will update once they respond.

Attachments

• Left Forearm.jpg
    Left Forearm.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Right Forearm.jpg
    Right Forearm.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Top Forearm.jpg
    Top Forearm.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 66

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
Would like to hear what CVA says about the stock. Mine is off a little, nowhere as bad as yours

OP
FrontierGander

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
they supposedly had a casting flaw early on and this is why they are so off center.

I was super excited to get my CVA Accura MR-X today. Cant find primers right now, but they will come soon I hope. Here is the forearm out of the box. Otherwise everything else seems to be ok. I understand the floating barrel concept, but this is not correct by any means. Talking with CVA right now and I just sent the same pictures. I will update once they respond.
So CVA was going to send a new fore-end, but they didn't have a timeline other than "when its available". The distributor I purchased from is going to replace the gun. Basically everyone knows about it, it seems like. I did request them to make sure its a correct fit before sending it out. I will update once they send the replacement or not. The gun other than that flaw seems to be solid. I have read about the 45 cal having some issues on barrel diameter. I am hoping that is not the case, but CVA said they would stand behind it if it was and to use the recommended bullet and powder. Fingers crossed I get one back and its a straight shooter!

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Grab a .452 bullet and see if it nearly free falls down the barrel. More than likely less weight than a ramrod will be all it takes. CVA wants you to use their ELR bullets and they dont care if the bore it oversized.

So CVA was going to send a new fore-end, but they didn't have a timeline other than "when its available". The distributor I purchased from is going to replace the gun. Basically everyone knows about it, it seems like. I did request them to make sure its a correct fit before sending it out. I will update once they send the replacement or not. The gun other than that flaw seems to be solid. I have read about the 45 cal having some issues on barrel diameter. I am hoping that is not the case, but CVA said they would stand behind it if it was and to use the recommended bullet and powder. Fingers crossed I get one back and its a straight shooter!
So I got my replacement from MUZZLE-LOADERS.COM. I can say these guys have the best service around. They never hesitated in getting me a new gun sent out. I even had several conversations with them regarding the problems. As said here before there was a casting issue with the for-end. My new gun came in and I did have to do an adjustment to the for-end to tightened it down as it had a small amount of give. Other than that it looks awesome and once my primers get here i will update the range accuracy. I do have a question for the guys shooting the 45 caliber....The gun ships with the Blackhorn 209 Breech plug and recommends Blackhorn and the 209m primers ONLY. Does anyone have any suggestions or tried 777 powder? I do have primers ordered and I have Blackhorn and 777 powder so I hope to get a range day here soon.

hunt1up

WKR
I too bought a new MR-X and the foreend was all crooked. I called CVA a few months ago and they said to check back since they were waiting on a shipment of foreends. I called back today and they were in stock. They're sending me a new one, no questions asked. The quality control that allowed that gun to ship was lacking, but their service to fix the issue was great. I hope it fits better once it arrives.

Finally got my primers. Found these guys on gunbrokers. PacificNorthwestMunitions A+(2257). Guy was responsive and shipped quick. Price is what it is, but I dont think anything is gonna change anytime soon. I will be at the range in a few weeks to find out how accurate this MR-X is. I think there was a flaw in the forened on these guns as there is with any manufactured product. CVA didn't make them from what I understand, so they shipped as is.