CVA Accura MR-X Cluster Fudge

bwuebbels

FNG
NCDeerhunter thanks for the update!! This is definitely one on my list as well for the upcoming season in Illinois. Appreciate you sharing the range results when they are available. Thanks again!!!

Firehawk

WKR
I finally made it to the range to shoot my CVA Accura MR-X .50 caliber. If it always does, what it did on Saturday, I will be a very happy camper. From a self mounted scope, bore sighted as best I could at 25 yards, first shot was perfect left/right, but about 5" low. Made some adjustments and put the next shot at 25 yards into the 2" orange bullseye, lower left quadrant. Decided it was good enough to go to 100 yards. Next shot, was right there, but about 2" low. Adjusted the scope (Burris Signature Select 3.5-10x40) and switched from the "cheap" power belt bullets (245 grain) to the Thor bullets (300 grain) that I had fitted to the gun. Next shot was a couple inches low, but still pretty good left/right. I made a couple of small adjustments to the scope to match the 300 grain bullets, and shot again. Bulleseye. I put several shots where they were supposed to go at 100 yards. So...with my last two loads of powder measured out, I decided I would take it to 200 yards and put the Ballistic Plex reticle to the test. First shot, 3" right of center, perfect elevation, in the Green circle of the target. Next and last shot, same elevation and 1.5" from the center. Good enough to consider it "sighted in" for now and I went home.

I can't remember a gun that so easily did what it was supposed to do. Shoots very good, trigger is a little heavy, but crisp, easy to clean and not hard on the shoulder. I was shooting 110 grains (by volume) of Blackhorn 209, Fed 209 Primer and mostly a 300 grain Thor. I will weigh out some charges now, and see what charges it likes best, but it sure started out nice. Excited to hunt this fall with it. I have a ML deer tag for Utah and my daughter does too. should be a good time.

My rifle is the stainless version with the black stock in .50 caliber.

FH

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
I just got my replacement foreend from CVA. The new one locks in much tighter and it’s still equally as crooked. I’m debating if I whine about it or just use it. Yeah it’s not right, but it shoulders fine and should still work as it should. I just hate spending good money to have something not correct.

Accura MR-X 45 caliber update:

Ok guys. Finally got to the range. I was extremely happy, especially after reading all the failures with this gun. 97 degrees and humidity was 78%. The gun was cleaned first and laser bore sighted. It was shot twice at each range and never cleaned. 50-yd shot was dead on. 100 yd was grouping 1.3/4. 200 yd was 2.5. It was so hot we decided to shoot all the groups with no cleaning, but we did allow the barrel to cool between groups. We decided to shoot some steel for fun and hit all the targets at the different ranges. We sent 15 shots total with no cleaning. I will go back when it cools off some and see where I am at with cleaning between ranges.

Here was my set up:

Accura MR-X 45 caliber with Leupold VX Freedom Muzzleloader scope

Anarchy full port muzzle break

45 ELR Bullet

70 gr weighed of Black Horn powder

209M primers

I was looking hard at this one, but wow.... sounds like so many problems with these...

What would be a good alternative?

Foldem

WKR
Shot my 2021 MR-X .45 for the first time two weekends ago. 100 gr BH-209, PB ELR bullet, and 777 primers. Shot lights out. 3 MOA with open sights at 100 and 200 yards. Using the western precision peep/globe with fine crosshairs.

Overdrive

WKR
A lot of it depends on your breech plug design and function and a bigger part could be the temps that you are shooting in!

CVA 209 breech plug

But I've never had a problem even after getting caught in a down poor and shot to get a fresh load in. I shoot the load that works best and was most accurate after trying all different components and powder charges.

110 gr of BH 209
T7 primer
270 gr platinum PB

So to each there own.

Overdrive

WKR
Some people like to take chances when the shot matters. Others use what is recommended and for sure works.

A recommendation is a manufactures cover their butt. It's amazing I've harvested any animals cause I also shoot reloads in my rifles and every owners manual "recommends" not using reloads. Weird.

CVA 209 breech plug

But I've never had a problem even after getting caught in a down poor and shot to get a fresh load in. I shoot the load that works best and was most accurate after trying all different components and powder charges.

110 gr of BH 209
T7 primer
270 gr platinum PB

So to each there own.
I wasn't necessarily talking about moisture - more about temps. The colder it gets the greater the need for ignition temperature. Remember BH is basically a Nitro Cell smokeless powder.

Overdrive

WKR
I wasn't necessarily talking about moisture - more about temps. The colder it gets the greater the need for ignition temperature. Remember BH is basically a Nitro Cell smokeless powder.

Guess I'll play with it in the winter, but I don't see a reason for it for my needs. My ML hunts happen in September and the coldest temp I've had has been mid 30's.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Win209s, CCI209M and FED209As work everytime in a well designed plug...WinT7 primers...not so much....Been there the first year BH209 was available in an excellent Knight breech plug. Makes no sense to take a chance when the shot matters.

IIRC a WinT7 is only about 50%-60% as powerful as a mag or Win209 primer. Its the least powerful of all the 209 ML primers.

Guess I'll play with it in the winter, but I don't see a reason for it for my needs. My ML hunts happen in September and the coldest temp I've had has been mid 30's.

At 30* you probably do not have a problem - so if they work for you - go for it. But, I would move to a hotter 209!

And again the design of the of the BP is a consideration to think about.

jrogerso

FNG
I love my .50 MRX. Glad I got a good one, I guess. I also have the Cascade on .450 bushmaster as here in Delaware we are limited to shotguns or rifles using straight-walled cartridges.