CVA Accura V2 (27") or V2 LR (30") for CO?

TDN

FNG
Howdy,

Planning to grab some ML tags for CO elk/deer this Fall. I'm not new to muzzleloading (trad, inline + smokeless) but I am trying to figure out which CVA to order to use this Fall. I recently held a Accura PR and very quickly figured out that the comb was too high and couldn't work w/ my newly ordered Williams Precision sight set. The CVA rep said both the 27" V2 and the V2 LR (30") stocks were lower to accommodate open sight use. By doing a close look at their website the 27" V2 comb looks s tiny bit lower... so my two questions are:

1. Has anyone successfully stuck irons on the V2 LR?

2. Any considerations on using the Williams Western Precision set w/ the 27" vs the 30" barrel? Obviously the longer sight radius is a benefit, as is the velocity gain. Would love to hear any feedback from either barrel users.

Thanks so much!

Fitzwho

WKR
I would make sure those are tapped for front sights. I remember looking at the LR for the same reason and it isn’t (from my recollection).

OP
T

TDN

FNG
Looks like they both are. Even the PR and MR which have too high of combs are D&T'd.

Leaning towards the V2 LR. Anyone here w/ that rifle and experience w/ irons??

I'm 99% sure the V2 and LR stock is the exact same. I've owned both but never at the same time.

My .45cal LR wears the Williams with no issues and came tapped for irons.

There was a time when some of the LRs were not tapped but I believe that time has passed because every Accura I've picked up in the past two years or so (PR, MR, V2, LR) have all been D&T for irons.

All that being said- in choosing a 50cal muzzy for open sight hunting in Colorado I would be more inclined to go with the slightly shorter barrel.

Fitzwho

WKR
Now that has my interest up. It has been 3 years or so since I looked at one. Went A different way because the longer barrel Accura at the time wasn’t tapped for the front sight.

That should be a pretty solid setup and a bit cheaper than the Paramount Pro Colorado.

OP
T

TDN

FNG
Agreed. I think I am going to land on the V2 LR, knowing it works w/ irons.

On though depending on your quarry--- .45 cal....

There are quite a few companies making bore sized bullets now, even some in .50 cal. Not your average powerbelt (which I've had so-so results with, both velocity and accuracy). But it is a higher BC bullet that you then run through a sizing die to get to your EXACT bore dimensions, ensuring a tight fit and good velocity.

I was getting a 300gr .45cal up to 2100fps with (87.5gr by weight) of BH209

That said- some states restrict muzzys to .50 or larger for elk etc. There are some bullets like these available and I plan to test them at some point.

rdbunch20

FNG
LR 50 is tapped for iron sights. Its shots 300 grain harvesters at 2100fps with 86 grains by weight of blackhorn. The harvesters are only a 45cal so I don't know what to recommend for CO.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
T

TDN

FNG
Thanks folks!!

I size bullets for my smokeless 45 cals and BH209 45 cals but would rather not get into a whole die/sizing set up for the 50 cal. This will be a primarily elk hunt for me so, 50cal it is. I'm hoping to keep it simple and mount a scope to test accuracy w/ BOR Locks and Thors. Then put on the sights and hit the hills!