CVA Accura V2

IAHNTR

WKR
Anyone have any experience with this muzzleloader? I'm looking into getting one soon and figured I'd ask. Thanks

I have about 200 shots thru a friends. At 100 yards with open sights it is accurate with most every load we put thru the thing, obviously more accurate with the "right" load but 2.5" was our biggest 3 shot group.....again with open sights. He has since put a scope on it, but I have not been able to shoot it since then. He is claiming (and I trust him) moa at 150 yards which is as far as he has shot it so far.

I plan on getting one when I find a deal as good as the one he got. All in all I think it is a quality muzzleloader.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
That's very promising to hear. I just can't seem to get my knight to shoot worth a Crap.

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
I have a disc extreme. It seems like the bore is large, like .504, and nothing really fits tight in it. I have tried the thicker sabots from MMP and still really no luck. I think the best 3 shot group at 100 off a bench would be around 3.5 inches. This is scoped with a good scope too.

IAHNTR I have both the Knight Disc Extreme and the CVA Accura (but not the Accura 2). Both have great barrels and are very accurate. If I was in the market for a new muzzleloader, I would get an Accura 2 in a heart beat....great barrel (Bergara), an excellent trigger (love it!), and now the finger removable breech plug. A major advantage of the Accura is that a break action is FAR easier to clean than the bolt on the Knight and no adaptors are needed for the 209 primers. I have the Knight for an Oregon legal muzzleloader, and shoot it with musket caps.

Last edited:
OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
Thanks Umpqua, that really helps in my decision to go with the CVA. What combos have you found to work well in your Accura? I have some Blackhorn 209, but don't really know if the aftermarket breech plug is a must for that, and some PT Gold 300 grainers that I'd like to try. I'm also debating on a 45 or 50 caliber. hmmmm....

Thanks Umpqua, that really helps in my decision to go with the CVA. What combos have you found to work well in your Accura? I have some Blackhorn 209, but don't really know if the aftermarket breech plug is a must for that, and some PT Gold 300 grainers that I'd like to try. I'm also debating on a 45 or 50 caliber. hmmmm....

I liked the 50 caliber, just cause there are so many good accessories out there for a 50, but I have heard good things about the 45.

I have made no modifications to the breech plug and have had totally reliable results with a Fiocchi primer. Just make sure, when cleaning your gun to fully clean the breech plug, including reaming out the fire channel by hand with a loose fitting drill and using a welding torch tip cleaner to clean the fine hole. The load I am shooting is:

110 grains of Blackhorn 209 (77 grains if weighed rather than volume measured, I weigh my loads)
Fiocchi 209 primer (#616)
250 grain Barnes T-EZ (I did not have nearly as good of results with the TMZ)

Here are a couple links on the Accura and that load:

http://blog.cva.com/muzzleloader-cva-accura/

http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=1562593568&targetid=profile

OP
IAHNTR

IAHNTR

WKR
What sabots were you using? How much blowback have you experienced and have you experienced any troubles with the ramrod holder inner thingy/guide. Also do you thing one could devised a way to attach a Harris bipod on it??

What sabots were you using? How much blowback have you experienced and have you experienced any troubles with the ramrod holder inner thingy/guide. Also do you thing one could devised a way to attach a Harris bipod on it??

I was using the sabot that comes with the T-EZ bullet/sabot combo. The T-EZ is a looser fitting bullet/sabot combo than the TMZ bullet/sabot combo.

There is a blow back adjustment on the Accura. Surrounding the firing pin is a threaded adjustable face that you screw in or out to exert the proper pressure on the primer. Also, I think European 209 primers tend to be a tiny bit larger diameter. I have very little blowback.

I have had some problems with the ramrod sticking. I still need to chase that one down.

I have shot Harris bipods for 25 years on all my rifles, but I have not looked into mounting one on this rifle yet.

Last edited: