CVA LR-X .50 Arrowhead breech plug upgrade.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Reaching out here if anyone has used the arrowhead Gen 2 LRMP CVA replacement breech plug on your CVA Accurla or LR-X. The breech upgrade lets you shoot modern rifle primers.

Wondering who out there has used it, and if it has had any issues.

Appreciate the feedback 🇺🇸

Last edited:

shelskov

FNG
I'm curious to hear about these, too. Post up when you get youes and what you think of it after testing. Seems pricey but well made. I'd like to hear if it's worth it.

OP
E

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone, after doing some digging, testing, ordering, and testing again I have my muzzleloader “set up”.

Breach Plug-

I ended up getting the Arrowhead Gen 2 LRMP replacement breech plug. I am easily able to prime the modules with my rock chucker press, and de prime with a punch.
-The modules make a tight seal in the breech plug. Which will be nice hunting here in Western WA.
-You will need a flat device to remove the module. Little extra time, but I will take that for a weather tight seal.
-This has eliminated the debris build up at the firing pin when shooting 209 primers.
-I have not had any ignition issues whatsoever ever with the CCI 250 primers Blackhorn 209 combination.
-I have not done any LRMP v’s 209 distance testing. From what I read is the LRMP should have better results at longer distances due to the better burn rate.

Muzzle Brakes-

I initially ordered an anarchy outdoors brake.
-Nicely machined, lightweight, and threaded up great.
-Because of the design it is meant to shoot full conical bullets. There is a lip at the end which looks like a sabot will catch.
-Shot a 1” group at 100 yards with the Powerbelt ELR 330.
-Cut the recoil dramatically

Arrowhead muzzle brake
-Has very nice machining, brake looks great.
-Is over bored than the diameter of the barrel.
-Shooting Parker Production 300gr ballistic extremes with crushed rib sabots. Have not had an issue with with accuracy. The recovered sabots are in tact.
-With some load development (through a scope) I was able to shoot a great group with this setup at 150 yards. I will attach a photo.

For my CVA- LRX setup at the end of the day.
-I have the arrowhead LRMP breech plug primed with CCI 250.
-Shooting Parker production 300gr ballistic extremes.
-Blackhorn 209 powder. (Multiple weighed out load development groups)
-Arrowhead .50 cal muzzle brake
-Williams globe/ peep sight with fine cross hair insert (painted cross hair white)
-Harris Bipod

Obviously every rifle is different, this seems to be the ticket for my rig. As well as sabots and the brake, that combination works for the rifle. Unsure if I would have issues with other combinations.

This was very long winded. The process has been stressful with some lack of information, product shortage, trial, and error. I hope this thread is able to point someone in the right direction.

Attachments

• 86356388-8602-4E74-9A9E-B3A14FBB9A9C.jpeg
    86356388-8602-4E74-9A9E-B3A14FBB9A9C.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 10

shelskov

FNG
Nice. I am interested in the LRMP plug for my Accura LR-X, but it's not cheap. I don't know if the gain is worth the cost.

I run the anarchy outdoors muzzlebrake with Thor 300gr sized to my barrel with BH209 using the factory breachplug with CCI 209s. I like my groups and have been able to consistently hit elk vital sized targets out to 200yds. I don't plan on taking an elk shot at that distance, but I was testing my limits during practice. The area I'm hunting will likely lead to 100yd shots at most anyway.

@EVO6 do you feel any gains you achieved with the LRMP are worth the cost you invested?

OP
E

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I like this setup so far. I have an abundance of magnum rifle primers so it makes sense. The weather tight seal is what I look at the most hunting in western WA (the jungle). I will continue using the LRMP system, especially if I draw tags in other western states that allow scopes. I will be able to be more consistent at longer distances with my burn rates.

OP
E

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Last one I had was at 1988 at 85 grains in the summer time. Should check it again because the powder is temperature sensitive.

OP
E

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Over here in western WA. I was exposed to a full day of rain on Thursday, last day of late elk. Had my muzzle break taped off, and arrowhead LRMP primer in. Rifle went bang and had a dead elk that evening. I like this breech plug system in the WA weather 👍🏻

atmat

WKR
This may be a dumb question, but what does this offer over the $40 CVA Blackhorn replacement breach plug?

Are rifle primers more available or inherently better in some way?

I have the CVA BH breach and have no issues with it (minus finding primers!). But if this offers me some tangible improvement, then I’d like to look into it.

OP
E

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I looked into the arrowhead system because of the weather seal with the primer module, being a Pacific Northwest resident.
The module takes a magnum rifle primer which is essentially a hotter cleaner burn (not nearly as dirty).

I was getting some pressure issues with the BH 209 breech plug. This breech plug fixed that.

I have a tool attached to my powder funnel I am able to remove the module after each shot.

In the end I personally like to upgrade my equipment to be more proficient if I am able to do so. Could I use the original breech plug, yes probably. I was in the elements for the entire day, and we were packing out elk quarters that evening.

Personal preference on systems, and I am enjoying the reliability on how this setup is working for myself.

And if ya have any questions, Luke at Arrowhead rifles answered them for me. 👍🏻

atmat

WKR
Thanks, that’s helpful! It sounds like it’s a solution to a problem that isn’t existing for me (since I deal with less moisture and am having no problem with my breach).

Glad it’s working for you!

Upgraded breech plugs, weighing BH209 loads and going bullet to bore are just small ways to achieve consistency and reliability. Usually that translates to accuracy as well.

I put a bunch of money into my rifle in an attempt to extend the ethical/effective/reliable range as much as possible. Now that NM banned scopes on MLs I'm not sure I would go through that trouble again...

atmat

WKR
Upgraded breech plugs, weighing BH209 loads and going bullet to bore are just small ways to achieve consistency and reliability. Usually that translates to accuracy as well.

I put a bunch of money into my rifle in an attempt to extend the ethical/effective/reliable range as much as possible. Now that NM banned scopes on MLs I'm not sure I would go through that trouble again...
I don’t utilize scopes on my MLs, so that’s kinda where I am. Any minimal gains from updating the setup are largely negated by the fact that I’m using open sights.