CVA Optima Breech Plug Broke X 2

Murph8868

FNG
Pretty new to Muzzleloaders. Was out sighting in my CVA Optima V2. Using Tripple 7 powder.

Started using Thor 300gn bullets. They were very tight but was getting them down. I ended up breaking the shoulder of my breech plug. I assumed I didn't have the bullet fully seated causing a pressure spike.

While at scheels getting a new plug I grabbed some power belt bullets that fit much easier. But while sighting it in it happened again. Now I am wondering if I am packing the bullets to hard? Packing too soft? I run a brush through after each shot and wet swabs every third to clean it out. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Pic is what both looked like after.

Attachments

• 20220905_134904.jpg
    20220905_134904.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
Murph8868

Murph8868

FNG
Wow! That’s interesting. Are you seating the breech plug completely?
I believe so. I am not torqueing it with a tool or anything but it looks to be fully seated each time and I cant turn it any more with my hand. I am more confident that it was tight than I am about the bullet being seated.

Was hoping to see if anyone else had this same issue and what there root cause was. I plan to try again this coming weekend and triple check that the bullet is seated fully. It is just weird that I have had this happen twice now.

Never seen that or heard of it before. My first guess is that there is an issue in the way the front of the plug mates with the barrel. CVAs are notorious for poor quality control and something may be off. I can’t believe that even if the bullet were off the powder slightly it would cause that. I assume you’re using a witness mark on your ramrod so that you know exactly where the bullet is searing each time?

OP
Murph8868

Murph8868

FNG
Each new plug needs to be seated with the tool. That info should be included with the rifle and the plug?
That was one of the first things I looked at when I broke the second breech plug. Here is what the Owners Manual says:

"5. Apply CVA Breechplug Grease or high temperature anti-seize compound to the breechplug threads and replace it in the barrel. Tighten hand-tight only. Over tightening the breechplug can cause it to stick"

Figured I didnt need to "seat" it with a tool. I emailed CVA this morning with the same photo. We will see what they have to say.

OP
Murph8868

Murph8868

FNG
Sent an email to CVA this morning with the same Pic. They called back an hour later saying they wanted the gun back. I am leaving for my trip Thursday morning and they cant ship a replacement to me fast enough. So they said if I am willing I can go buy a replacement at the local shop and they will reimburse me for the cost and the cost of the breech plugs that I bought / broke.

Sucks that I have to spend time driving and re-sighting it in before my trip. But I will feel better about the gun in the field once I know its shooting without issues.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
First, you need to stop buying breech plugs and shooting it. Contact CVA right away. I see the " good " ( and i use that word loosely " is extremely caved inward. To me, i'd suspect the breech plug seat in the barrel is defective. Get in touch with CVA right away and they'll give you a new replacement gun.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Pretty new to Muzzleloaders. Was out sighting in my CVA Optima V2. Using Tripple 7 powder.

Started using Thor 300gn bullets. They were very tight but was getting them down. I ended up breaking the shoulder of my breech plug. I assumed I didn't have the bullet fully seated causing a pressure spike.

While at scheels getting a new plug I grabbed some power belt bullets that fit much easier. But while sighting it in it happened again. Now I am wondering if I am packing the bullets to hard? Packing too soft? I run a brush through after each shot and wet swabs every third to clean it out. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Pic is what both looked like after.
I don’t know that you are doing anything wrong. How much powder are you using. I have not seen this in any of my guns. I have heard of that small rim bowing but not breaking off. It definitely looks like over pressure on the plug. I would call customer service and report the incident and request guidance on the matter.

The key word in the section of the owner's manual that you quote is "replace". That would mean the plug was already installed correctly -USING THE TOOL- and you are REPLACING it in the barrel. The tool should be used anytime you put a new plug in a barrel but only that one time per plug.

Rich M

WKR
The key word in the section of the owner's manual that you quote is "replace". That would mean the plug was already installed correctly -USING THE TOOL- and you are REPLACING it in the barrel. The tool should be used anytime you put a new plug in a barrel but only that one time per plug.
Optima 2 has a hand installed breach plug.

No tool comes with it.