CVA optima v2 LR vs accura v2?

Looking at getting a muzzleloader and totally new to it. Narrowed it to the optima v2 LR and accura v2 or v2 LR. Who has experience with these and any thoughts one vs the other? Id prefer one that i can get to 200 yds with.

Thanks
Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

smy1

FNG
I have optima v2. Very well made. 2 ½ lb trigger. I understand optima and accura barrels both from Bergara, but accura is premium barrel. My optima shoots very well at ½ the price of accura. That was my deciding factor. Availability would also matter since many stores are out if stock.

zandroid

FNG
I have the standard stainless synthetic Optima V2, 26 inch barrel. It's a very accurate rifle. I can put three shots together touching at 100 yards if I do my part. It opens up to an inche or so at 150 yards and 3 inches at 200 yards. I use 100 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 and the 290 grn Barnes TMZ (yellow sabots). I could not get the Barnes TEZ (blue sabot) 290 or 250 grn to shoot consistently out of mine. I can't remember why I never used 250 grn TMZs. I zero at 150 yards, and I believe I hold over 9 inches for 200 yards and it's 3 inches high at 100 yards. I don't have my info in front of me to be sure, but those are pretty close numbers.

I picked the Optimar because of price and I liked the standard stock shape it has better than the goose neck found on the standard Accurra. The Accurra Mountain Rifle is similar to standard Optima V2.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the barrel length. If you can find a ballistics chart for the barrel lengths, it's not much difference between 26, 28, and 30 inch barrels. Like I want to say it's less than 80 fps across all three lengths at 200 yards.

Blackhorn 209 and a tipped bullet (Barnes TMZ/TEZ or Hornady SST or one of the Parkers) are needed, to get to 200 yards with any consistency in the 50 cal muzzleloaders. I never tried the CVA bullets. I have tried Winchester, Federal, and CCI 209 primers and found the CCIs to be the most consistent. The Winchesters burn the cleanest but don't seem to ignite the same each time. I would always get a flyer in three shot group with the Winchesters. The Federals are pretty good, but not as available around me. You need to be consistent with the powder and pressure to seat the bullet/sabot. I only clean the barrel after every three shots. I didn't notice a difference cleaning between each shot. Blackhorn doesn't dirty up the barrel very much. If you aren't familiar with Blackhorn it's hotter than regular black powder/pellets and a magnum or full load in it is 120 grains by volume in the Optima and Accurra. The magnum load is...not fun to shoot and my accuracy falls off quite a bit with it. Though that may have just been the bullets not stabilizing well with the bigger load.

Loctite all of the screws on the scope mount that comes with the Optima. It will rattle the screws loose after few dozen shots. I believe EGW and maybe Warne make picatinny rails for it, but the single base scope mount that comes with it works well.

Last edited:

Joebe

FNG
I have the 50 cal Accura V2, no complaints. I use 110G of Blackhorn 209. Thompson 250 super glides. ! inch gun at 100. Never shot it on paper further than that but did kill a buck at 160 and it hit where I aimed.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 50 cal Accura V2, no complaints. I use 110G of Blackhorn 209. Thompson 250 super glides. ! inch gun at 100. Never shot it on paper further than that but did kill a buck at 160 and it hit where I aimed.
How often do you clean the barrel when shooting the BH209 with the Thompson sabots? Also are you finding any shotgun 209 primers nowadays?

Joebe

FNG
Swab it maybe every 5 shots. The Thompson super glide load pretty good. Still using my stash of shotgun primers. Can’t find much here in north east as far as anything

Damdamdon

FNG
I have an Optima v2, accura pr and an optima v2 pistol. All excellent shooters. The accura doesn't shoot any better than the optima.