CVA Optima vs Accura V2

USMC22

I’ve heard the TC Encore FX is difficult to clean and the Pro Hunter has issues with blowback.

Are the CVA’s any good? Considering an Accura V2 for the Bergara barrel.

This would be my first muzzleloader and I’m in the north east so I’m not taking shots over 300 yards, and that’s probably a stretch.

PAhunter58

I have a CVA Accura Mountain rifle. Absolutely love it. Its light and does kick a bunch on the range after 10-15 shots. Never have to swab at all on the range between shots. But carrying it around the mountain is a breeze at under 7 lbs with scope. Really easy to clean, especially if your using BH209 powder. Switched from pellets to BH209 and never going back. I've even gotten comfortable out to 300 yards using Barnes 290 TEZ sabots. I've found out through allot of shooting, the heavier the bullet, the better ballistics.

OXN939

I’ve heard the TC Encore FX is difficult to clean and the Pro Hunter has issues with blowback.

Are the CVA’s any good? Considering an Accura V2 for the Bergara barrel.

This would be my first muzzleloader and I’m in the north east so I’m not taking shots over 300 yards, and that’s probably a stretch.
Either of the CVAs you mention is a good first rifle. As with everything, there is a learning curve associated with shooting blackpowder, which is better to experience while shooting a rifle that doesn't cost a thousand dollars. If you want to use BH209 as a propellant, make sure to purchase the breech plug they make specifically for that purpose, which is about $20. The only difference is the diameter of the flash hole, but BH209 will not ignite reliably without it.

Mostly, get out there to get familiar with your setup, and budget twice the time you normally would for a range day and cleaning. It's a blast.

PAhunter58

Plus 1 on buying the breech plug OXN939 mentions. Magnum primers too. The Bergara barrel adds to the appeal of a CVA. Really accurate rifle.

2blade

My CVA Mtn rifle can almost produce a 5 holes touching group at 100 yds. Most accurate muzzy I have ever shot.

WaArcher

My CVA Mtn rifle can almost produce a 5 holes touching group at 100 yds. Most accurate muzzy I have ever shot.
Is the Mountain Rifle drilled/tapped for a front sight? I like the looks of the stock on the MR better, but I’m in WA, so no scopes.

blackdawg

MR is not drilled and tapped. My friend has that rifle setup for Colorado, shoots lights out with Williams peep. I have 2 CVA setups, I have NW edition accura setup with 209 primers and caps. Easy adjustments and setup for traveling to states with varying open sight, bullet and ignition system rules, shoots very accurate. I am using Thor bullets in the NW Accura V2 and swapping between Pyrodex loose and BH 209, depending upon the breech plug. My second setup is dead nuts awesome. Accura V2 LR with 2-7 Leupold, Blackhorn 209, Hornady SST Sabot loads. Pure death on anything under 200. I jacked with a few lower end muzzleloaders over the years and would recommend spending the extra to get one that shoots good and is EASY to clean with removable breech plug or it will gather dust like my Thompson Center Renegade does waiting for that one long weekend hunt each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2blade

Like blackdawg said, the mtn rifle is not drilled and tapped for a front sight.

Looney

I’ve had the V2 for a couple of years now. It just flat out shoots. It’s light enough to be fun to carry and tracks as well as anything I’ve ever held.